• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wiring Denali D2 Lights on my 2004 R1150RT

scootrp125x

They call me Gort
I just bought a set of Denali lights for my BMW. Can anyone offer any advice on wiring the lights into the bike. I have the side panels and tank off. I see a set of wires coming from the left hand grip. It looked like an easy installation however the wires in front of the forks are all wrapped up. I see a small wiring harness coming from the left handlebar switch. There also appear to be two individual wires coming from the left handlebar switch.

I need to connect two wires, one to the low beam wire and one to the high beam headlight wire. I'm sure the headlight wires are there but can't really tell. My wiring diagram only shows two white wires going to the headlight, nothing shows the low and high beams. I can do oil changes and valve adjustments. Wiring is not my strong suit. Thanks for any help.
Mark

I think I wired mine back to the battery on my KTM 640. I really like them and yes they are bright!
IMG_1915-L.jpg

Thanks for the info. The wiring harness does connect to the battery however there are two more wires that allow the lights to turn on and off with the ignition switch. I can always buy a separate switch from Denali to turn the lights off and on manually but I like the idea that I don't have to remember to turn them off.

I hear you, mine have the separate switch and I’m fine with that. Now I want to mount a pair on my 1100S but not much on the front end to work with.

Keeping in mind that I've never installed a Denali product (no issues, I just haven't) and haven't seen their instructions - maybe this would help:
Behind the headlight is a plastic "dish" held on by a spring clip. Unclip it, and finagle (a high-tech term) it out of that tight space.
The low beam wire is white with a yellow runner, coming from pin 56B of the light switch; and the high beam wire is just white, coming from pin 56A.

Keeping in mind that I've never installed a Denali product (no issues, I just haven't) and haven't seen their instructions - maybe this would help:
Behind the headlight is a plastic "dish" held on by a spring clip. Unclip it, and finagle (a high-tech term) it out of that tight space.
The low beam wire is white with a yellow runner, coming from pin 56B of the light switch; and the high beam wire is just white, coming from pin 56A.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know!

I hear you, mine have the separate switch and I’m fine with that.

+1 :thumb

Having separate switches for the auxiliary lights has never been a problem for me. I've never had a problem with law enforcers but if I was ever in conflict with local laws, the separate switches would make complying easy.

+1 :thumb

Having separate switches for the auxiliary lights has never been a problem for me. I've never had a problem with law enforcers but if I was ever in conflict with local laws, the separate switches would make complying easy.

That's a good idea too.

I'm still working on the lights. I installed them on the fork screws that hold the front fender in place. These screws are on each side of the forks but I would really like to install them under the fairing section that is forward of and below the oil cooler, just above the front fender. I would have to drill two holes up from the underside of the fairing. I'm concerned about drilling holes into the plastic that could cause the plastic to crack in the future. Has anyone drilled through the plastic fairing to mount items and had any problems? I believe I have seen pictures of lights mounted in this area.

I'm also still working on the wiring. I found the wires inside the compartment where the high beam bulb is but I cant connect them because that area is sealed under normal conditions. I'm reluctant to unwrap the wiring bundles in the fairing in hopes of finding the right wire. Right now I have them wired to the battery but i have to remember to turn them off or they will drain the battery leaving me stranded. The manufacturer recommends wiring the lights to a switched power source such as the license plate wire. I already have my Third Eye Design helmet light connected to this wire. Would another accessory tapped into the same tail light wire cause any problems?

I'm still working on the lights. I installed them on the fork screws that hold the front fender in place. These screws are on each side of the forks but I would really like to install them under the fairing section that is forward of and below the oil cooler, just above the front fender. I would have to drill two holes up from the underside of the fairing. I'm concerned about drilling holes into the plastic that could cause the plastic to crack in the future. Has anyone drilled through the plastic fairing to mount items and had any problems? I believe I have seen pictures of lights mounted in this area.

My lights were originally located under the oil cooler, attached to a bracket (since sold). For me the triangle was not wide enough (in my opinion) and on occasion, the lights would bump against the front fender leaving marks on the fender's paint.

Back