• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Nav V stuck in Year 2000

Just wasted 25 minutes waiting on a tech that didn't answer the above number guess I'll go back on when I have more time to waste and try again.

I used the 800 number and requested they call me back.
They said the wait time was approx 25 minutes.
10 minutes later they call back but the messed up transferring my call and had to wait again.
Total wait time was close to 25 minutes.

3) He asked that any owner of a BMW/Garmin Nav V affected by a date issue indicating the present year as "2000" to be in contact with Garmin at 913-397-0872. Those with this issue will be added to the "case" as he called it.

Unless the Nav V owner is on a forum there's a good chance they won't know there's a problem this time of year.
Plenty of people done riding for the year and the Nav V is sitting in the house.

Spoke with the Garmin rep yesterday who raised an interesting point: Garmin made the Nav devices and software under contract with Motorrad who was their only customer. We motorcyclists bought the Nav's from BMW, not from Garmin, so we should be complaining to BMW and BMW should be complaining to Garmin. This doesn't seem to be happening, but it does explain why Garmin cannot themselves offer some kind of replacement or trade-in program to upgrade to Nav VI.

We're used to contacting Garmin directly with problems and thankfully they're generally very helpful - so I expect this new problem will be solved soon. I wouldn't expect much help by complaining to my dealer, who sold me the Nav V, or to BMW directly, whose brand is the only one on it.

Spoke with the Garmin rep yesterday who raised an interesting point: Garmin made the Nav devices and software under contract with Motorrad who was their only customer. We motorcyclists bought the Nav's from BMW, not from Garmin, so we should be complaining to BMW and BMW should be complaining to Garmin. This doesn't seem to be happening, but it does explain why Garmin cannot themselves offer some kind of replacement or trade-in program to upgrade to Nav VI.

We're used to contacting Garmin directly with problems and thankfully they're generally very helpful - so I expect this new problem will be solved soon. I wouldn't expect much help by complaining to my dealer, who sold me the Nav V, or to BMW directly, whose brand is the only one on it.

I’m sure that conversation reflects the tip of the iceberg WRT the discussion certainly taking place behind the scenes: who will foot the bill for developing and deploying the necessary patch. Much of that likely depends upon who did the design and specs and on when and how much BMW was made aware of the timing issue. (What did BMW know and when did they know it? :) )
Back when the Nav V was released the date issue was not likely high on people’s radar.

The good news is that based upon recent posts to this thread Garmin is aware of the problem and is working on it. Key to that will be where the date counter is located (firmware, software, or other) and whether it can be patched or over-written. Garmin has a long history of firmware patching and software updating, mostly trouble-free, so given time to work the actual problem and resolve the background issues I’m confident a solution will be presented. Well, confidently hopeful anyway.

Next up will be the Nav IV owners...

Best,
DeVern

The only reason I discovered that my Nav V has a date issue is because of the posts on this forum. Great job!

Now will someone explain the impact since the time seems to be correct on the GPS and when it is transferred to the motorcycle? It appears to me the date on the bike and in the GPS is not used anywhere, and the date in the GPS is not transferred to the bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only reason I discovered that my Nav V has a date issue is because of the posts on this forum. Great job!

Now will someone explain the impact since the time seems to be correct on the GPS and when it is transferred to the motorcycle? It appears to me the date on the bike and in the GPS is not used anywhere, and the date in the GPS is not transferred to the bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The GPS date should transfer to the bike if you have the bike set to automatic.

The only negative I can think of for a incorrect date on the bike is for people who rely on the one year service reminder.
I don't pay attention to the service reminder on our bikes.
I keep a record of my service in a book and my phone.

My NAV V purchased new has the same year 2000 issue and when I chatted with Garmin yesterday, I was told I was added to the "list" with no other info given and was told "Thanks for purchasing Garmin!".

revised.... I cleaned the battery connector contacts with spray contact cleaner and now the battery is holding a full charge. IDK. Maybe just removing and reconnecting the battery caused it to make a better connection? Looks like the battery is 100% now.

Last edited:

They also had basically no reply about the battery that will not hold a charge longer than 10 minutes off the bike either. He said... "I don't know how long the batteries should last."

Most of us probably visited with a customer service person, not someone from the technical department.

Statement from Garmin

BMW NAV IV and BMW NAV V Time and Date are Incorrect

We’ve identified an issue with this product that causes the date and/or time to be wrong after the GPS Rollover on November 3rd, 2019. However, all functions not dependent on date and/or time will continue to work normally.

For the BMW Motorrad NAV IV - update the device software by following the steps in Updating Automotive Maps and Software with Garmin Express to correct the issue.

For the BMW Motorrad NAV V - We are currently working on a software update that will address this issue. Please contact Product Support to be put on an email distribution list to be notified after the software has been released.

What does that mean for my Garmin?

The date and/or time determined by the GPS will be wrong
Position, velocity, navigation, and all other functionality not dependent on date and/or time will continue to work normally
What is GPS Week Rollover?

The GPS satellite system communicates the date via a week number that is limited to 1024 weeks (about 20 years). On November 3rd, 2019 the week numbers broadcast by the satellites will “rollover” to zero. If GPS receivers don’t account for this rollover in their software, it will calculate the wrong date and/or time.
[/I][/I][/I]

Statement from Garmin

We’ve identified an issue with this product that causes the date and/or time to be wrong after the GPS Rollover on November 3rd, 2019. However, all functions not dependent on date and/or time will continue to work normally.

