• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R18 and R18 /2

Sorry, but I can’t imagine a worse time to be launching a luxury vehicle of any kind here in the states than right now.
The economic shock of this past month(s) will be profound for some time to come. I just don’t see many folks opening up their wallets for expensive Nostalgia toys through The end of 2020.
Wether you like it or not this thing is a pure indulgence, in a market segment that has been Steadily contracting.
IMO this bike is about 10 years late. Looks good, but don’t see the strategy. It’ll be interesting to to see how it plays out.

On the contrary, some like myself, may be waiting for motor shops/sales to reopen because after losing sales during this crisis, there's likely going to be some very good deals made on motors. Dealers should be willing to deal to move inventory and regain some of the capital lost. I've been looking for a second bike for a several months now, just haven't pulled the trigger. If there's deals to be made to move inventory, [ and I'm not talking this new r18 ] I'll be a cash buyer.

A cruiser... with no forward controls? Can't stretch out your legs and feel the wind up in your crotch. Nope.

People riding bikes like this will want forward controls. I think the bike looks great besides those two big jugs sticking out horizontally.

I dunno. Here where the roads are curvy, forwards aren't the preferred. Mids are where it's at and this is pretty much a set of mids.

Initially, I'd hoped for a more /2 kind of thing, but the first pics, especially with the ape hangers, were disappointing. Looking at the riding video, however, seems to show a bike with a seating position a whole lot like what my R60 was like when it was delivered with US bars. Knees at 90 degrees. Bars are easily reached and there's but the barest hint of forward lean.

Those looking at the hardware should also take a look at the video to see how people really fit on it.

If they sold a seat that was more like the Extra Wide Denfeld Dualsaddle that came on my /2, I'd be all over that. A set of Sport Bars would complete the package.

The attractive bits for me are the emulation of the OG diamond frame, the ring that mounts the final drive, the big ol' /2 looking motor, the R51/3 style exposed and chromed shaft and the fork leg shields that are about the same shape as the ones BMW used when they introduced telescopic forks to the world. I was originally not a fan of the tank, being a /2 Sport Tank kinda guy, but looking at the shape, it's apparent that it's really a nice rendition of the wedge shaped tank on the OG R5. The R7 style big mufflers with the kind of fin style are nice, but I think I'd order the chrome pipes that are cylindrical. The accessory catalog is impressive, though luggage looks like a weak spot. Expect a Wixom style fairing next year with bag, but expect the fairing to carry equipment more in keeping with expectations from the RT and K16 world.

It's a big step. And it's kinda growing on me in a way the R12C never, ever did.

On the contrary, some like myself, may be waiting for motor shops/sales to reopen because after losing sales during this crisis, there's likely going to be some very good deals made on motors. Dealers should be willing to deal to move inventory and regain some of the capital lost. I've been looking for a second bike for a several months now, just haven't pulled the trigger. If there's deals to be made to move inventory, [ and I'm not talking this new r18 ] I'll be a cash buyer.

Recalling the early 1980s, I would be cautious on jump in until one understands how the unemployment and budget deficits will affect everything. IMHO, a lot of MC dealerships with mortgage and floor plan debt will disappear.

Recalling the early 1980s, I would be cautious on jump in until one understands how the unemployment and budget deficits will affect everything. IMHO, a lot of MC dealerships with mortgage and floor plan debt will disappear.

If a dealer is gonna go under, isn't he gonna offer some great deals to move the inventory?

Not necessarily. That inventory might be seized and returned to BMW.

Wouldn't that happen after he goes under? If someone reopens for business, I wouldn't expect motherland to seize anything for some time.

GoAz here in Scottsdale certainly won't be going under [ too well funded by the owner ] and I expect they'll be heavily discounting bikes to move them from inventory and recapture some cash flow.

I dunno. Here where the roads are curvy, forwards aren't the preferred. Mids are where it's at and this is pretty much a set of mids.

Initially, I'd hoped for a more /2 kind of thing, but the first pics, especially with the ape hangers, were disappointing. Looking at the riding video, however, seems to show a bike with a seating position a whole lot like what my R60 was like when it was delivered with US bars. Knees at 90 degrees. Bars are easily reached and there's but the barest hint of forward lean.

