• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel filter orientation 1995 K75

rall275

Guys, here's a photo of a '95 Standard K75's fuel filter orientation. Is it correct?The photo from Clymer's shows the seam end of the filter pointing to the short hose, but doesn't depict the arrow. Which is correct? Online comments indicate the opposite so I need verification.

Thanks guys! PS: hope the photos show.

Attachments

• kevfilter.jpg
    kevfilter.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 75
  • clymerfilter.jpg
    clymerfilter.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Manual wrong

So the Clymers is wrong. How many people have their fuel filters on backwards because of the sloppy writing?

Aren’t both of the filters shown in the photos orientated in the same way? I.e. with seam end closest to the short hose?

What am I missing?

Last edited:
I've never referred to a manual when changing the fuel filter. I just note the orientation of the one I am removing and install the replacement with the arrow in the same direction. :scratch

replacing filter

Yes, both the filter I took out of the tank AND the Clymers are showing the filters similarly, and wrongly! Both of those are backwards as the fuel flow should be going the other direction.

Always question

Paul, your replacing the filter in the manner you found it is logical, unfortunately if the person before you installs it wrong and you follow that example, you too will get it wrong. I think it prudent to always check to verify you are installing correctly, especially if the filter may not have previously been installed correctly.

schematic wrong too?

Here is microfiche schematic also showing the filter backward, apparently. Crazy.

Attachments

• kevpump.jpg
    kevpump.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 55
I'm sure the filter made by BMW is constructed only one way, with the seam end NOT facing the small hose, but facing the larger hose for the flow to be correct.

So Clymer's AND the drawing on Bob's is incorrect, as was my filter in my K bike.

Waiting for other input,

Thanks guys!

Yes, both the filter I took out of the tank AND the Clymers are showing the filters similarly, and wrongly! Both of those are backwards as the fuel flow should be going the other direction.

Ahhh, I see what you’re saying now. The way I read your original post, it seemed you were presenting two alternative installations, rather than the identical installation. Not knowing which way the fuel is supposed to flow through those lines, I had no way to get oriented.

I have the same question as above, how would it even run if it was installed backwards and it is a unidirectional filter?

I would just line the arrow up with the direction of fuel flow. The seams may not be controlling - - I could easily see a change in manufacturing process that shifts the seam to another location. The Clymer manual may even be showing a correct installation for that particular filter.

If the filter had been installed backwards, how would the bike even run?? :dunno

Because the filter doesn't care which way the fuel flows through it initially. Take a new one and blow through it and then suck through it. It passes air (and the fuel) either way. The issue comes later, if at all, as to where inside the filter the crud accumulates.

Ahhh, I see what you’re saying now. The way I read your original post, it seemed you were presenting two alternative installations, rather than the identical installation. Not knowing which way the fuel is supposed to flow through those lines, I had no way to get oriented.

I have the same question as above, how would it even run if it was installed backwards and it is a unidirectional filter?

I would just line the arrow up with the direction of fuel flow. The seams may not be controlling - - I could easily see a change in manufacturing process that shifts the seam to another location. The Clymer manual may even be showing a correct installation for that particular filter.

Yes, I agree with the possibility a manufacturing change could've flopped the seam to the opposite end; however, I think the stronger possibility is these depictions in clymers and the microfiche are incorrect and a byproduct of sloppiness. I'll end up orienting the filter in the direction of fuel flow, flowing from the pump's top into the fuel filter. Just puzzled at the confusion on such a simple operation as a fuel filter swap. Sorry for my confusing language earlier.

Thanks!

I must be missing something. Every fuel filter I've installed has had an arrow to indicate the direction of flow. That's how I install them.

It's just a paper filter.
Here's a K bike fuel filter I cut open.

I just wondered if there were some directionality component to the filter as indicated by the arrow. Your photos almost would suggest there are none.

Thanks

I must be missing something. Every fuel filter I've installed has had an arrow to indicate the direction of flow. That's how I install them.

yup. NONE of the manuals or diagrams are wrong. none of them show an arrow on the filter. different companies make filters differently. INSTALL WITH FLOW IN DIRECTION OF THE ARROW! not that hard to do folks...

Chunk, that's the right way for sure. It's just that boneheads like me might just use the photos to go by and get it wrong. :)

Back