Thanks for this information Lee. From the Garmin website, here's a little more technical stuff but it seems to be a bit old:

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 7.41.00 PM.png

I would encourage anyone who owns a Nav V to contact Garmin support to be added to the case.
In my previous life as a field analyst I often ran in situations where support was far more responsive to demands from large customers or a large group of customers.

this will make certain apps not work correctly , where I've been, tracks,world clock.my motorcycle,maybe live photo too. some of us use these app and are part of what we paid for when purchasing the unit.BMW has dumbed down the available functions compared to other garmin units to begin with with their specs for Garmin why do users have to pay premium prices and not get what theey paid for.

I’m definitely not a Garmin/GPS guru......but I have a few. I just checked 3 Garmin units, one quite old, and they have all picked up date and time.
I’m not sure how this relates to the Nav-V but this thread got me wondering :dunno
OM

I just checked 3 Garmin units, one quite old, and they have all picked up date and time.

OM

I take it they picked up the correct date and time?

I have not checked my Garmin Nuvi since it looks like the problem is on with the Nav IV and V.

Statement from Garmin
For the BMW Motorrad NAV IV - update the device software by following the steps in Updating Automotive Maps and Software with Garmin Express to correct the issue.

If they figured out the Nav IV maybe it will not be long before they have the Nav V fix.

Sounds like all Nav V should be affected

Statement from Garmin
We’ve identified an issue with this product that causes the date and/or time to be wrong after the GPS Rollover on November 3rd, 2019.
For the BMW Motorrad NAV V - We are currently working on a software update that will address this issue. Please contact Product Support to be put on an email distribution list to be notified after the software has been released.

I thought I may be one of the few people affected by this issue since I could not find any other information about it. I'm glad I brought it up but the discussion leaves me a little confused on the problem resolution status:
1. It sounds like all of the Nav V units may be affected by this and, according to Garmin's response, it may never get resolved.
2. Not sure why they agreed to send me a replacement unit since no one else seems to have gotten that type of response. I assume it is a replacement Nav V unit. (Nav VI would have been sweet) If so, I will be pleasantly surprised if it does not have the 11/3/19 GPS rollover issue.

How many Nav V owners have a proper date setting in their unit? Probably none but they just aren't aware of it yet. Even if you think a bad date is not a big deal, I would suggest every Nav V owner get registered on Garmin's problem list/log. Maybe that would help increase the possibility of a proper fix.

Shipment tracking indicates I might receive my replacement unit from Garmin later this week. I will report back here with the replacement's status, regarding year setting.

NAV 5 stuck in year 2000

Wow! Just bought a brand new r1250gs last Saturday. Tuesday I went back to the dealer to take my phone and gps mounts off my trade in bike and talking with the sales manager about gps units (I have a Montana and LM396) he explained about the BMW NAV units, the features looked very cool. Even though the new TFT display does replicate some of the functionality. I hesitated to spend another 1000 bucks after shelling out for the new bike on Saturday (I used all my "happy wife" chits getting the new bike) but he mentioned he had a used Nav V he would sell. We talked about the differences between the V and VI and I agreed to buy the used unit (luckily I was able to convince my wife I saved half the price of a new unit, so she would not kill me!). I took the unit home, updated the maps, wiped out the previous owners active tracks, routes and waypoints (which by the way, the previous owners active tracks appear to have valid dates). Yesterday went out for a 200+ mile ride on the new bike and NAV unit and this morning I was uploading the tracks into Basecamp when I discovered the "April 2000" issue with the active tracks. Google search and Adv Rider pointed to this thread, so here I am! Guess I will be calling Garmin first thing Monday.

Seems like they would have the same rollover problem with the NAV VI since I would think the code base for the similar units would be shared. I have been a Garmin guy for a long time, I use Basecamp to plan rides all the time and use it heavily to plan multi-day bike trips which I want to hit very specific roads. I hope Garmin comes through with a fix, but it doesn't sound like this issues renders your NAV V totally useless since it looks like its big impact is the incorrect date in the track time stamp. I will have to investigate where the bike gets the date/time to make sure it is not picking it up from the GPS unit.

There are a couple of things I find strange with that issue. Wasn't the roll over date April 6 2019?
Why did this come out on the Nav V on Nov 3 2019?

There are a couple of things I find strange with that issue. Wasn't the roll over date April 6 2019?
Why did this come out on the Nav V on Nov 3 2019?

It has to do with time offset that is apparently commonly built into GPS units. The Nav system in my truck (and countless others of the same brand) was slated to go wonky on Nov. 3rd due to the date rollover issue. And the vendor who sold the Nav/radio units to the mfg was having huge issues trying to push out an over-the-air update to resolve the issue. I and many others ended up downloading the patch to usb and using the usb stick to load the update. So, this is certainly not a Garmin-only issue. Somewhere over on the truck forum there was a long-winded explanation of the rollover issue and the date offsets used in gps units, but I can’t locate it now...

Best,
DeVern

https://www.gps.gov/cgsic/meetings/2017/powers.pdf

Back