Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The elusive R100CJ (R100 Classic for Japan)

R100 'Classic' Correction

The correct post # is 851. I suffer with CRS Syndrome. Now what were we discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    A few years back, I was in Omaha, Nebraska. Went to the BMW for a visit. Wondering around that little dealer, back in the back and hidden around the corner I ran into the elusive beast, the R100 'Classic'. Dumb me, I took only one
    pick. It's on my Ride, Eat, and Meet thread in the South. Post #351. Check it out. I guess if I could copy and paste I could move it over here. But I've forgotten the procedure.
    Wow...thanks Barryg, I just checkout that Thread, some really interesting photos there! Although I now live in Australia, I have fond memories of camping with my kids in Nebraska on road trip some 18 years ago. I'll post some more pics of my R100CJ (aka the Japanese version of the R100 Mono Classic), when I get a little free time.

The correct post # is 851. I suffer with CRS Syndrome. Now what were we discussing.
    Here's the link to the post:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...=1#post1011764
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thx. I remember being at the dealer, nice little place. Walking around the showroom, saw the usual selection of new bikes. Walked around the corner and saw the R100 'Classic' WOW!, kinda cool; don't see these every day. Went back to the front and told Richard that R100 was a rare model. Richard smiled and said your the first customer to properly IDed the bike. He said something to the effect, you know your bikes. I kinda walked around a little cocky, just teasin.

A few years back, I was in Omaha, Nebraska. Went to the BMW for a visit. Wondering around that little dealer, back in the back and hidden around the corner I ran into the elusive beast, the R100 'Classic'. Dumb me, I took only one
    pick. It's on my Ride, Eat, and Meet thread in the South. Post #351. Check it out. I guess if I could copy and paste I could move it over here. But I've forgotten the procedure.
    Thx. I remember being at the dealer, nice little place. Walking around the showroom, saw the usual selection of new bikes. Walked around the corner and saw the R100 'Classic' WOW!, kinda cool; don't see these every day. Went back to the front and told Richard that R100 was a rare model. Richard smiled and said your the first customer to properly IDed the bike. He said something to the effect, you know your bikes. I kinda walked around a little cocky, just teasin.
    Thanks all for your replies, some really interesting theories there as the origin of the R100CJ. I've uncovered a little more information as follows.

Here is a R100 that was sold by a Japanese importer/dealer called Ritmo Serono: http://www.ritmo-sereno.com/usedbike...11/001162.html
    Interestingly, this bike is being called a R100 Trad. Now, I don't know if that is a Japanese/English Google Translate nuance, but the bike in the picture, looks 99% the same as my "R100CJ Mono Classic".....same seat detailing, and the same extended black luggage rack.

So...one clue leads to another, so I now start hunting around for "R100 Trad" and come across this interesting Japanese website https://www.bikebros.co.jp/catalog/7/7_19/ which again, shows an R100 that looks very close to mine.....but the website text is also intriguing, quote.."R100 that appeared in July 1990 and was imported and sold for only two years (named R100 Trad in Japan) is a model in which 100 units were imported in the first year and 100 + and units were imported in the following year"

If someone can verify with Ritmo Serono that the "R100 Trad" is the correct term, and in fact 200+ of these bikes were imported into Japan between 1990-92, then perhaps the R100 Trad is the real "cousin" of the R100 Mono Classic that made it's way to the USA during 1991/92.
    Last edited by ozziex7; 11-13-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I received some input from Tom Cutter. He says they were essentially the same as the R100 Classic sold in the US. They were the same as the early '85/86 R80s with the 1000cc engine and no fairing. He's not sure, but it's possible there was an over production situation and they were marketed in Japan.
    Hi there...apologies, I must have missed your original post/reply. Thanks for the information (from Tom Cutter as well). I'm going to create a new post about these Japanese R100s. They were actually marketed in Japan as the R100 Trad, and they were in fact originally destined for the Egyptian Police, but they cancelled their order, BMW did some re-configuration, and they ended up shipping around 200 of these bikes to Japan during 1990/91. Watch out for that post and I'll included references and some photos.

You indicate you are going to create a new post. Do you mean a new thread besides this one? My suggestion would be to continue these discussions about this unique Airhead within this same thread...that way someone will find all information in one spot in the future.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Is anybody else starting to sense of familiarity to the old debunked "Belgian Police R 100RS Special Edition" story?

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    Is anybody else starting to sense of familiarity to the old debunked "Belgian Police R 100RS Special Edition" story?

Friedle
    Belgian, Egyptian, Ethiopian, one of those countries that end in "ian" for sure. I know it must be true, I heard it sitting around a campfire at a rally and on the internet too. Heinrich himself told me that a few years ago for sure.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 11-27-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

To hech with all that, think I'll just get me a 1980 R100 Exclusive Sport.

To hech with all that, think I'll just get me a 1980 R100 Exclusive Sport.
    Be sure to get the one with the big valves.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

You guys are too funny.....my post comes across a little serious I know So have a go at digesting this follow up (new) Thread) https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...0-Mono-Classic

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    You indicate you are going to create a new post. Do you mean a new thread besides this one? My suggestion would be to continue these discussions about this unique Airhead within this same thread...that way someone will find all information in one spot in the future.
    Hear what you say....but the R100 Trad is sufficient different to warrant (in my opinion) a new Thread :-) https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...0-Mono-Classic

I'll try to find the packet and post a pic. Back when I saw those , I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I was checking out the loaded KLT, KRS, GSPD, GS. I didn't give the 'Classic' so much as a second looked. I do remember that it was pretty reasonably priced. Thing was when you paid extra to get a windshield, heated grips, crash bars, bags and racks and all those other extra's, the bike was as or more expensive than those top of the line models.
    Hey Barry, did you manage to find those old brochures/photos of the R100 Classic from 1991/92?