Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Nav V stuck in Year 2000

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Statement from Garmin

[COLOR="#0000CD"]BMW NAV IV and BMW NAV V Time and Date are Incorrect

We’ve identified an issue with this product that causes the date and/or time to be wrong after the GPS Rollover on November 3rd, 2019. However, all functions not dependent on date and/or time will continue to work normally.
    Thanks for this information Lee. From the Garmin website, here's a little more technical stuff but it seems to be a bit old:

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 7.41.00 PM.png
Views: 240
Size:  274.7 KB
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key”

I would encourage anyone who owns a Nav V to contact Garmin support to be added to the case.
    In my previous life as a field analyst I often ran in situations where support was far more responsive to demands from large customers or a large group of customers.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

this will make certain apps not work correctly , where I've been, tracks,world clock.my motorcycle,maybe live photo too. some of us use these app and are part of what we paid for when purchasing the unit.BMW has dumbed down the available functions compared to other garmin units to begin with with their specs for Garmin why do users have to pay premium prices and not get what theey paid for.
    Knick
    R1200GS
    Vespa ET4

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I’m definitely not a Garmin/GPS guru......but I have a few. I just checked 3 Garmin units, one quite old, and they have all picked up date and time.
    I’m not sure how this relates to the Nav-V but this thread got me wondering
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I just checked 3 Garmin units, one quite old, and they have all picked up date and time.

OM
    I take it they picked up the correct date and time?

I have not checked my Garmin Nuvi since it looks like the problem is on with the Nav IV and V.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Statement from Garmin
    For the BMW Motorrad NAV IV - update the device software by following the steps in Updating Automotive Maps and Software with Garmin Express to correct the issue.
    If they figured out the Nav IV maybe it will not be long before they have the Nav V fix.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

...never too much lefse

Sounds like all Nav V should be affected

Statement from Garmin
    BMW NAV IV and BMW NAV V Time and Date are Incorrect
    We’ve identified an issue with this product that causes the date and/or time to be wrong after the GPS Rollover on November 3rd, 2019.
    For the BMW Motorrad NAV V - We are currently working on a software update that will address this issue. Please contact Product Support to be put on an email distribution list to be notified after the software has been released.
    I thought I may be one of the few people affected by this issue since I could not find any other information about it. I'm glad I brought it up but the discussion leaves me a little confused on the problem resolution status:
    1. It sounds like all of the Nav V units may be affected by this and, according to Garmin's response, it may never get resolved.
    2. Not sure why they agreed to send me a replacement unit since no one else seems to have gotten that type of response. I assume it is a replacement Nav V unit. (Nav VI would have been sweet) If so, I will be pleasantly surprised if it does not have the 11/3/19 GPS rollover issue.

How many Nav V owners have a proper date setting in their unit? Probably none but they just aren't aware of it yet. Even if you think a bad date is not a big deal, I would suggest every Nav V owner get registered on Garmin's problem list/log. Maybe that would help increase the possibility of a proper fix.

Shipment tracking indicates I might receive my replacement unit from Garmin later this week. I will report back here with the replacement's status, regarding year setting.
    Robert Horton
    riding - 15 R1200GSW
    gone - 95 K75RT

NAV 5 stuck in year 2000

Wow! Just bought a brand new r1250gs last Saturday. Tuesday I went back to the dealer to take my phone and gps mounts off my trade in bike and talking with the sales manager about gps units (I have a Montana and LM396) he explained about the BMW NAV units, the features looked very cool. Even though the new TFT display does replicate some of the functionality. I hesitated to spend another 1000 bucks after shelling out for the new bike on Saturday (I used all my "happy wife" chits getting the new bike) but he mentioned he had a used Nav V he would sell. We talked about the differences between the V and VI and I agreed to buy the used unit (luckily I was able to convince my wife I saved half the price of a new unit, so she would not kill me!). I took the unit home, updated the maps, wiped out the previous owners active tracks, routes and waypoints (which by the way, the previous owners active tracks appear to have valid dates). Yesterday went out for a 200+ mile ride on the new bike and NAV unit and this morning I was uploading the tracks into Basecamp when I discovered the "April 2000" issue with the active tracks. Google search and Adv Rider pointed to this thread, so here I am! Guess I will be calling Garmin first thing Monday.

Seems like they would have the same rollover problem with the NAV VI since I would think the code base for the similar units would be shared. I have been a Garmin guy for a long time, I use Basecamp to plan rides all the time and use it heavily to plan multi-day bike trips which I want to hit very specific roads. I hope Garmin comes through with a fix, but it doesn't sound like this issues renders your NAV V totally useless since it looks like its big impact is the incorrect date in the track time stamp. I will have to investigate where the bike gets the date/time to make sure it is not picking it up from the GPS unit.

There are a couple of things I find strange with that issue. Wasn't the roll over date April 6 2019?
    Why did this come out on the Nav V on Nov 3 2019?
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    There are a couple of things I find strange with that issue. Wasn't the roll over date April 6 2019?
    Why did this come out on the Nav V on Nov 3 2019?
    It has to do with time offset that is apparently commonly built into GPS units. The Nav system in my truck (and countless others of the same brand) was slated to go wonky on Nov. 3rd due to the date rollover issue. And the vendor who sold the Nav/radio units to the mfg was having huge issues trying to push out an over-the-air update to resolve the issue. I and many others ended up downloading the patch to usb and using the usb stick to load the update. So, this is certainly not a Garmin-only issue. Somewhere over on the truck forum there was a long-winded explanation of the rollover issue and the date offsets used in gps units, but I can’t locate it now...

Best,
    DeVern

https://www.gps.gov/cgsic/meetings/2017/powers.pdf
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Thanks for this information Lee. From the Garmin website, here's a little more technical stuff but it seems to be a bit old:

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 7.41.00 PM.png
Views: 240
Size:  274.7 KB
    John, could you ask Garmin if an e-mail address could be provided to send the info for incorrect NAV V date/time? It seems to me this would be a better way to insure that Garmin had the correct info needed (mainly users' e-mail address & unit serial #).
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

...never too much lefse
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
    John, could you ask Garmin if an e-mail address could be provided to send the info for incorrect NAV V date/time? It seems to me this would be a better way to insure that Garmin had the correct info needed (mainly users' e-mail address & unit serial #).
    Garmin does not make it transparent....you need to go to their support site, click on any of the preprogrammed problem links and you will finally see the email button down at the lower right of that page. For example, try this link and click on one of the problem buttons.
    https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?pr...ceerrormessage
    Robert Horton
    riding - 15 R1200GSW
    gone - 95 K75RT

Quote Originally Posted by sleeper View Post
    Garmin does not make it transparent....you need to go to their support site, click on any of the preprogrammed problem links and you will finally see the email button down at the lower right of that page. For example, try this link and click on one of the problem buttons.
    https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?pr...ceerrormessage

Thanks for posting that Robert. Turns out that the NavV is not the only system affected:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_Week_Number_Rollover
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key”

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    If you have this problem, perhaps you could restrict your riding to the mid west. They have always been 20 years behind either coast.

Friedley
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    If you have this problem, perhaps you could restrict your riding to the mid west. They have always been 20 years behind either coast.

Friedley
    Indeed that is true. Behind in corruption. Behind in crime. Behind in incivility.

But back on topic, where does the Nav V display the date? I have never seen a date on any of my many GPS devices since 1998. But I never looked for it either.

How far to the waypoint: GPS. What is the date: Luddite wristwatch
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/