• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart III vs. Michelin PR4GT - Longevity Test

moshe_levy

Hi All

In its latest ad campaign, Dunlop claims its Sportmax Roadsmart III tires last substantially longer than Michelin's Pilot Road 4GT. I ran them both on my commuting cycle to verify - tune in to find out the results!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QWINGVeF_YM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-MKL

Thanks for the comparison.
Do you happen to have any pictures of the rear Dunlop when the mileage was in the 12,000 to 14,000 mile range.

Hi,

No, I don't. I only took pictures right before replacement.

-MKL

You wore the rear Dunlop down more than I would be comfortable with, but it's nice to know you can wear down the center most thread groove without seeing cords.

For me our Dunlops are about at the point where I like to change them.
The red line shows where I measured the depth.
My wife has 2/32" remaining and I have 3/32" remaining.

Tire Deb 7,570 miles 2.5 32 inch - Copy.jpg

Tire Lee 8,330 miles 3 32 inch - Copy.jpg

Here's our PR4s. Same bikes and about the same mileage as the Dunlops.
I consider the PR4 done when the center sipe is gone.
P1040476.JPG

I had pretty close to the same experience with the Roadsmart III tires. I am now trying a 3rd option with the Conti road attack III tires (bought with a $60 rebate). If they stand the test of equal mileage as the Roadsmart tire, they will be my go to choice. The haven't cupped at all unlike both of the tires you reviewed. Pricing falls in the middle of these two.

I have not run Road Smart IIIs on any bike, but I mounted them for two riders. They are a SOB to mount and placed on earth by Satan to vex mankind.

I have not run Road Smart IIIs on any bike, but I mounted them for two riders. They are a SOB to mount and placed on earth by Satan to vex mankind.

Henzilla mounted our back tires. I don't remember if he swore much during the process.

Blanco (2).JPG

Last edited:
Moshe

Thanks for the comparison review, I'm using the Dunlops and hoping for similar results on my 17 RT.

Michelin's premature wear was disappointing.

Back