Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Leaving Las Vegas in February

  1. #1

    Leaving Las Vegas in February

    I am looking for some advise. I do a job in Vegas every year in February. A few years ago I rented a bike and rode for two days in Death Valley. Where else would be a good two to three day ride given the possibility of snow in the mountains....

    Thanks in advance.

    Howard

  2. #2

    Marble Canyon

    Try Marble Canyon (Hwy 89 between Kanab, UT and Page, AZ.)

  3. #3
    Rally Rat 1074's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    596
    A good day trip to Lake Mead is in order. Start at the dam and go North. Small museum in Overton. Then go through the Valley of Fire State Park.
    Boxerbruce

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jkjohnson View Post
    Try Marble Canyon (Hwy 89 between Kanab, UT and Page, AZ.)
    thanks !!

  5. #5
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    7,023
    Quote Originally Posted by jkjohnson View Post
    Try Marble Canyon (Hwy 89 between Kanab, UT and Page, AZ.)
    And Zion NP.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    And Zion NP.
    What are the chances of snow in February. I went to Zion in a car many years ago and it's amazing.

  7. #7
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    7,023
    Quote Originally Posted by hwerner View Post
    What are the chances of snow in February. I went to Zion in a car many years ago and it's amazing.
    It's been awhile but seems like Zion is fairly low.
    Probably too high up toward Bryce NP and Torrey.

    Looking up weather for Zion shows Feb. average high is 58 and average low is 33.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  8. #8
    Registered User Rinty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    5,413
    Red Rock Canyon

    Valley of Fire State Park
    Rinty

  9. #9
    Registered User ExGMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    Red Rock Canyon

    Valley of Fire State Park

    That looks like a great place to see: http://parks.nv.gov/parks/valley-of-fire
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo/via Walt Kelly

  10. #10
    Registered User captainmarko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    149
    How long are you here? I'm a Vegas local.
    Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.

  11. #11
    Registered User tucoriley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Red Deer, Alberta
    Posts
    16

    Vegas In March

    Quote Originally Posted by hwerner View Post
    I am looking for some advise. I do a job in Vegas every year in February. A few years ago I rented a bike and rode for two days in Death Valley. Where else would be a good two to three day ride given the possibility of snow in the mountains....

    Thanks in advance.

    Howard
    Thanks for this post, save me from posting the question. My wife and I will be there for the month of March, towing my bike down. Just going to look for a place to store my motorcycle trailer for the duration as parking is at a premium at the Condo we rented.

    Neil

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    147
    I really feel you should travel down to Southern CA. and experience the Freeway system of the greater Los Angeles area... it's amazing to say the least!!
    An added plus is you'll be able to hone your lane splitting skills should we hit any traffic. (lets ride at night)

    You'll be here within Five hours and have an endless multitude of freeways both East/West, North/South and everything in between. You'll really lOvE it! Let me know and I join in and take you to the Watts Towers and to lunch. I really like the Watts Towers and how the city came to accept the free spirit structure...

    Afterwards we'll travel North to Ojai, then on to 33 and some other fine roads that will make you wonder why you rode to Southern CA. in the first place.

    PM if you're interested.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by lgb View Post
    I really feel you should travel down to Southern CA. and experience the Freeway system of the greater Los Angeles area... it's amazing to say the least!!
    An added plus is you'll be able to hone your lane splitting skills should we hit any traffic. (lets ride at night)

    You'll be here within Five hours and have an endless multitude of freeways both East/West, North/South and everything in between. You'll really lOvE it! Let me know and I join in and take you to the Watts Towers and to lunch. I really like the Watts Towers and how the city came to accept the free spirit structure...

    Afterwards we'll travel North to Ojai, then on to 33 and some other fine roads that will make you wonder why you rode to Southern CA. in the first place.

    PM if you're interested.
    Thanks for the creative routing. Been in LA and did my share of lane splitting, while never at night, I think I've had my fill of that.

    33 out of Ojai looks like required riding some someday. I've added to my list.

    Happy New Year!!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by captainmarko View Post
    How long are you here? I'm a Vegas local.
    I'm there on and off throughout the year. In fact I will be there in the fall if not sooner. I'm looking for a time to ride to visit friends in Sedona via the North Rim. The fall trip might be the one!!

    Lot's of places to ride when the chance of snow is low. The issue is the February trip and snow in the mountains...

Similar Threads

  1. Leaving the Forum when leaving BMWMOA?
    By EXR911 in forum Forum Software Specific Help. NOT for bike related questions.
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 04:20 PM
  2. Leaving SLC for PA
    By rickatsf in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 01:52 AM
  3. Leaving Cal for PA;
    By Polarbear in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-29-2011, 12:13 PM
  4. When are you leaving?
    By MiddleIowa in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 11:58 PM
  5. Leaving Clinton, Tn
    By DcnDog in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 01:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •