Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Date keeps resetting on 2015 R1200GSA

Date keeps resetting on 2015 R1200GSA

Hey everyone! I have a 2015 R1200GSA, and after a visit two weeks ago to the BMW Burbank shop to switch out tires and have my brakes replaced, my bike started doing a couple weird things. First my brand new front tire was leaking air, then my battery wasnít doing a great job starting the bike, and date on my instrument panel would keep resetting itself to 03/29/00.

I noticed the date thing immediately when picking up my bike after the service was done because my clock was wrong and date read 03/29/00. I set them both, and the clock time has remained accurate ever since. But the date keeps resetting to March 2000 on every start. I replaced the 5 year old battery with a new lithium ion battery, but the date keeps resetting.

I just brought the bike back to BMW Burbank today to address the leak in the front tire. Turns out it was my valve stem, which did not leak before they replaced the tires two weeks ago. They also tried addressing the date. They performed a software update, but that was the extent of what they could do to address the date issue. It still resets to 03/29/00.

Iím going to call BMW Burbankís manager tomorrow to see if they can help me out in any way to further troubleshoot this problem, because I swear I had zero problems until I brought the bike to them two weeks ago for tires and brakes.

Anyway, Iím not trying to bitch about BMW Burbank. But has anyone seen this date issue before?

Thanks!
    Robin
    Robin Leabman
    2015 R1200GSA
    www.RobinLeabman.com

Have you checked or did they check the battery? If it is a 15 it could be due. Put a voltmeter on it. Did they load test the battery? I am pretty sure one of the first things when a battery gets weak is the clock.

Does everything else function and hold current data?
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Quote Originally Posted by AV8Robin View Post
    Hey everyone! I have a 2015 R1200GSA, and after a visit two weeks ago to the BMW Burbank shop to switch out tires and have my brakes replaced, my bike started doing a couple weird things. First my brand new front tire was leaking air, then my battery wasnít doing a great job starting the bike, and date on my instrument panel would keep resetting itself to 03/29/00.

Thanks!
    Robin
    The date change is the fault of the GPS from Garmun. If you go into the apps on the GPS and look at the World Clock, you will see that it says March 8, 2000.
    Garmun knows about it and they are working on a fix. That is what I was told from Gramun when I talked to them earlier this week.

Bill

Welcome to the forum Robin.
    I don't remember where it is but there's a setting you can shut off so your bike does not automatically receive the date and time from the BMW Navigator.
    I believe the problem is only with the Nav V.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!
    Here is a recent thread that may help.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...k-in-Year-2000

Gary

Thanks Lee
    Last edited by Omega Man; 11-14-2019 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Discombobble link
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    Here is a recent thread that may help.
    Gary
    Here's the thread
    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...k-in-Year-2000
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Oh wow! Thanks guys! Iíll take a look at the Nav V date and review the thread.

Thanks again!
    Robin
    Robin Leabman
    2015 R1200GSA
    www.RobinLeabman.com

Welcome to the forum Robin.
    I don't remember where it is but there's a setting you can shut off so your bike does not automatically receive the date and time from the BMW Navigator.
    I believe the problem is only with the Nav V.
    Correct, it works fine with my Nav VI.

The origin of the problem is that the GPS system clock keeps track of weeks since the system went live, and it can only count up to 1024 weeks. Week zero was when the system went live in 1980, so this has happened once before, in 1999. It happened again this year and those of us still using antique GPS units in 2038 will have to deal with it yet again.

Fun story: Around the time of Y2K, the GPS clock rollover was a big deal in the boating world. I had a GPS that needed some crazy process to reset its clock (push 3 keys in sequence, hold two others, face the rising sun, and perform incantations, or some such), which I did and it worked. Two months later I was heading toward Bermuda when someone else dropped our primary GPS overboard. The spare hadn't been reset so worse than not showing the correct time, it had no idea where we were - a big deal on a 32-foot sailboat 250 miles from land, heading for a tiny island. Fortunately it was the same model I had and I remembered the process. Plan C was that I had brought a sextant and knew how to use it.
    2020 R1250 GSA Low

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    Correct, it works fine with my Nav VI.

The origin of the problem is that the GPS system clock keeps track of weeks since the system went live, and it can only count up to 1024 weeks. Week zero was when the system went live in 1980, so this has happened once before, in 1999. It happened again this year and those of us still using antique GPS units in 2038 will have to deal with it yet again.

Fun story: Around the time of Y2K, the GPS clock rollover was a big deal in the boating world. I had a GPS that needed some crazy process to reset its clock (push 3 keys in sequence, hold two others, face the rising sun, and perform incantations, or some such), which I did and it worked. Two months later I was heading toward Bermuda when someone else dropped our primary GPS overboard. The spare hadn't been reset so worse than not showing the correct time, it had no idea where we were - a big deal on a 32-foot sailboat 250 miles from land, heading for a tiny island. Fortunately it was the same model I had and I remembered the process. Plan C was that I had brought a sextant and knew how to use it.
    Thatís a great story! And very informative explanation on the GPS clock

Thanks again,
    Robin
    Robin Leabman
    2015 R1200GSA
    www.RobinLeabman.com

In a related problem my Nav V won't update the bike time. In this case it's a good thing, it hasn't updated the bikes date either to March 2000. The world clock of my Nav V shows March 30, 2000. If the date in the bike is incorrect will that effect service intervals?

Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    In a related problem my Nav V won't update the bike time. In this case it's a good thing, it hasn't updated the bikes date either to March 2000. The world clock of my Nav V shows March 30, 2000. If the date in the bike is incorrect will that effect service intervals?
    In your bike Setup Menu you probably have yours set to GPS Time Off.

Most of us have this set to On so the clock will aromatically reset when you change time zones.
    It also changes the clock for daylight saving time.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

NAV issues

It's a problem a number of NAV owners are currently experiencing. Go to the Garmin Express site and report the issue. They have acknowledged there is a problem but can't commit to a fix and say they are "working on it".

In your bike Setup Menu you probably have yours set to GPS Time Off.

Most of us have this set to On so the clock will aromatically reset when you change time zones.
    It also changes the clock for daylight saving time.
    Thanks Lee but it's set correctly to on. I just hung up with Garmin, they are aware of the issue and are working on it. With the date issue in the GPS I'm glad it's not updating the bike. I've manually updated the bikes time and since I don't have any current trips planed taking me across time zones I'm sure Garmin will have a fix out in time.

Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    Thanks Lee but it's set correctly to on. I just hung up with Garmin, they are aware of the issue and are working on it. With the date issue in the GPS I'm glad it's not updating the bike. I've manually updated the bikes time and since I don't have any current trips planed taking me across time zones I'm sure Garmin will have a fix out in time.
    Guess I don't have to be in a hurry because our bikes may not move until April when we head to Texas Hill Country.
    At least the time is correct on both of our units.
    I called this morning so I get a email when they have a software fix.

Garmin has to work with BMW so that may slow things down.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

The update (fix) has been released on Garmin Express.