• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Talk me into a k75 rt

2slowwheels

92 k75rt, 35,000 miles, average condition, abs brakes, $2,400. In my late 60's and looking for a cheap touring ride. Bags, no electric windshield.

Cheap enough. Durable. Some guys love them.
If you're not in a real hurry on your tours, or like to travel light, it could be a good match.

92 k75rt, 35,000 miles, average condition, abs brakes, $2,400. In my late 60's and looking for a cheap touring ride. Bags, no electric windshield.
If it's in good condition, and has had scheduled maintenance, i think you've answered the question. It's a cheap touring ride. Post a pic or two if you get it. Good luck searchin'.

I've got a 1990 K75RT 42,000 miles. Love it!
Get some Avon Roadrider or Michelin tires and a new rear shock on that baby if it needs it and have fun.
I don't know why DeCarlo mentioned speed and load capacity?
I tour on mine all the time and its way fast enough even in the high Colorado mountains. I travel pretty light with only saddle bags and a duffel strapped across the rear seat and a cover on the tail mount. I've ridden two up on it no problem.
Cheap fun if you ask me, and low maintenance, and not too big and heavy and bulky.
Parts still available.

Good weather protection on a very smooth bike (no vibration).:thumb
Inexpensive to maintain if you do your own work.

:dance:dance:dance

Fast enough to get me speeding tickets even when two up and fully loaded! Sounds like a fair buy if it meets the criteria in previous posts. Smoothest of the bricks. Only problem may come from the heat behind the RT fairing.

About 200,000 kms on a 1991 K75RT. Windscreen has wings that can be adjusted to bring air in behind the windscreen. Very handy in warm weather. Heat from engine on right thigh in hot weather can be irritating. Hanging leg out from faring helps cool.

I'm going to look at this K75 and an R1150 RT. I know, vastly different animals but the simplicity and durability of the Brick are appealing. And I've never owned a K75, had other K bikes and BMW twins over the years.

2slowwheels
The only Gotcha is when it get over say 90 F. the K75RT puts off a lot of engine heat.
There's a couple of mods to help this but its still there on my bike.

I like the K75 bikes, actually have a k75S at the moment. But I had, very briefly, a K75RT. After getting it and completely redoing the fuel system among other things, I got quite a shock. You basically, from my point of view, could not ride that bike in the summer. The heat just poured off it. I couldn't believe BMW would even put it out on the market. I tried a lot of fixes, insulating the tank, re-foaming the fairing sides, etc. Nothing worked. It just cooked your legs. Needless to say, it got sold, at a loss of course. So if you plan to ride it in 40 degree weather, it will be great. You get into 60 degrees on up, forget it. And it's not just me. Everyone who has owned one of these will honestly tell you that they are hot, and I mean not just a little warm. If I were you I would think about any of the other K75 models. A much better all around ride, and you can put luggage on all of them. Then there are the R models, which do not have any of the heat issues. The K75RTs are cheap to buy, and look great, but beauty is only skin deep.

R

I rode my brother’s K75 when I was bikeless and he lost interest. I’m 160 pounds and six feet tall. His had a nose fairing on it. It felt like it needed 20 more hp. Go with the R bike! I’ve had nothing but Rs starting with a new 78 R100S, then a 86, a 95RSL and now my favorite a 2007 R1200S. I’m not impressed with the build quality of the newest one though, seems like the hardware corroded much sooner than the older bikes.

Back