Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fuel filter orientation 1995 K75

Fuel filter orientation 1995 K75

Guys, here's a photo of a '95 Standard K75's fuel filter orientation. Is it correct?The photo from Clymer's shows the seam end of the filter pointing to the short hose, but doesn't depict the arrow. Which is correct? Online comments indicate the opposite so I need verification.

Thanks guys! PS: hope the photos show.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rall275; 11-14-2019 at 11:15 PM. Reason: added more

The arrow shows the direction of fuel flow so the seam goes at the hose coming from the pump.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Manual wrong

So the Clymers is wrong. How many people have their fuel filters on backwards because of the sloppy writing?

Aren’t both of the filters shown in the photos orientated in the same way? I.e. with seam end closest to the short hose?

What am I missing?
    Last edited by vark; 11-15-2019 at 12:58 PM.

RK Ryder
    I've never referred to a manual when changing the fuel filter. I just note the orientation of the one I am removing and install the replacement with the arrow in the same direction.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

replacing filter

Yes, both the filter I took out of the tank AND the Clymers are showing the filters similarly, and wrongly! Both of those are backwards as the fuel flow should be going the other direction.

Always question

Paul, your replacing the filter in the manner you found it is logical, unfortunately if the person before you installs it wrong and you follow that example, you too will get it wrong. I think it prudent to always check to verify you are installing correctly, especially if the filter may not have previously been installed correctly.

schematic wrong too?

Here is microfiche schematic also showing the filter backward, apparently. Crazy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm sure the filter made by BMW is constructed only one way, with the seam end NOT facing the small hose, but facing the larger hose for the flow to be correct.

So Clymer's AND the drawing on Bob's is incorrect, as was my filter in my K bike.

Waiting for other input,

Thanks guys!

If the filter had been installed backwards, how would the bike even run??
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by rall275 View Post
    Yes, both the filter I took out of the tank AND the Clymers are showing the filters similarly, and wrongly! Both of those are backwards as the fuel flow should be going the other direction.
    Ahhh, I see what you’re saying now. The way I read your original post, it seemed you were presenting two alternative installations, rather than the identical installation. Not knowing which way the fuel is supposed to flow through those lines, I had no way to get oriented.

I have the same question as above, how would it even run if it was installed backwards and it is a unidirectional filter?

I would just line the arrow up with the direction of fuel flow. The seams may not be controlling - - I could easily see a change in manufacturing process that shifts the seam to another location. The Clymer manual may even be showing a correct installation for that particular filter.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Because the filter doesn't care which way the fuel flows through it initially. Take a new one and blow through it and then suck through it. It passes air (and the fuel) either way. The issue comes later, if at all, as to where inside the filter the crud accumulates.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    Ahhh, I see what you’re saying now. The way I read your original post, it seemed you were presenting two alternative installations, rather than the identical installation. Not knowing which way the fuel is supposed to flow through those lines, I had no way to get oriented.

I have the same question as above, how would it even run if it was installed backwards and it is a unidirectional filter?

I would just line the arrow up with the direction of fuel flow. The seams may not be controlling - - I could easily see a change in manufacturing process that shifts the seam to another location. The Clymer manual may even be showing a correct installation for that particular filter.
    Yes, I agree with the possibility a manufacturing change could've flopped the seam to the opposite end; however, I think the stronger possibility is these depictions in clymers and the microfiche are incorrect and a byproduct of sloppiness. I'll end up orienting the filter in the direction of fuel flow, flowing from the pump's top into the fuel filter. Just puzzled at the confusion on such a simple operation as a fuel filter swap. Sorry for my confusing language earlier.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    It's just a paper filter.
    Here's a K bike fuel filter I cut open.

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I must be missing something. Every fuel filter I've installed has had an arrow to indicate the direction of flow. That's how I install them.