Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Increase horsepower!

You guys have to excuse me - I need to go into the garage and put 5 bottles of STP in my crankcase, and final drive.

E.

Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    You guys have to excuse me - I need to go into the garage and put 5 bottles of STP in my crankcase, and final drive.

E.
    That's a great idea. If you come out to the Big Bend I'll help pour it in.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Left Coast Rider

E.
    I'm surprised STP isn't sold in tubes like toothpaste.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

E.
    Kinda interesting. I just used a similar product to insert rubber/bushing “dog bone” isolators into the “dog bone” components that stabilize the torque from the rear axel(s) on a friends Peterbuilt.
    It’s a case where the heat cold combination would have worked other than the component size.
    The product allowed me to push the components in using the 10 ton press without going to the 20 ton press.
    If you have some precision parts to fit, it’s worth the try.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Forty years ago I had a friend who worked for a company that made the hemisphere shaped roofs for grain silos. These metal hemispheres were pressed out of a single large sheet of steel. The press was large as you might imagine. The company used a lubricant so that the process didn't tear the metal. After having problems with the metal tearing in the press the company finally settled on STP purchased in 55 gallon drums which was applied with a mop. According to my friend, Mike, this solved the problem. Not recommended for wet clutch bikes, or much of anything else on a BMW, but great for silo roofs.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Forty years ago I had a friend who worked for a company that made the hemisphere shaped roofs for grain silos. These metal hemispheres were pressed out of a single large sheet of steel. The press was large as you might imagine. The company used a lubricant so that the process didn't tear the metal. After having problems with the metal tearing in the press the company finally settled on STP purchased in 55 gallon drums which was applied with a mop. According to my friend, Mike, this solved the problem. Not recommended for wet clutch bikes, or much of anything else on a BMW, but great for silo roofs.
    Sure but how much extra horsepower did they get?

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Sure but how much extra horsepower did they get?
    That depended entirely on how many horses ate the grain stored in the silo with the STP lubricated roof dome.

Nobody said the engine horse power would increase; just that horsepower measured at the rear wheel would increase. Maybe the claim on the can seems a bit farfetched but I don't read into it something it doesn't say.
    However, you did read "rear wheel" into it. It only says increase horsepower.
    F850GSA

MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    However, you did read "rear wheel" into it. It only says increase horsepower.
    Indeed I did because the chain attaches directly to the sprocket on the rear wheel and not directly to the engine. And when a person uses a dyno to measure horsepower it is almost always a wheel dyno measuring rear wheel horsepower. I have never heard of a bike owner removing the transmission to measure horsepower at the crankshaft.

Left Coast Rider
    That depended entirely on how many horses ate the grain stored in the silo with the STP lubricated roof dome.
    Nice.

It's easy to increase HP 200%!

Last edited by tanker4me; 11-11-2019 at 10:29 PM.
    We are all here for a spell, get all the good laughs you can.
    Will Rogers

Indeed I did because the chain attaches directly to the sprocket on the rear wheel and not directly to the engine. And when a person uses a dyno to measure horsepower it is almost always a wheel dyno measuring rear wheel horsepower. I have never heard of a bike owner removing the transmission to measure horsepower at the crankshaft.
    And... The packaging clearly states that the product is intended for "driveline maintenance", so rear wheel, not crankshaft, horsepower is implicit in the claim. Whether or not this product is any more effective than its competitors I still believe would be difficult to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post

Welcome to the forum!

Gary
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tanker4me View Post
    Rare 6 stroke motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Yes, we all remember when BMW's commercials proclaimed shaft drive was the only real alternative. Did they lie or just forget....Marketing.

It still is ... you don't notice them bragging about the chains on their lesser models.

They didn't brag about the $400 belt every 24K miles on F800s either.

It's of course assumed on the S1000RR ... no problem.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S