• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin will not shut off 2012 1600GTL

willhawks

Hi guys, FNG here. Just wired in the gerbing harness for heated clothing. At one point when I was attaching the hot wire to the battery terminal, I heard the Garmin beep (factory nav) and it came on. Tried many times to turn it off with the switch, but this only kicks it into a program having to do with volume for the stereo and the nav unit itself. Has been on continuously for at least 30 minutes. How do I make it shut off so it doesn't drain the battery? any help is much appreciated

In your initial post you said, "...so it doesn't drain the battery?"

On our K16GT when the ignition is off the GPS is not charging.

I didn't know that, and ran the GPS down while riding another bike of ours that doesn't have a GPS connection for about a month.

Also, our Nav VI will automatically shut off after a given time (not sure how long that is) to help prevent battery drain.

FYI...

Also, our Nav VI will automatically shut off after a given time (not sure how long that is) to help prevent battery drain.

FYI...

The screen will go dark, but the Nav VI is not shut off, just "sleeping" using the internal battery power. This is to allow a quick start after a gas or lunch stop. To turn it OFF, you have to hold down the button on the back until it asks you to confirm that you want to shut it down.

The screen will go dark, but the Nav VI is not shut off, just "sleeping" using the internal battery power.

Ikraus,

The bike does about the same thing with the ignition off. All the "screens" are dark but the bike is still running the clock, etc., etc.

Left alone long enough the bike's battery will eventually drain, like the Garmin's.

I'm going through a "left-the-fob-on-the-bike-and-the-ignition-on-too" problem. In about 12 hours the battery was at 2 volts.

We found out sitting on her, all geared up and ready to go. Every time I hit the starter button the bike would go dark and restart.

The battery is on a charger and seems to be coming back...we'll see.

Back