• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is the written word valuable to you? (Operators manual)

bhulse

I'm missing an owners manual for my 'NEW' '99' R1100RT
Have worked on Honda motorcycles all my life, owned a few of them and ALWAYS found that the original issue owners manual was a valuable source of information. My NEW '99' R1100RT is a blast to ride, runs beautifully and handles superbly, however it DIDN'T COME WITH AN OWNERS MANUAL! Oh, I've purchased the Clymer repair manual (725 pages worth) and it answers a lot of questions but it isn't an owners manual. Those of you that do own and ride an R1100 and possess an owners manual I'll ask: Does it contain information and details of your specific model bike you would consider valuable? Is the publication comprehensive and contain enough content to explain all of the bikes operations? I welcome your comments.

R1100RT via Paint.jpg 250X333 39.2Kb.jpg

It's a motorcycle. Not much different than any motorcycle and common sense, like knowing 7 litres of oil for the crankcase doesn't feel right, bald tires are bald tires or losing a more than a pound of air pressure a day prolly isn't good. You also don't need two months of spreadsheet data to confirm you have a bad battery and if the bike runs well, you are enjoying it, enjoy it!

However, https://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp, can help you out.

With google and a smart phone I discover I haven’t use a owner manual in years. However if you are going to do minor or major surgery at least get a Cylmers

What bugs me are the endless questions posed on various internet fora that need not have been posted if people would read the manual first.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I'm missing an owners manual for my 'NEW' '99' R1100RT

A dealer can order a printed Riders Manual for you. $22 Part number 01 47 9 799 367

Attachments

• 01479799367_1_B.jpg
    01479799367_1_B.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
What bugs me are the endless questions posed on various internet fora that need not have been posted if people would read the manual first.

this.

or just a simple search. some people just expect everything to be done for them rather than do any research themselves.

Intellectual laziness. Most of us suffer from it occasionally. Some suffer from it all the time.

this.

or just a simple search. some people just expect everything to be done for them rather than do any research themselves.

Intellectual laziness. Most of us suffer from it occasionally. Some suffer from it all the time.

For your consideration.......
Sometimes, actually rather frequently, people new to the forum will post something basic as a lead-in to forum participation.
Sometimes it’s just “bouncing” an idea off the forum participants in order to make an informed decision.

Helping answer a question is much more friendly to a member, especially a new member than complaining about the question.

It doesn’t hurt to give a Welcome either.

Welcome to the forum bhulse!

Hope you can find your manual. Lee has provided a good lead.

I like to have the Owners Manual as well.

Gary

For your consideration.......
Sometimes, actually rather frequently, people new to the forum will post something basic as a lead-in to forum participation.
Sometimes it’s just “bouncing” an idea off the forum participants in order to make an informed decision.

Helping answer a question is much more friendly to a member, especially a new member than complaining about the question.

It doesn’t hurt to give a Welcome either.

Welcome to the forum bhulse!

Hope you can find your manual. Lee has provided a good lead.

I like to have the Owners Manual as well.

Gary
Ebay is your friend.
Ive bought a ton of BMW owner's and shop manuals there.

Another manual that was probably provided with the new bike is the Technical Data Handbook.
Also $22 part number 01 47 9 799 377

01479799377_1_B.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Owner's Manual Fan

How about the nostalgia and collector impulse?
I've ridden all old machines. I love to have an original owner's manual for them. Impresses the customer when you sell!
AS soon as I acquired my 1997, started searching Ebay for original OM. Found one within a couple weeks. 30 bucks? 2 books came, a Riders Manual and a Technical Manual.( Water damaged and sun faded on cover. (Using Ebay can be just amusing on its own. Who keeps these things? What kind of people find a used and mostly messed up OM and decide to market it? You check out their 'store' and it is crazy!) Insides were just fine, and contained some hand written service history of somebody else's 1997. Kinda cool! Fun to try to interpret the German translations.
Example: The description of the ABS lights operation and the switch on panel. I CANNOT understand what under heaven they are trying to say! It goes on for 3 pages, trying to describe about 22 different light flashing conditions.
Also, people tell you things and you hear/see things on the internet, but it is always good to read the source. Learning how things have changed from the sale of the bike, to now. Have a Clymer, too thick and bulky to find things quickly.
I dig owner's manuals, dude.
(Honda manuals are the best!)

Fun to try to interpret the German translations.
Example: The description of the ABS lights operation and the switch on panel. I CANNOT understand what under heaven they are trying to say!

I've read the headlight operation description on my new RS several times, and I don't understand it either. All I wanted to know was whether, in rain, it automatically switches from daytime running light to normal headlight / taillight operation.

In answer to the original thread, I would say definitely yes, I like to have the original manuals. You have to have the repair manuals to work on them, often two different ones. But the owner's manual condenses it down to what you need to know to operate and do basic maintenance on the bike. It saves time and effort in answering simple, but important questions. As for constantly searching the internet for everything in life, if I never hear the term, "Just Google it!" ever again in my life, I will be happy.
By the way, as noted above, there are actually two booklets that came with the R1100RT, which came in a plastic cover. So it sounds like about $40 from the dealer to replace them. Typical BMW pricing. I hope you can find a set cheaper on Ebay. The technical manual is probably the more useful to own.

If I recall correctly there was a guy offering up owners manuals on the Airheads flea market thread on ADV.

Back