Thread: water injection

water injection

Fellow Riders,

Now that Winter has come to the Minnesota Tundra, Riding will be selective. I am curious as if anyone has tried Water Injection into their Steeds. I have read of a fellow that bolted a small engine intake to the exhaust of another small engine, proving that the fuel is wasted due to having the second engine actually running on the exhaust. Or that the gasoline is also used to COOL the engine, so the fellow ( George Wiseman) tweaked the fuel delivery less into an engine and used water to cool it.

I have heard stories from farmers that would use water to cool their tractors,

Anyway.... where is the nay sayers to rebuttle my arguemnet?

hfbmw Tim Lindstrom
    Columbia heights MN
    K1200RS, R1150RT and K75RT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I have heard of this some time ago......more complicated than I could get involved with. We used to use water down the carburetor to shake the carbon loose. I canít say it really helped.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Tim -

Here's some discussion of a system a number of years ago:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...uirt-and-BMW-s
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by hfbmw View Post
    Fellow Riders,

Now that Winter has come to the Minnesota Tundra, Riding will be selective. I am curious as if anyone has tried Water Injection into their Steeds. I have read of a fellow that bolted a small engine intake to the exhaust of another small engine, proving that the fuel is wasted due to having the second engine actually running on the exhaust. Or that the gasoline is also used to COOL the engine, so the fellow ( George Wiseman) tweaked the fuel delivery less into an engine and used water to cool it.

I have heard stories from farmers that would use water to cool their tractors,

Anyway.... where is the nay sayers to rebuttle my arguemnet?

hfbmw Tim Lindstrom
    Columbia heights MN
    K1200RS, R1150RT and K75RT
    Urban legends, lies and scams I tell you!
    Seriously, there is a lot of misconception going around about combustion, some from ignorance and some intentional tell you stuff. Water injection made sense in WW2 fighters where max power was literally a life saver, and engine metallurgy had a lot to learn. It cooled the cylinder charge and prevented preignition.
    If you are suffering with preignition on a modern engine today, you have some other problem causing it.
    Gasoline introduction into a hot cylinder does have a cooling effect, especially in direct injection cars, but the evaporated fuel isn't lost, it's simply vaporized and eventually combusted. Using less fuel and cooling the cylinder with water will simply result in less power because of the reduced fuel. You will also likely screw up the mixture ratio which is critical for bother engine performance, cleanliness, and proper catalytic converter operation.