• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Right combo switch

jnrugg

I have a 2002 RT that I had a little drop on the right side 2 years ago.
The right side turn signal switch finally gave up the ghost.
Is there anything repairable in it or should I be looking to replace the combo switch?

TIA!!:wave

I’m cheap. I would look at market place here, Beemer Boneyard, and Ebay for the part. I have had success from all of these.

Whats actually broken? I have some parts for them,
if you know how they are simple to dissasemble - there is a torx hidden screw under the part number label.
Pm me and I'll give you my email.
You can then send me some pictures of what's needed

When you say it gave up the ghost what exactly is it doing. the reason I ask if it just pushes and does nothing to the activate the turn lamp it may need lubed. I have a pair of 01 1150 gs's and I have had them stop working, sprayed wd-40 into the button area and worked it several times to have it start working again. just an FYI..

PM sent to GSAddict.

It first lost it's click and a very soft feel, but it worked like this for 2 years.
Then after riding through rain this summer it wouldn't work at all, but did when things dried out.
Then it would only work if I massaged the bottom of the button.
Now even that won't work.
All other buttons work.

that is how mine felt on both bikes opposite switches. wd40 and worked it, let it set. couple of years latter still working...may help, may not...

Lubing contacts is a temporary fix - the time period unknown.
The switch is defective and has lost its sealing properties if the "lube" gets to the contacts in the first place.

I soldered in a new switch from GSAddict, easy.
But in putting the switch back together, there is a cable guide that I remember taking off but can't remember where it goes.
I should have taken a picture I know.
Anyone have a picture or idea where it goes?
It appears to hook onto somewhere.
It has taken longer to try and figure this out then replacing the switch.

I soldered in a new switch from GSAddict, easy.
But in putting the switch back together, there is a cable guide that I remember taking off but can't remember where it goes.
I should have taken a picture I know.
Anyone have a picture or idea where it goes?
It appears to hook onto somewhere.
It has taken longer to try and figure this out then replacing the switch.

It goes right where all the wires exit. It is full of wires.

Thanks to GSAddict I have successfully replaced the turn signal switch.
However, the starter button is hard to push.
It does go down and the bike starts, but I am afraid something will happen at the worst moment, there is no good moment.
The inside switch seems OK as far as motion.
Is there a piece that goes between the switch and the plastic button?
I am wondering if something fell off and I didn't notice it when I took it apart.
Or an alignment of some sort?

Back