Thread: Ride to Great Falls

Ride to Great Falls

Will any of you be riding to Great Falls from the Philadelphia area? Looks like it's about 2100 miles on highways. I can't take more than two weeks from work and I'm old (just turned 70). My first rally was the Lebanon rally and I really enjoyed the ride down and camping on the way.
    I looked up and saw a running bear. Why do you ask Two Dogs....

Quote Originally Posted by Ragman2 View Post
    Will any of you be riding to Great Falls from the Philadelphia area? Looks like it's about 2100 miles on highways. I can't take more than two weeks from work and I'm old (just turned 70). My first rally was the Lebanon rally and I really enjoyed the ride down and camping on the way.
    Enjoy life. Philly to Buffalo to Port Huron (MI) - Flint - Mackinaw City - Duluth - Either Fargo (I-94) or Grand Forks (US-2) - Great Falls.

Did the trip back in 1998 for the Missoula Rally. Beautiful country. Make sure you see Glacier NP and ride the Beartooth.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Ragman2 View Post
    I'm in the two week window myself, traveling from Maine, thinking I may head down I90 to Cleveland before heading west. I usually travel on secondary highways staying off interstates as much as possible. What's your plan?
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    I'm in the two week window myself, traveling from Maine, thinking I may head down I90 to Cleveland before heading west. I usually travel on secondary highways staying off interstates as much as possible. What's your plan?
    I'm in the initial planning phase. Like, am I going or not. If I go, I will probably camp most nights, weather permitting. As far as interstates are concerned, I don't mind them, especially for such a long trip but getting off now and then is a must. Lebanon was such a short trip, I took mostly back roads. As I look at the 2100 miles (each way) that's a little over 400 miles/day for 5 days if I did the math right. So riding 8 hours for ~5 days will get you there if you ride the interstates. Stopping for pee, gas and food. I took Mountain House on the Lebanon trip and although it's not gourmet, it did fill the stomach and not too bad.

I only wish I had 4 weeks to take some side trips.

So that's as far as I have gone as far as planning.

Sounds like we may have similar plans, lets parallel plan, compare notes and see what happens.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    Sounds like we may have similar plans, lets parallel plan, compare notes and see what happens.
    Sounds like the start of a plan. I have never done 8 hours in the saddle/day.