Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ride to Great Falls

I will be heading out from Charlotte, NC. But being retired usually plan about 300-400 mile days allowing me to stop at any interesting sights I may see, take back roads as much as possible and enjoy the small towns. I am not a camper but will motel it most of the way if not staying with friends.
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    I'll have to check it out, thanks. I've gotten pretty efficient with basecamp and it works flawlessly with the new Nav VI Santa left under the tree this year. My other GPS is a TomTom Rider 400 which use's Tyre for Travel, there was a learning curve there, but with the new Google interface it also works well.
    I use Ride with GPS mainly to plot out a quick route and embed it into a forum or post it in social media.

Basecamp is still my go-to for actual travel planning because I like making waypoints for key points in my ride. Interestingly, I often obtain the waypoint data from Google Maps, paste it into Basecamp's "Find Coordinates" tool, which converts it to my Garmin's waypoint setup. Very handy when planning European tours.

The interesting thing about Furkot is how it combines route planning with finding POIs near to your route.

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    I will be heading out from Charlotte, NC. But being retired usually plan about 300-400 mile days allowing me to stop at any interesting sights I may see, take back roads as much as possible and enjoy the small towns. I am not a camper but will motel it most of the way if not staying with friends.
    You might like US18 west of Sioux City through South Dakota... angling up to I-90 through the Badlands NP or Wind Caves NP areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    You might like US18 west of Sioux City through South Dakota... angling up to I-90 through the Badlands NP or Wind Caves NP areas.
    Thanks! I will check it out. I was actually hoping to take highway 61 out if Ogallala up to Hyannis and on to Spearfish Canyon Lodge. BUT ... my wife has a niece in Armour, SD (quite the metropolis) that is on the NE end of SD which would make your suggestion easy to do. Thanks for the suggestion.

HA .... just checked and 18 is spitting distance to Armour, SD.
    Ed Apelian

I use Ride with GPS mainly to plot out a quick route and embed it into a forum or post it in social media.

Basecamp is still my go-to for actual travel planning because I like making waypoints for key points in my ride. Interestingly, I often obtain the waypoint data from Google Maps, paste it into Basecamp's "Find Coordinates" tool, which converts it to my Garmin's waypoint setup. Very handy when planning European tours.

The interesting thing about Furkot is how it combines route planning with finding POIs near to your route.
    That's my typical planning procedure as well. Google maps is very convenient for locating interesting places and providing gps coordinates for waypoints. I like the road view feature as well. I also use the Kampnik app on my tablet and phone to locate camping areas.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    Thanks! I will check it out. I was actually hoping to take highway 61 out if Ogallala up to Hyannis and on to Spearfish Canyon Lodge. BUT ... my wife has a niece in Armour, SD (quite the metropolis) that is on the NE end of SD which would make your suggestion easy to do. Thanks for the suggestion.

HA .... just checked and 18 is spitting distance to Armour, SD.
    If you do go through Nebraska, NE 2 out of Grand Island is a superb ride through the sandhills. I have not ridden 61, looks pretty good, too.

This is wide open country riding... I love it!

If you do go through Nebraska, NE 2 out of Grand Island is a superb ride through the sandhills. I have not ridden 61, looks pretty good, too.

Highway 2 looks nice but if I did that I'd probably miss 61. So many choices! I love the wide open country once you get out west.
    Ed Apelian

Booger Man

Hwy 2 is a fantastic road. Hills, long sweepers,not much traffic and you get to see a lot of trains too.

Quote Originally Posted by 178592 View Post
    Hwy 2 is a fantastic road. Hills, long sweepers,not much traffic and you get to see a lot of trains too.
    trains???? Ok now you have my attention!

May have to skip 61
    Ed Apelian

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    I know, BTDT way too many times, the route is impossible to see at that scale, but I would be using either 224 to 30 or 18 to 20 in Akron. I thought about going across Ontario and up round Huron and Superior then down to Duluth or cross Sault St Marie into the UP, not sure I want to spend any time in Canada this trip.
    If you go to Glacier NP, you'll most likely want to see the Canadian Park to the North. It's just a comment.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 178592 View Post
    OK ... so I just modified my route and nixed "61" out of Ogallala and now pick up "2" out of Grand Island NE to Hyannis

There better be trains
    Ed Apelian

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    If you go to Glacier NP, you'll most likely want to see the Canadian Park to the North. It's just a comment.
    Is there a road that allows one to travel directly from Waterman Natonal Park into Glacier? As far as I can tell, it does not seem possible, but I hope that I mistaken.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    rallyvolunteers@bmwmoa.org

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Is there a road that allows one to travel directly from Waterman Natonal Park into Glacier? As far as I can tell, it does not seem possible, but I hope that I mistaken.
    No, there is no such road.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar

Waterton Park to Glacier Park

There is no direct route via Google Maps in winter and because a couple of passes are closed due to high snow depth and routing is even less direct. Fairly direct in summer: Starting at Waterton AB (the town inside the park), take highway 5 northeast to highway 6, then south east to USA border and highway 17. Join highway 89 south to St Mary. Turn west to the 'Going to the Sun' highway to the town of West Glacier MT. Reverse if going the other way.

Highway 6/17 and 'Going to Sun' in Montana are closed at time of this writing (January).

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 16.56.12.png
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Going to Sun Road

I saw a news blurb about major construction on going to sun road this year plus another article on shuttle service for park shutting down causing even heavier traffic

D3A1BA40-28CF-499B-A5F5-D24F7F6DC649.jpeg

Above warning was easy to find but you get the idea