• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R18 and R18 /2

The roots of the current decline in H-D sales were planted back in the 70s, when they abandoned being a full-range motorcycle company and focused solely on big twins, and the 80s, where they followed Willie G all-in on the dress-like-a-pirate market. After several decades of offering nothing to beginning riders, and nothing to mainstream or performance-oriented motorcyclists, it's no surprise that sales are declining. And I'd expect that decline to continue so long as they continue to have a single-segment focus. And no, the LiveWire won't change that.

Interesting that H-D sees the need for small-bore production for markets other than the US. Id imagine the current tariff war is one factor that could preclude bringing this bike to the US market. But I'd suspect an equal, if not greater reason would be the rejection of anything made in China by the traditional H-D customer base. Maybe they'd have better luck if they bought back their old Aermacchi operation, which morphed through several iterations to eventually become part of Aprillia. Italian, OK--China, not so much...

Best,

DeVern

Interesting that H-D sees the need for small-bore production for markets other than the US. Id imagine the current tariff war is one factor that could preclude bringing this bike to the US market. But I'd suspect an equal, if not greater reason would be the rejection of anything made in China by the traditional H-D customer base. Maybe they'd have better luck if they bought back their old Aermacchi operation, which morphed through several iterations to eventually become part of Aprillia. Italian, OK--China, not so much...

Best,

DeVern

I've had several BRC students with their 883 iron starter bikes.

Asking HD to build small for the US market is like expecting to see cars at a GM, Ford or Dodge dealerships. Big means hefty profit margins.

I've had several BRC students with their 883 iron starter bikes.

But how many more might you have had were a smaller, less costly model available?

Asking HD to build small for the US market is like expecting to see cars at a GM, Ford or Dodge dealerships. Big means hefty profit margins.

And yet BMW, KTM, and all the Japanese MC manufacturers offer less-costly small-bore bikes. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, et. al. all offer sedans, even low-cost models, in their lineups. Some players in both markets seem to understand that the most difficult sale to a customer is the first one, and that once having crossed that threshold the second sale is not only easier, but more likely to be a higher-markup product. And, both sales root brand loyalty. Perhaps the obsession of American business on the quarterly P&L statement clouds the longer-term vision. :dunno. But absent the chilling effect of tariff interventions, a foreign-made addition to the US lineup would make as much or more sense for H-D as their Pan-Am model, which isn’t looking particularly promising at this point. The biggest factor with the Pan-Am, in my book, is that the motor company is starting to look beyond the market they committed to several decades ago.

Best,
DeVern

But how many more might you have had were a smaller, less costly model available?

And yet BMW, KTM, and all the Japanese MC manufacturers offer less-costly small-bore bikes. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, et. al. all offer sedans, even low-cost models, in their lineups. Some players in both markets seem to understand that the most difficult sale to a customer is the first one, and that once having crossed that threshold the second sale is not only easier, but more likely to be a higher-markup product. And, both sales root brand loyalty. Perhaps the obsession of American business on the quarterly P&L statement clouds the longer-term vision. :dunno. But absent the chilling effect of tariff interventions, a foreign-made addition to the US lineup would make as much or more sense for H-D as their Pan-Am model, which isn’t looking particularly promising at this point. The biggest factor with the Pan-Am, in my book, is that the motor company is starting to look beyond the market they committed to several decades ago.

Best,
DeVern

To the rider that wants a Harley, the 883 Iron is a small bike. It may weigh more than my R1200RS, but they still think it's a small motorcycle. Yes, a Honda Rebel or Suzuki TU250 would be a much better starter bike, but they don't want that. Something without forward controls and floor boards, isn't a motorcycle.

To the rider that wants a Harley, the 883 Iron is a small bike. It may weigh more than my R1200RS, but they still think it's a small motorcycle. Yes, a Honda Rebel or Suzuki TU250 would be a much better starter bike, but they don't want that. Something without forward controls and floor boards, isn't a motorcycle.

I have ridden a Harley for years and I can't count the number of times a woman buys a Sportster as a first bike. I tell them over and over to buy a used Japanese import for $1,500, abuse it for a year or two, then move up to a Softail if they insist on a Harley. A Sportster is a horrible bike for a beginner. I know a couple women that bought Sportsters, put a very few miles on them and gave up riding. Perhaps they would have stopped any way, but I can't help think the choice of motorcycle had something to do with it. I would recommend a HD Street at this point if it has to be a Harley.

Many years ago my wife wanted to start riding. I told her first bike would be a small, auto clutch, step through scooter, (She has never driven with a clutch!), then a used import, then a Harley if she wanted. She never did, she decided she liked sleeping on the back of the Harley better than piloting her own!

