• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ticking noise

The Blue Max
Bike has developed a ticking noise but only on left side head the last few weeks, sounds like loose valves. Valves were fine but reset them anyway 200 kms ago, rocker arm end play within limits. Putting bike up for winter layup this aft, changed oil, no particles on magnetic drain plug, runs fine but the noise is concerning. Now at 168000 kms, bike has always run great, regular oil changes. Have my suspicions but would like feedback if possible. Thanks, Gary.

Bike has developed a ticking noise but only on left side head the last few weeks, sounds like loose valves. Valves were fine but reset them anyway 200 kms ago, rocker arm end play within limits. Putting bike up for winter layup this aft, changed oil, no particles on magnetic drain plug, runs fine but the noise is concerning. Now at 168000 kms, bike has always run great, regular oil changes. Have my suspicions but would like feedback if possible. Thanks, Gary.

Recheck the valve clearances....when really cold...you might, for kicks and giggles, check the cam chain for problems...doubt it would have any though...cam chain tensioner would not make "ticking" sounds unless there was a damaged link...

Mine occasionally makes a once-per-rev tick right at startup on the left side for a couple of seconds then goes away. I assume this is the tensioner pressurising which is why I suggested it. I really have no idea though so if I'm wrong I'd be happy to entertain other causes.

Mine occasionally makes a once-per-rev tick right at startup on the left side for a couple of seconds then goes away. I assume this is the tensioner pressurising which is why I suggested it. I really have no idea though so if I'm wrong I'd be happy to entertain other causes.

I just turn my hearing aids off and don’t hear a thing,👂😉

replace the cam chain tensioner if you have not already. I replaced mine with an aftermarket one for both sides, and its not hard to do. The OEM tensioners have pretty weak builds and tend to wear out quick. If the ticking goes away after it warms up, its a big sign they need to be changed, and the left one goes out first because of how its positioned on the engine, I forget the particulars. Look it up on youtube...

Thanks for the replies, among my guesses was the tensioner chain. Noise does not go away after warming up though. A winter project for sure.

Thanks for the replies, among my guesses was the tensioner chain. Noise does not go away after warming up though. A winter project for sure.

Not to be a bit picker but it's the tensioner, which is a plunger cylinder type thing with a spring in it that gets tired. I thought I had a bad bearing until I replaced mine. The whole tensioner can be had from Euro Moto electric for something around $75, or just the spring for under $10. These guys find the source manufacturers for BMW and buy the same parts from them, so it's OEM quality. I'd also recommend a new gasket crush ring as these leak easily, mine did. Also a flat spanner type ratcheting wrench helps as space is tight. The difference between my old and new spring was very small but the result was night and day, no noisy startup! I suggest you call these guys if you have any doubts, they know their stuff.

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/tc-spring584.htm

There are many video's out there addressing this but this video is better than most imho. It's an 1150 but you'll get the gist.

Me tick too

My Best bike ever 2006 gsa with 187000Km has the same ticking most herd when rolling at low speed and just lightly off throttle, noise is from right cylinder bank. After seeing the the fellow working on the same problem with his 1150 it made total sense to me. The parts micro fiche shows the up graded push rod, that being said i did replace the cam chain tentioner's which needed to be replaced thinking that the ticking was from that area but not.
Peter

Back