• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT - Riding on a Plugged Tyre

Sticky ropes are the best long term repair. The larger diameter brown ones work best. I have never had one fail.

I've never had a problem with a plug on a puncture. I saw someone pointed out that he had no success on a cut. Well no fooling.

I watched a guy at a National Rally, years ago, shove 4 plugs in a cut and he seemed perplexed that it would not hold air. :brad

I've never had a problem with a plug on a puncture. I saw someone pointed out that he had no success on a cut. Well no fooling.

I watched a guy at a National Rally, years ago, shove 4 plugs in a cut and he seemed perplexed that it would not hold air. :brad

True, but I have seen a long distance rally entrant ride into a checkpoint with 5 plugs in a tire, holding air. Yes - he did replace that tire at the checkpoint before proceeding with the rally.

Personally I replace the tire as soon as possible.
My peace of mind is worth the expense.

YMMV

If you are stuck with a “cut”, the cut can be drawn together with stitching and then plugged. A Speedy Stitcher works real well for the sew up.
OM

Years ago you could "boot" a tire that had a cut or puncture too large to patch. It was similar to a patch, but much larger and reinforced with fiber.

I quit using the mushroom style plugs many years ago. Yes, they can work ok. But they leaked for me on a couple occasions. Rope style are more permanent in my opinion. The problem with those is most need the cement to install them properly. Which is always dried up when you go to use it.

Solve that with the Nealy brand rope repair kits. Have to be ordered online. No cement needed. I have used those many times. Only one time did they not work. On a GS that had a slit about an inch wide. We couldn't get enough of them in there to fix that. But in the case of a typical puncture, more round than a slice, they are a permanent repair.

There will be those here that say a plugged tire is only safe to get you to a dealer to replace the tire. I have no problem with that.
But I don't throw those tires away. I trust the "plugged" tire and continue to run them. I think if the puncture is in the main tread area, there is no compelling reason they cannot be plugged and run the rest of their life. I have probably done that 5 or 6 times now on motorcycle tires. Lost count of car tires.....

Thanks for the tip...order placed.

This was a personal best. Four ropes still didn’t plug it successfully. that’s a 10mm head on that bolt IIRC.

F5F4E86C-520D-441F-AD30-9D0F209473BA.jpg

I. A Speedy Stitcher works real well for the sew up.
OM

Looks like you would need to remove the tire to use that tool.

<iframe width="1042" height="700" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yNFMzAEW0V0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like you would need to remove the tire to use that tool.

<iframe width="1042" height="700" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yNFMzAEW0V0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Depends on the tire- or tube really.
OM

That needs to be plugged in stages.
OM

I did plug it in stages with four ropes, air held for a few days in the garage, but I chickened out when time came to actually riding on it.

I went with discretion over valor and replaced the tyre, instead of being a test pilot. That said, I have ridden on plugged tyres many times without problems. Sound Rider in Seattle sells a pretty decent kit.

I did plug it in stages with four ropes, air held for a few days in the garage, but I chickened out when time came to actually riding on it.

I went with discretion over valor and replaced the tyre, instead of being a test pilot. That said, I have ridden on plugged tyres many times without problems. Sound Rider in Seattle sells a pretty decent kit.

The bolt looks like it just went into the tire, no travel (I'm not seeing any of the bolt head worn). You must have a good story to tell us :lurk

FYI- I too ride on plug tires but not that one if avoidable.

I'll add a cautionary note regarding a Nealey plug. I removed a very fine nail from my rear tire about 2K miles back, very near the center line of the tire. After becoming aware of a very slow leak a few days ago, and finding no other source, I tested the plug with a bit of saliva and noted a steady flow of small bubbles. I'm confident that this is a very recent happening, as I check pressures at least twice weekly before riding. The tire is ready for replacement at about 6K miles. I wonder if thinning of the tread around the plug contributed to the failure. I'll get a better look at the repair when I dismount the tire, and followup if I find anything interesting.