I have ridden a Harley for years and I can't count the number of times a woman buys a Sportster as a first bike. I tell them over and over to buy a used Japanese import for $1,500, abuse it for a year or two, then move up to a Softail if they insist on a Harley. A Sportster is a horrible bike for a beginner. I know a couple women that bought Sportsters, put a very few miles on them and gave up riding. Perhaps they would have stopped any way, but I can't help think the choice of motorcycle had something to do with it. I would recommend a HD Street at this point if it has to be a Harley.

Many years ago my wife wanted to start riding. I told her first bike would be a small, auto clutch, step through scooter, (She has never driven with a clutch!), then a used import, then a Harley if she wanted. She never did, she decided she liked sleeping on the back of the Harley better than piloting her own!

Both of the Street models weight about the same as the 883 Iron.

Back in the dark ages when the BMW MOA annual rally was at York, PA (1989) a bunch of BMW riders visited the York HD plant and rode HD bikes on their test track - an unspirited ride several laps around the oval. It was fun but did not inspire me to wish to own one of their bikes. My lower back will take 2 to 5 minutes of forward peg or floorboard position until it is painfully screaming at me. Ditto for highway pegs on a BMW, by the way. My back does not discriminate.

Back in the dark ages when the BMW MOA annual rally was at York, PA (1989) a bunch of BMW riders visited the York HD plant and rode HD bikes on their test track - an unspirited ride several laps around the oval. It was fun but did not inspire me to wish to own one of their bikes. My lower back will take 2 to 5 minutes of forward peg or floorboard position until it is painfully screaming at me. Ditto for highway pegs on a BMW, by the way. My back does not discriminate.

As a favour to a buddy who said to me "Let's rent Harleys for a weekend!" I rode a Road King for a two day trip and about 700 km. The worst time I've ever had on a motorcycle. Boring is the word that comes to mind.

I have had numerous motorcycle over the years, from a 1966 50cc Honda street bike, dirt bikes, various mid sized street bikes from the Japanese big four, three Harleys and now a RT. I can't say that any of them were boring, some certainly didn't go as fast or handle well, but all were fun in one way or another. Right now I have a 2016 HD Limited, a 2018 RT and a 2003 Yamaha R1. If boring is a problem hop on a 1,000 cc sport bike and twist the throttle! Life is fairly exciting at 100 MPH on one wheel.

The Harley is fine at cruising back roads at 55 MPH with no real plan. I have toured on a Harley, but the suspension kills me. I can deal with the under powered engine and the lack luster handling. I just don't make plans to go any where fast. The RT eats up interstate and high speed twisties better. The R1 eats up twisties, but sucks to ride very far.

If I could find a fat bagger like the Harley limited, with a bit better engine, handling and suspension I would be happy. I seriously considered a Gold Wing but figured I would try the RT first.

I have had numerous motorcycle over the years, from a 1966 50cc Honda street bike, dirt bikes, various mid sized street bikes from the Japanese big four, three Harleys and now a RT. I can't say that any of them were boring, some certainly didn't go as fast or handle well, but all were fun in one way or another. Right now I have a 2016 HD Limited, a 2018 RT and a 2003 Yamaha R1. If boring is a problem hop on a 1,000 cc sport bike and twist the throttle! Life is fairly exciting at 100 MPH on one wheel.

The Harley is fine at cruising back roads at 55 MPH with no real plan. I have toured on a Harley, but the suspension kills me. I can deal with the under powered engine and the lack luster handling. I just don't make plans to go any where fast. The RT eats up interstate and high speed twisties better. The R1 eats up twisties, but sucks to ride very far.

If I could find a fat bagger like the Harley limited, with a bit better engine, handling and suspension I would be happy. I seriously considered a Gold Wing but figured I would try the RT first.

You sound like a candidate for a Ural.

You sound like a candidate for a Ural.

No way! Even I have my limits!:rofl

Well, they might be a fun bike to screw around with, maybe a good ride in our beautiful North Dakota winters with the two wheel drive model, but I don't see doing any serious riding on one!

No way! Even I have my limits!:rofl

Well, they might be a fun bike to screw around with, maybe a good ride in our beautiful North Dakota winters with the two wheel drive model, but I don't see doing any serious riding on one!

I friend rode his from California to Texas Hill Country. It was a slow trip :)
IMG_0002.JPG

We now have two Urals. They are a hoot to ride and have come a long way over the past five years in build quality and reliability. They are still slow but just fine for riding the many Forrest Service roads in our area and riding in snowy conditions. Not our first choice for long distance riding.

We now have two Urals. They are a hoot to ride and have come a long way over the past five years in build quality and reliability. They are still slow but just fine for riding the many Forrest Service roads in our area and riding in snowy conditions. Not our first choice for long distance riding.

Seems that's the consensus with others too, every year they've gotten better for the last several years. I've toyed with owning one, I wonder what years were best of the last 5 if any?

Yours manu dates? Any particular years to dismiss as possible purchases?

Back