Thread: 04 1150 RT not starting

04 1150 RT not starting

Howdy All Oilheads,

Ok, I have an 04 1150 RT that got me home a couple months back.. but just on a wing & a prayer.

Here is what I found, both main plugs were toast (little over 2K miles). I did discover the HES had the disintegrating insulation issue. Put in new
    HES (due to time restrictions working on bike has taken awhile).

I only use non-ethanol fuel. New plugs, new coils on main plugs, new starter, new battery. Presently I have all 4 plugs out, bike turns over, appears good spark all 4 plugs.
    But, even though I hear fuel pump, no fuel appears to be entering cylinders.

I have turned on key (no choke) 2 times throttle full, turned off bike.

What am I missing? Is it possible the Motronic has an issue? Or am I dealing with a fuel pump & or fuel filter issue?

Thank you for any possible suggestions.
    Last edited by cavedweller22; 11-16-2019 at 11:31 PM.

Since original post

Howdy All again,

Since my original post I removed both fuel injectors, cranked bike, had good fuel spray from both injectors.

Really confused.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!

There are a lot of members really good with Oilheads, they will be along. How is the battery? A good check is the battery voltage while cranking.
    Good luck.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Thank you for the Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

There are a lot of members really good with Oilheads, they will be along. How is the battery? A good check is the battery voltage while cranking.
    Good luck.
    Gary
    Howdy Gary,

The battery is new, and I keep on battery tender after trying to start.
    The bike cranks really good, better than it ever did after I replaced starter (after taking original starter off I determined it needed rebuilding).
    I am at a loss.
    Spark all 4 plugs, fuel injectors misting like one would expect.
    I have tried doing small adjustments to HES then trying to start with same results.

Start with the basics, check fuses and grounds. Actually pull the fuse, look at it and put it back in.

Make sure you have spark.

Make sure your air filter isn't fouled/plugged.

If you have air, and fuel with spark, you need combustion. That's a function of pull, push, bang, blow.

Could be as simple as a timing problem or not enough compression.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Is the timing cup tab in the correct position on the crankshaft after the HES replacement?
    If not, the bike won't start.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Is the timing cup tab in the correct position on the crankshaft after the HES replacement?
    If not, the bike won't start.
    99% certain the tab is correct, but I will take pulley off & check.
    Air filter good, fuel good, spark good.

P.S. I do have an old HES...

After you check the pulley, if it still won’t start, check fuel flow/pressure. It is possible to see some mist from the injectors but not enough to start. The culprit is often something inside the tank, usually the u-shaped hose.

To test it, open the RETURN Quick Disconnect (QD) which is the one on top, then press the check valve in on the male QD (left hand half) without covering its outlet. Next, turn on the key, while then pump is running for a second or so, you should get a strong surge of fuel. If it does, inside the tank is good, if not you’ve got to open the tank and figure out what’s wrong.

servicing inside the tank , (U shaped hose/filter, vibration damper) is pretty important, here is what the U shaped hosed looked like on my bike when I changed it at 20K, of course it was this year and 20+ years after build.
    Another point, you mentioned playing with HES adjustment, did you scribe the location of the old HES before you removed? On the couple units I have replaced installing new in alignment was pretty close to spot on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1994 R1100RS-(5/93)-,1974 R90/6 built 9/73,--1964 Triumph T100--1986 Honda XL600R