Those looking at the hardware should also take a look at the video to see how people really fit on it.

If they sold a seat that was more like the Extra Wide Denfeld Dualsaddle that came on my /2, I'd be all over that. A set of Sport Bars would complete the package.

The attractive bits for me are the emulation of the OG diamond frame, the ring that mounts the final drive, the big ol' /2 looking motor, the R51/3 style exposed and chromed shaft and the fork leg shields that are about the same shape as the ones BMW used when they introduced telescopic forks to the world. I was originally not a fan of the tank, being a /2 Sport Tank kinda guy, but looking at the shape, it's apparent that it's really a nice rendition of the wedge shaped tank on the OG R5. The R7 style big mufflers with the kind of fin style are nice, but I think I'd order the chrome pipes that are cylindrical. The accessory catalog is impressive, though luggage looks like a weak spot. Expect a Wixom style fairing next year with bag, but expect the fairing to carry equipment more in keeping with expectations from the RT and K16 world.

It's a big step. And it's kinda growing on me in a way the R12C never, ever did.

Overall, I agree, Dave. I've always been a fan of the look of the R51 series this bike is suppository based on. For me, that includes the finned mufflers. BMW used them from 1923 through to the R51/2 after WWII, and I think they really add to the classic look. But, there are bolt-on cylindrical cans to make it look however you like. The R12C was never a look I could love, but the R18 is growing on me a little bit more every time I look at it, and now I want to ride one. I think BMW will have a long term winner with this bike.

Overall, I agree, Dave. I've always been a fan of the look of the R51 series this bike is suppository based on. For me, that includes the finned mufflers. BMW used them from 1923 through to the R51/2 after WWII, and I think they really add to the classic look. But, there are bolt-on cylindrical cans to make it look however you like. The R12C was never a look I could love, but the R18 is growing on me a little bit more every time I look at it, and now I want to ride one. I think BMW will have a long term winner with this bike.

Suppository based on? Is there no seat, just a seat post?:doh

If a dealer is gonna go under, isn't he gonna offer some great deals to move the inventory?

I'm thinking the inventory is financed, perhaps by BMW, so, the lender has first dibs.

But, more globally, my concern about jumping into something right away is ………. make sure this event doesn't impact your finances. Even for the retired which may have a pension, raiding/cutting pensions plans has been a recurring theme during recent economic downturns.

Currently, everyone wants to be generous. However, no one is asking to have their taxes raised. So, I would proceed with caution.

I'm thinking the inventory is financed, perhaps by BMW, so, the lender has first dibs.

But, more globally, my concern about jumping into something right away is ………. make sure this event doesn't impact your finances. Even for the retired which may have a pension, raiding/cutting pensions plans has been a recurring theme during recent economic downturns.

Currently, everyone wants to be generous. However, no one is asking to have their taxes raised. So, I would proceed with caution.

When my long term BMW dealership sold out to a new owner, the new guy didn't want any of the current year's inventory so the old dealer was selling new bikes for $10,000 off or more in some cases. I didn't find out until they were all gone, which is probably a good thing as I might well have been tempted to buy a new bike at those discounts. Naturally, that was before the world was turned inside out by an invisible virus, so your cautions are good to consider.

My dealer GOAZ owns the bikes outright, he's a gazillianare having sold GoDaddy several years ago. He owns 5 separate dealerships in one big complex each with their own showroom. Honda, Ural, Yamaha, bmw, Harley. He doesn't have to pay finance fees on the bikes, he self funds the businesses. As for finances, I wouldn't be spending retirement money but cash on hand at the house.

I'm leaning toward the 2020 Honda CB500X when they reopen. :thumb

Week late to this thread, but just consumed the intro vids for R18. Thank you very much for posting! The first guy, from Germany (?) is great. What a fun guy!!
Still think the jugs are enormous and dominate the design. Adding other cool stuff and a vintage paint job eases the pain? I really like it. BMW should keep sale price down, to gain market share. Vis-a-vis the Honda Rune. (That worked out! :scratch)
But, if you want a cruiser in vintage cool I think they nailed it.
Somewhat related: Does anyone think Roland Sands dress-up trinkets are cool? The dude is in Orange County Chopper territory, for me.

Back