• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R18 and R18 /2

Not that I've exerted any effort trying to find out, but do they make an R18 with a legit pillion seat? All the pictures I've seen have the bike with a solo seat. If you are trying to sell this to a younger crowd, then it seems to me the bike should comfortably accomodate a couple; and the advertising would promote that. Remember those nice people two-up on a Honda Cub. I understand they are still together.

you-meet-the-nicest-people-on-a-honda-1476934798632.jpg

I really like the bike. They did a very Harley thing with it, dozens of options to personalize it. You can make it a R18 or a R18/2. Great way to release a bike having so many options from the start. If someone wants bling for a RT they have to go to the aftermarket.

Agreed on all points.

Ducati sells truckloads of Diavels. Why, I'll never know. This will be its direct competition. Maybe even a couple of Harley riders will "see the light". :D

I would be hard pressed to see the 18 as a direct competitor to the Diavel unless the 18 is a whole lot different machine than I'm expecting. I've ridden the Diavel and it is surprisingly sporty and competent and not at all what I expected.

I have a 1250RT with 136 hp, weighing approx 625 lbs and my R 1200 C is 63 hp weighing in close to 600+/- lbs and it is still a blast to ride. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Just sayin'

:lurk

I have a 1250RT with 136 hp, weighing approx 625 lbs and my R 1200 C is 63 hp weighing in close to 600+/- lbs and it is still a blast to ride. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Just sayin'

:lurk

The world is full of people who believe that the choice they made is the only right choice for everybody else, and will preach it as the truth until everybody nearby should screech "enough already - enough!"

345kg?
90bhp?
Sorta like the R1200C revisited
Thing is gonna be a dog

As the old saying goes torque wins the race not the horse power... 158 NM at 3,000 rpm is not too shabby... not that the R18 will be racing, but the torque on this big boxer is impressive. It's not everyones cup of tea but BMW got many things right on this one. Also, BMW says it comes with 91HP's. Personally I can't wait to take it for a test drive... not that I am in the market but and an Old School Airhead this interest me. My "fastest" airhead has 67HP. I know. I live in a "different world". Cheers to all.

Walk around review

Walk around review:

<iframe width="988" height="556" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fbzOzLxN_4Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harry

another review

<iframe width="988" height="556" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HiC0JEOLDHk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Review goes into more detail like the fact it has a reverse gear.

Harry

<iframe width="988" height="556" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HiC0JEOLDHk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Review goes into more detail like the fact it has a reverse gear.

Harry

Thanks
Earlier I was confused how the valve covers were only held on with two tiny fasteners that looked like body panel fasteners.
He explained there's another cover under the one you see.
Sounds like the valve covers you see are only for looks.

It certainly appeals to a different market segment. BMW dealers might soon be stocking doo-rags, gremlin bells, and “off road” exhausts. Maybe we’ll get free hot dogs every Saturday.

Seriously, though, I wonder about vibration on a big twin like this. Even a counterbalancer can’t suppress power pulses, especially at lower rpms. A heavy flywheel and overall vehicle weight will help but still ...

The first time somebody noses their 800 pound beast into a downhill diagonal parking place they will curse themselves and their dealer for not having the reverse option.:banghead ..... :wave

All goes well, it will only happened once.
OM

Sorry, but I can’t imagine a worse time to be launching a luxury vehicle of any kind here in the states than right now.
The economic shock of this past month(s) will be profound for some time to come. I just don’t see many folks opening up their wallets for expensive Nostalgia toys through The end of 2020.
Wether you like it or not this thing is a pure indulgence, in a market segment that has been Steadily contracting.
IMO this bike is about 10 years late. Looks good, but don’t see the strategy. It’ll be interesting to to see how it plays out.

A cruiser... with no forward controls? Can't stretch out your legs and feel the wind up in your crotch. Nope.

People riding bikes like this will want forward controls. I think the bike looks great besides those two big jugs sticking out horizontally.

When BMW began this project a few years ago they had no idea what March 2020 would be like. Doing the launch hurt nothing. Buyers will be when buyers will be. Meanwhile, hang on like everybody else.

Back