• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

water injection

HFbmw

Fellow Riders,

Now that Winter has come to the Minnesota Tundra, Riding will be selective. I am curious as if anyone has tried Water Injection into their Steeds. I have read of a fellow that bolted a small engine intake to the exhaust of another small engine, proving that the fuel is wasted due to having the second engine actually running on the exhaust. Or that the gasoline is also used to COOL the engine, so the fellow ( George Wiseman) tweaked the fuel delivery less into an engine and used water to cool it.

I have heard stories from farmers that would use water to cool their tractors,

Anyway.... where is the nay sayers to rebuttle my arguemnet?:)

hfbmw Tim Lindstrom
Columbia heights MN
K1200RS, R1150RT and K75RT

I have heard of this some time ago......more complicated than I could get involved with. We used to use water down the carburetor to shake the carbon loose. I can’t say it really helped.
OM

Fellow Riders,

Now that Winter has come to the Minnesota Tundra, Riding will be selective. I am curious as if anyone has tried Water Injection into their Steeds. I have read of a fellow that bolted a small engine intake to the exhaust of another small engine, proving that the fuel is wasted due to having the second engine actually running on the exhaust. Or that the gasoline is also used to COOL the engine, so the fellow ( George Wiseman) tweaked the fuel delivery less into an engine and used water to cool it.

hfbmw Tim Lindstrom
Columbia heights MN

Urban legends, lies and scams I tell you!
Seriously, there is a lot of misconception going around about combustion, some from ignorance and some intentional tell you stuff. Water injection made sense in WW2 fighters where max power was literally a life saver, and engine metallurgy had a lot to learn. It cooled the cylinder charge and prevented preignition.
If you are suffering with preignition on a modern engine today, you have some other problem causing it.
Gasoline introduction into a hot cylinder does have a cooling effect, especially in direct injection cars, but the evaporated fuel isn't lost, it's simply vaporized and eventually combusted. Using less fuel and cooling the cylinder with water will simply result in less power because of the reduced fuel. You will also likely screw up the mixture ratio which is critical for bother engine performance, cleanliness, and proper catalytic converter operation.

Jets

Water injection was used on early turbine engines, straight jets to cool them down, otherwise they would have melted and only used at take off power. I own a Mooney M20C that is known for getting water in the tanks and being hard to completely drain out of the sumps. I can tell you most certainly that piston engines do not like water. Nothing like a sputtering engine at 500 feet and past the end of the runway.
This is a myth. If a engine is running off the exhaust of another engine the first one is running incredibly rich.

Fellow Riders,

hfbmw Tim Lindstrom
Columbia heights MN

I'm going to call bogus on the second engine running off the exhaust of a first.
Gasoline has a very narrow air/fuel ratio range within which it will ignite. The stoichiometric ratio is 14.7:1, meaning 14.7 part of air to one part of fuel. You can move about 2 parts in either direction from there, getting lean or rich, and still get the mixture to ignite. Beyond that it just won't burn.
If your first engine is running so rich that it's exhaust is ignitable by the second engine, I suspect it would be too rich to even ignite in engine one.
If the second engine is turning over, and the two engines are hard piped together, you may well have a case where the first engine is simply driving the second's piston up and down due to the pressure of its exhaust gases, much like an exhaust can drive a turbocharger's turbine.

Back