Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Anyone using this RCU shelf?

  1. #1

    Anyone using this RCU shelf?

    Hi Everyone:

    I'm interested in purchasing this RCU shelf and was curious if anyone else has this shelf? If yes, how has your experience been? I am wondering about clearances when the windshield is in the down position with any attachments such as a Go Pro, phone or other and basic fit and finish.

    Edit; is there any vibration or is it secured well?

    Thanks!

    RCU Shelf.png
    Last edited by jeffkraft; 11-13-2019 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Added additional data point

  2. #2
    Registered User ExGMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    1,679
    Jeff - I had the previous version on a Hexhead RT (2008). The shelf shaded the instruments well, but anything mounted on it vibrated a lot. Perhaps the newer design will be more stable.

    JG
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key”

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Jeff - I had the previous version on a Hexhead RT (2008). The shelf shaded the instruments well, but anything mounted on it vibrated a lot. Perhaps the newer design will be more stable.

    JG
    Thanks ExGMan, I had one on my '97 R11RT. I used RAM mounts and created some gaskets from a bicycle inner tube that I put between the RAM mount and the shelf. It seemed to help, and may be a solution here too I suppose.

  4. #4
    BMW MOA co-founder bmwdean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ, & Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,395
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

  5. #5
    Registered User BernieEcht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Posts
    239
    Jeff, there are some vibrations, but it's not too bad.
    I do like the RCU shelf for my V-1 and I have my Sena SM-10 mounted on it.
    In the winter, I stick my remote Warm& Safe jacket controller on the shelf.

    2018-09-22 12.44.21-1 copy.jpg
    Bernie Echt
    2018 R1200RT-LC Alpenweiss, starting out fresh
    2007 R1200RT Double Silver sold (188702 Smiles), 2000 R11RT sold (105K)
    BMWSportTouring.com, Bumbling BackRoad Riders™, MOA#92589, BMWNEF, BMW-RA, AMA

  6. #6
    IBA# 5819 61996's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    3,999
    I had one on my RT Rally bike and now have one on my K16GT

    Works great. High quality bit of kit.

    RCU.jpg

    Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by BernieEcht View Post
    Jeff, there are some vibrations, but it's not too bad.
    I do like the RCU shelf for my V-1 and I have my Sena SM-10 mounted on it.
    In the winter, I stick my remote Warm& Safe jacket controller on the shelf.

    2018-09-22 12.44.21-1 copy.jpg
    Excellent, thanks Bernie!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 61996 View Post
    I had one on my RT Rally bike and now have one on my K16GT

    Works great. High quality bit of kit.

    RCU.jpg

    Joe
    Thank you Joe!

  9. #9
    John. jstrube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atwater, CA
    Posts
    1,115
    I have it on my 2015. Very sturdy, I run my V1 on it in a sealed box. I would buy it again.
    John.
    Atwater, CA
    2015 R1200RT

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jstrube View Post
    I have it on my 2015. Very sturdy, I run my V1 on it in a sealed box. I would buy it again.
    Thanks John, appreciate your feedback! What kind of sealed box are you using for your V1? Unfortunately, I have very little impulse control on my '15 RT when it comes to the throttle, so was thinking about getting a V1 to mount on this shelf.

Similar Threads

  1. acc shelf Q
    By 26667 in forum Gear
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 01:12 PM
  2. K100RS acc. shelf
    By jgilemtb in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-17-2009, 08:51 PM
  3. K100 Shelf Help
    By joeangi in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 02:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •