• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Start-Up Noise

mhallman

I just replaced my HES and installed a new alternator belt (thanks for the help on that GS Addict). The bike (2000 R1100RS) had a whispy noise upon startup before replacing the two parts, and still has the whispy sound. It lasts about 3 seconds. On an earlier post, someone mentioned it may be an old belt, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the issue might be. Would a starter make this kind of noise?

Second issue I have is that I have replaced my brake lines with Spiegler's and replaced the brake fluid. After doing this about a year ago, the front brakes had a very slight drag (could give the front wheel a whirl and it would turn about 3/4 turn). The problem still remains a year later (just replaced brake fluid). Do I need to look in to this further? Just don't want the brakes to decide to close while I'm cruising down the highway.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who help those of us out who are still on a steep learning curve when it comes to wrenching on our bikes. It really is appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks. Won't stress on the starter. By grub screw, do you mean the bleeder screw? I put speed bleeders on and that's when the problem started (new brake lines and speed bleeders at the same time).

On the brake handle, where the push rod meets the master cylinder piston, there is an adjustment, the grub screw.

I like mine a little loose to make sure that I don't introduce residual pressure into the master cylinder.

"Whispy noise" at cold startup

I've noticed the same whispy noise at only cold start up....never after the bike is warm. Just wondering what it could be. Sounds like it's coming from the front of the motor. Have you gotten any feedback? Thanks!

I've noticed the same whispy noise at only cold start up....never after the bike is warm. Just wondering what it could be. Sounds like it's coming from the front of the motor. Have you gotten any feedback? Thanks!

Same noise, only upon cold start on a 2003 R1150rt..Anyone have an idea?

I am not sure what the OP means by whispy noise. But I am familiar with the noises made by starters and by belts. I would describe a noise from a loose belt as a squeal or squeak. The loose belt slips on the crankshaft or alternator pulley as the inertia in the alternator resists turrning until it can catch up.

The starter has a one-way clutch attached to the starter drive. It serves to allow the starter to turn the engine, but to then slip so the engine does not over spin the starter as the starter drive gear is retracting from engagement with the ring gear (flywheel). When that little one-way clutch gets dirty it will make a loud screetch for a second or two as the starter is disengaging.

The cure for the former is to properly tighten the alternator belt. The cure for the latter is to clean the one-way clutch. It is the silver disk right behind the nose gear in the starter. You can see a seam in its construction. I use brake system cleaner sprayed into the seam followed by squirting with compressed air.

So it's not the belt - I'm familiar with that type of squeel. This sounds more like two pieces of paper rubbing together (loudly) and only on a cold start. Will clean as recommended.

I just got a new one but haven't had a chance to put it in yet. Will try to install it in the next week or two...

I just got a new one but haven't had a chance to put it in yet. Will try to install it in the next week or two...

In the absence of a recording of the noise, and apparent elimination of belt tension and starter drive, I'll go with cam chain tensioner.

Having replaced the belt and cam chain tensioner with the noise still persisting, I ended up putting a new starter on (was having slow starting on cold starts) and the noise cleared up. I don't know enough about starters but that seemed to solve the issue.

Having replaced the belt and cam chain tensioner with the noise still persisting, I ended up putting a new starter on (was having slow starting on cold starts) and the noise cleared up. I don't know enough about starters but that seemed to solve the issue.

It would have been the one-way clutch on the starter drive nose gear. Pretty common to screetch when dirty and gummed up. See post #9.

Back