Last edited:
I'll add a cautionary note regarding a Nealey plug. I removed a very fine nail from my rear tire about 2K miles back, very near the center line of the tire. After becoming aware of a very slow leak a few days ago, and finding no other source, I tested the plug with a bit of saliva and noted a steady flow of small bubbles. I'm confident that this is a very recent happening, as I check pressures at least twice weekly before riding. The tire was ready for replacement at about 6K miles. I wonder if thinning of the tread around the plug contributed to the failure. I'll get a better look at the repair when I dismount the tire, and followup if I find anything interesting.

Did you twist the Nealy tool before extracting it and cutting the string? Without the twist the stick strings can work back out of the tire.

Best,
DeVern

I did twist the ropes. The plug looks fine...flush with the tread rubber. I'll post pics of both sides of the repair when i get the tire off.

Broken Rear Tire Pressure Sensor

I have a 2015 R1200RT that got a small screw puncture in the rear tire, only 2k on tire. Plugged it, but slow leak. Bought new tire with thought of patching the other one but installing with the new one. After repeated failure to get the old tire to break free from the bead, I didn't have the proper tools, I took rim and tire to a non-BMW local shop near me. Things immediately got worse. The tech, such as he was, broke the rear sensor off right at the rim. They handed me the rim, tire, and the sensor with its little pin. I took it to the nearest BMW shop where it is being repaired. They will have to try and drill out what is left of the pin left in the rim without damaging the rim. It is installed with Loctite apparently. You can see where this is going. I have been looking around for replacement parts. Pin is about $14 which is incredible. The sensor is about $274, if using OEM. Lots of knock-offs for WAY less money out there. Some guys have used these with success, others never worked. I haven't retrieved the rim and tire from the shop yet, so I don't know the exact part #. I noticed different part #s for different bikes. I think the 2014 thru 2018 are the same generation. So far I have found replacement parts for the 2016 model, but nothing for the 2015 model. Will all those models use the same parts for these tire sensors? Worse case scenario is the rim will be damaged while extracting what is left of the pin. New OEM rims run $1250 or so, plus a new sensor! Yikes! As a Plan B, I bought a used 2015 rim and now need to get a sensor replacement to match. I hope to make an inside patch on the original tire and install it on the backup rim, so I will always have a spare in reserve. Any suggestions or information about replacing the pressure sensor will be much appreciated. Oh, negotiations under way for who is responsible for the cost of fixing this mess. I have a verbal commitment from first shop to pay for a new sensor. They were not aware that the rim itself might become compromised. The saga continues.

I have a 2015 R1200RT that got a small screw puncture in the rear tire, only 2k on tire. Plugged it, but slow leak. Bought new tire with thought of patching the other one but installing with the new one. After repeated failure to get the old tire to break free from the bead, I didn't have the proper tools, I took rim and tire to a non-BMW local shop near me. Things immediately got worse. The tech, such as he was, broke the rear sensor off right at the rim. They handed me the rim, tire, and the sensor with its little pin. I took it to the nearest BMW shop where it is being repaired. They will have to try and drill out what is left of the pin left in the rim without damaging the rim. It is installed with Loctite apparently. You can see where this is going. I have been looking around for replacement parts. Pin is about $14 which is incredible. The sensor is about $274, if using OEM. Lots of knock-offs for WAY less money out there. Some guys have used these with success, others never worked. I haven't retrieved the rim and tire from the shop yet, so I don't know the exact part #. I noticed different part #s for different bikes. I think the 2014 thru 2018 are the same generation. So far I have found replacement parts for the 2016 model, but nothing for the 2015 model. Will all those models use the same parts for these tire sensors? Worse case scenario is the rim will be damaged while extracting what is left of the pin. New OEM rims run $1250 or so, plus a new sensor! Yikes! As a Plan B, I bought a used 2015 rim and now need to get a sensor replacement to match. I hope to make an inside patch on the original tire and install it on the backup rim, so I will always have a spare in reserve. Any suggestions or information about replacing the pressure sensor will be much appreciated. Oh, negotiations under way for who is responsible for the cost of fixing this mess. I have a verbal commitment from first shop to pay for a new sensor. They were not aware that the rim itself might become compromised. The saga continues.

And what have we learned from this "situation" .... go to BMW shop first as they have experience with the exact bike! Like the old saying "the cheap turns out expensive". I would make sure the first shop covers ALL the damage they did including the wheel! Good luck and keep us posted.

Back