Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Nav V stuck in Year 2000

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

But back on topic, where does the Nav V display the date?
    You have to hunt for it.
    Go to Apps, then World Clock.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

But back on topic, where does the Nav V display the date? I have never seen a date on any of my many GPS devices since 1998. But I never looked for it either.
    You can find the date in the "World clock" and the "Where I've been" apps. Time stamps on tracks also use the gps date.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

I now need to amend my earlier comment about the date. I did find the date on the World Clock display on both my Zumo 660 and Voni's Zumo 660 (like the Nav IV I think). Garmin is truly the land of the weird. Voni's 660 displays today's date, November 18, 2019. My 660 displays April 3, 2000. Both units show the same operating system - 5.10.

Since I didn't even know they displayed the date I don't guess it will bother me a lot.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 11-18-2019 at 06:01 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I now need to amend my earlier comment about the date. I did find the date on the World Clock display on both my Zumo 660 and Voni's Zumo 660 (like the Nav IV I think). Garmin is truly the land of the weird. Voni's 660 displays today's date, November 18, 2019. My 660 displays April 3, 2000. Both units show the same operating system - 5.10.

Since I didn't even know they displayed the date I don't guess it will bother me a lot.
    As always, when in doubt just follow Voni!

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by sleeper View Post
    Garmin does not make it transparent....you need to go to their support site, click on any of the preprogrammed problem links and you will finally see the email button down at the lower right of that page. For example, try this link and click on one of the problem buttons.
    https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?pr...ceerrormessage
    Thank you, Robert. I found the link & sent the e-mail. Now to wait.....
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

Interesting thread ....

I do not have a Nav V, but for kicks last night I checked my Garmin Nuvi 550, which I purchased around Christmas 2011.
    I subsequently purchased the lifetime maps update, and do that as well as updating BaseCamp and other unit updates at least once a year.

When I checked the World Clock, it showed 9:55 pm on April 3, 2000. It now shows 9:18 am on April 4, 2000.
    I had never looked at the date on the unit before and there appears to be no way to reset or change the date.
    Bob Smith
    1998 R1200C
    2005 Rocket III

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Holy Y2K Batman
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Gotta get back in time!! (ala Huey Lewis and The News)
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

...never too much lefse

Looks like I did not get lucky

Received the replacement today. Checked that it had a 2019 date. It was 2019. Wrong day and time but that was to be expected since the battery needed to be reconnected.

On to the update: No firmware update needed for the replacement unit. The maps needed to be updated, as well as some obscure features for Fiji and Macedonia and other places I will not be taking my motorcycle to visit.
    After a charge on the battery, I turned it on, got a satellite connection and had the time updated. Checked World Clock and ..... I am back to the year 2000.

What was the point of them doing an RMA and replacement?
    On top of that, the refurbished unit they sent me thinks it is a new setup every time I turn it on. It asks me to Accept their voluminous User Agreement. I do. And the next time I turn it on, it goes through the same routine. That will get old very quick. I should have kept my perfectly functioning Year 2000 unit instead of getting a "new" imperfectly functioning Year 2000 unit.

Unless Garmin provides a correct firmware update, the solution is simple: Turn off the automatic update setting on your bike, to avoid bringing in a bogus date. Also, I do a lot of commuting to work on my bike, which involves riding during sunrise and sunset times. The color mode will NOT properly update automatically since sunrise/sunset in the GPS is off by about 90 minutes. So, you need to plan on not getting the Automatic Night Mode to kick in (or off) and will have to set it manually before you start riding. For me, the simplest setting will be to simply leave it in Night Mode most of the time. I wish I knew that 2 weeks ago before I made my initial posting here.

My final take away on this whole fiasco is that this HAD to be known by Garmin. Even if they did not feel like spending any time fixing it, at least they could have done some kind of notice in Garmin Express to advise owners of the situation. A little proactive information would have allowed any users that were affected by it to at least be aware of it and not waste time on a DIY solution that would not work, or waste time and money sending a normal Nav V back for a replacement that does not seem to be fully functional.
    Robert Horton
    riding - 15 R1200GSW
    gone - 95 K75RT

Quote Originally Posted by sleeper View Post

Also, I do a lot of commuting to work on my bike, which involves riding during sunrise and sunset times. The color mode will NOT properly update automatically since sunrise/sunset in the GPS is off by about 90 minutes.
    I had noticed my Zumo 660 did this - not knowing correct sunrise and sunset so just set it to daylight mode since I usually don't ride much after dark - too many critters.

Now that I have discovered it thinks it is April instead of November this may make sense.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

FWIW, this afternoon I took out my old Garmin GPSMap 76CS which I last used in 2007. I put in two fresh AA batteries, turned it on and put it out on the back deck so it could find itself. It did, and also told me that the date was 11/19/2019. The time was correct too. What an odd thing this is...
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    FWIW, this afternoon I took out my old Garmin GPSMap 76CS which I last used in 2007. I put in two fresh AA batteries, turned it on and put it out on the back deck so it could find itself. It did, and also told me that the date was 11/19/2019. The time was correct too. What an odd thing this is...
    I have one of those as well. It checked out ok as I mentioned in an earlier post, its an older unit and its never been updated.
    Im behind in updates........could this be why they are still working fine?
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I just looked at the Garmin website Gary and it says I can update my "Legacy" Garmin GPSMap 76CS. First I have to DL the "WebUpdater." This file is dated 2012. I think I'll keep it in its pristine "old" status...
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    I just looked at the Garmin website Gary and it says I can update my "Legacy" Garmin GPSMap 76CS. First I have to DL the "WebUpdater." This file is dated 2012. I think I'll keep it in its pristine "old" status...
    Yeah John, why mess up a good thing

Along the lines of GPS, Im glad I dont have to use a GPS to get around, plot my route, plan my trip. Running at about 50% success, my last GPS guided trip ran me into yet another narrow dead end. A quarter-mile back out with 40 of truck and trailer was another reminder (to me) of the goofy lack of accuracy associated with GPS
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by hexst View Post
    this was my response to that
    So a 900 dollar investment in safety and navigation is comprimised after two years this is comepletely unacceptable.
    I've been in the GPS timing industry since 1985 - there are two aspects to GPS as the system is a series of flying atomic clocks that broadcast "This is where I am, and this is what the time is". From that information from 4 satellites, it is possible to determine X, Y, Z as well as time to nanoseconds.

The first occurrence of GPS Week Rollover hammered the industry (except for one German timing company that had the foresight to not be restricted by the # of bits assigned to the week rollover situation - they doubled the amount of bits and thus have had no issues with the week rollover that occurs about every 19.2 years.

Of course a positioning company like Garmin could give a rat's posterior about the impact on time - they do NOT care - they are lazy. Thus their bogus response that "Well, the units still give good position".
    JWMcDonald
    2016 R1200RS (current)
    2003 R1150RS (prior) / 1978 R80/7 (prior) / 1966 R69S (prior) / 1972 R75/5 (prior)
    Windsor, California