• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brown’s Side Stand Install

m_stock10506

1984 R100. Brown’s stand installed on the bike. Did a push rod seal job, and had to move the exhaust headers which led to removing the nut and bolt holding the front attachment of the stand to the clamp holding the header pipe.

What is the trick to getting the nut and bolt reinstalled? I can’t seem to get the bolt far enough through the pieces to get the threads to catch on the fastener. I am thinking of going to the hardware store for a slightly longer bolt.

On the right side of the bike, loosen the nut on that same bolt a few threads. Push it through a bit and put the nut on the left side. Tighten them evenly until the nuts mate the same on both sides.

On the right side of the bike, loosen the nut on that same bolt a few threads. Push it through a bit and put the nut on the left side. Tighten them evenly until the nuts mate the same on both sides.

Thanks, but that's not the bolt I'm referring to. There are two attachments for the Brown side stand. The rear nut/bolt is the through stud that supports the motor and has a nut on both the right and left sides. That stud and nut are what attaches the Brown stand to the frame. No problem getting that nut threaded on. Forward of that nut, there is a 2nd attachment point. This one attaches the side stand to the header pipe to prevent the side stand from rotating on the other stud. That nut is attached to a bolt that goes through the side stand mount and through the pipe clamp on the header. That's the problem one. I can't get the bolt through the stand and clamp enough to grab the threads of the nut.

Anyone with Brown side stand mounting experience here?

Michael

It has been awhile since I put one on, but if my memory is right, the front bolt attaches to a machined insert that slips into the stand. If I am right, the front hole is bigger than the bolt, and you need that insert to fill up the slip, or the stand may/will move/rotate.

I modified mine on my last bike and added a third bolt. I used that bolt, plus the one to the front, to attach it to a straight piece of metal that went to the front engine mount bolt. The next post will shot the photos. I put them here once before, a few years ago.

Wayne

Photos

Attached are the photos. Note the front bolt, it is an insert in the stand that is threaded. Do you still have it? Note how I drilled a second hole, in the middle. I then moved the exhaust clamp back and used that bolt, and the original bolt in front to mount a piece of steel stock. I then ran that stock to the front engine mount bolt. This way, the stand is suspended by the steel strap, and the two bolts. The stand cannot swivel this way, and the exhaust hanger is mounted solid too. I've seen the stock exhaust hanger crack under use the way Brown engineered it. I've done this modification to two my bikes, my 78 R100RS, and my 95 R100RT.

Attachments

• P1020461small.jpg
    P1020461small.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 127
  • P1020462small.jpg
    P1020462small.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 126
  • P1020464small.jpg
    P1020464small.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 125
  • P1020465small.jpg
    P1020465small.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 126
Attached are the photos. Note the front bolt, it is an insert in the stand that is threaded. Do you still have it? Note how I drilled a second hole, in the middle. I then moved the exhaust clamp back and used that bolt, and the original bolt in front to mount a piece of steel stock. I then ran that stock to the front engine mount bolt. This way, the stand is suspended by the steel strap, and the two bolts. The stand cannot swivel this way, and the exhaust hanger is mounted solid too. I've seen the stock exhaust hanger crack under use the way Brown engineered it. I've done this modification to two my bikes, my 78 R100RS, and my 95 R100RT.

REALLY GOOD STUFF.....Thanks for the way you help all with your 2K TEXTS. :thumb ..……...God bless....Dennis

Close the clamp as far as you can by hand, then close it further with needle nose Vice Grip pliers. Slide bolt through, install nut, tighten nut, remove pliers.

Stand is Reinstalled

The forward bolt and special nut is supplied with the Brown stand. It's an SAE 3/8 x 3/4 inch bolt. Trip with it to the local old-time hardware store got me a 3/8 x 1 inch bolt and a wavy washer to add to it. I took the rear mounting nut off (the one attached to the engine mount) and rotated the clamp so it was facing outwards which gave me a good angle to work. Pushed the new .25 inch longer bolt through the mounting arm and the two parts of the clamp and was able to catch the special nut threads. With the clamp attached loosely I rotated the entire mounting arm back and pushed the mount onto the rear engine mounting stud. Tightened the big mounting nut and then the front bolt which pinched the header clamp onto the header. Perfect. Plenty of room for the extra 1/4 inch of bolt.

Don't pay attention to the grime all over the area. Like I said, push rod seals were leaking, and the oil pressure switch was also leaking. A thorough cleaning will take place soon.

BrownSideStand.JPG

smallstand.JPG

Just installed mine a few days ago. No problems at all. Perhaps they are supplying a longer bolt?

I found that using the exhaust clamp led to it cracking twice, I ended up making a long bracket to the front engine mount.

Glad it is installed. That special nut you referred to is what I called a threaded bushing. It is needed because of the large hole in the exhaust hanger. Hope you like the Brown. I’ve used it on my bikes for years.

Wayne.

Glad it is installed. That special nut you referred to is what I called a threaded bushing. It is needed because of the large hole in the exhaust hanger. Hope you like the Brown. I’ve used it on my bikes for years.

Wayne.

I love the Brown side stand. It was on this bike, my bike, for 20 years. This was just the first time that I took it off. So installing it back was the challenge.

Back