• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Factory Low Suspension vs. Aftermarket

vark

In my bike search one model I am considering is the F700 GS. I need a low seat height, so the factory low suspension/low-seat option is attractive to me.

Obviously these bikes are only available on the used market (at least, here in the U.S.) So I can't special order the factory low suspension. I have to find one on the used market that otherwise meets my requirements (e.g., low miles, within geographic and price range, etc) and has the factory low suspension. Not easy but not impossible, with patience.

Or, how difficult and costly is it to convert a standard suspension to an aftermarket low suspension? Can it even be done? Is the result as good as the oem factory solution? What would be the downsides to this approach compared to the factory low suspension? Anything else to consider? Also, is the low seat readily available form BMW or other?

Thanks.

Of course there are aftermarket options... I am looking at this kit but for the F850GSA

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Touratech-30mm-Lowering-Fork-Shock-Spring-Kit-BMW-F700GS-2013-on

Thanks for that lead.

One thing I noticed in the description is that this kit does not actually lower the suspension like the factory option. It only softens the suspension so it sits lower under weight compression.

They work by using a very soft spring rate for the first 1.2" of travel, and a normal progressive rate for the rest, giving you a suspension system that is 1.2" shorter under weight, but normal length unweighted.

This is the video that got me looking at that kit...

That was a well-done video. Thanks.

They were very happy with their Progressive lowering kit, it certainly seems like a good package. But they did not seem to discuss the issue of whether it actually lowers the suspension.

I get that it will compress down more than the standard suspension with application of weight. But until that happens it is the same height which could make the mount/dismount trickier. At least, that’s how the kit for the F700 is described. Maybe the F850 kit is different?

Ohh, but hold on a sec. Maybe I am confusing the Touratec and the Hyperpro systems? Maybe Hyperpro does actually lower it?

One and the same... Hyperpro makes that kit... Made in Holland by Hyperpro for Touratech Suspension

Does anyone happen to know if it is still possible to purchase the “factory low suspension” kit from BMW, for an F650GS (twin) and F700GS? Any idea on prices?

At least in the case if the F650GS the only difference is the rear shock and the sidestand both of which should be available as individual parts. BMW did not provide a low center stand but one is available from SW Motech.

The F700GS has something different in the front forks that I can't recall.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

At least in the case if the F650GS the only difference is the rear shock and the sidestand both of which should be available as individual parts. BMW did not provide a low center stand but one is available from SW Motech.

The F700GS has something different in the front forks that I can't recall.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Thank you very much.

That sounds odd that they would only lower the rear and not the front suspension on the F650GS. I wonder why?

I did see that there is a Touratech/Hyperpro kit for the F650GS twin, similar to the F700GS kit that wachuko showed me. It “lowers” (when weighted) the front springs as well as the rear.

Another related question is whether the factory low SEAT is still available from BMW for these models?

(If someone can post-up a good on-line parts source, I will try to answer these questions myself.)

When I was looking at the F700GS for my wife we were looking for a factory lowered bike but couldn't find one locally to try and sit on and get a good feel if it would work. What we did find was a nicely options 2014 F700GS with the comfort seat. She was able to sit on the bike and get a feel for it. It was a bit tall for her so we thanked the guy and walked away.

I got home and went on ebay and for a 100 buck I found a factory lowered seat. I called the guy with the bike we made a deal and I bought the lowered seat. It works great for her. She is 5'3" with a 29" inseam. I must add we are not necessarily a fan of the thought that you have to flat foot the bike while sitting. She is on the balls of her feet when stopped and of course on one foot she is fine with the foot flat. She has now had the bike a year and a half and she does not want a lowered bike.

So I guess the point here is one needs to ask the question "why I want it lowered?"

...So I guess the point here is one needs to ask the question "why I want it lowered?"

For me, because the 850 GSA is top heavy. With very little tilt to either side, unless you have solid footing, very difficult to avoid the bike go down sideways on you. This is the main reason that I am looking to be better planted at stops... Outside of those situations, bike is a pleasure to ride.

When I was looking at the F700GS for my wife we were looking for a factory lowered bike but couldn't find one locally to try and sit on and get a good feel if it would work. What we did find was a nicely options 2014 F700GS with the comfort seat. She was able to sit on the bike and get a feel for it. It was a bit tall for her so we thanked the guy and walked away.

I got home and went on ebay and for a 100 buck I found a factory lowered seat. I called the guy with the bike we made a deal and I bought the lowered seat. It works great for her. She is 5'3" with a 29" inseam. I must add we are not necessarily a fan of the thought that you have to flat foot the bike while sitting. She is on the balls of her feet when stopped and of course on one foot she is fine with the foot flat. She has now had the bike a year and a half and she does not want a lowered bike.

So I guess the point here is one needs to ask the question "why I want it lowered?"

Thanks for that info. It's helpful.

To answer the question "why I want it lowered?" ... Don't take this the wrong way, because it's not meant as an indictment of you. But there's a tendency to assume that one person's preferences or circumstances apply universally. It happens all over the internet on forums devoted to every conceivable topic. That is where questions like this come from. It does get old but I guess it's part of human nature to be opinionated.

I am about 5" taller than your wife, but believe it or not have shorter legs. I also had a serious injury to the tendons in one foot requiring major surgery. That foot can no longer bear weight very well, and is especially aggravated by being on tip toes or anything like that which stretches the tendons. I need to be able to flat foot to bear the weight of a motorcycle and avoid re-injury. So flat footing is non-negotiable for me, even if others feel it is unnecessary for them.

I have tried the F750GS low-suspension/low-seat and was able to flat foot. According to the specs, the same should be true of an F700GS and F650GS with low-suspension/low-seat. So I am focussing my search on those models with that option.

I just wanted to understand what it would entail to convert a standard suspension to a low w/low seat, should a good deal crop up on one. From what I gather it can be done, but it seems the costs may partially negate any good deal I got in the first place.

Don't take this the wrong way, because it's not meant as an indictment of you.

Oh I don't. I just like to ask the question because I find way to often that there is a perception that you have to flat foot a motorcycle. I am a firm believer in doing what is right for you.

Granted my build is much different than yours, 5'10" 30" inseam, but on my wifes bike with the lowered seat my knees feel like they are in my throat when sitting. When I am standing over the bike I have several inches between the seat and my crotch. Enough so that I thought the bike was a lowered bike, but the serial number says differently. Although I have never checked the rear shock for length and travel. But it does have working ESA and it is my understanding that if there is a lowered shock that function goes away.

Oh I don't. I just like to ask the question because I find way to often that there is a perception that you have to flat foot a motorcycle. I am a firm believer in doing what is right for you.

Granted my build is much different than yours, 5'10" 30" inseam, but on my wifes bike with the lowered seat my knees feel like they are in my throat when sitting. When I am standing over the bike I have several inches between the seat and my crotch. Enough so that I thought the bike was a lowered bike, but the serial number says differently. Although I have never checked the rear shock for length and travel. But it does have working ESA and it is my understanding that if there is a lowered shock that function goes away.

Gotcha.

Just as a datapoint, the standard suspension was very ungainly for me - - there is no way it would work. Even a low-suspension with the standard seat was too tall. I didn't feel comfortable at all until we swapped to the low seat version.

Interesting about the ESA. I knew that some features/options get deleted on the F750GS with a low-suspension, but I had not seen that mentioned with respect to the F700 (but I'm aware of the decreased payload). It's also possible somebody put an aftermarket low-suspension kit on it (like the one wachuko mentioned.) Then again it's possible that your wife's 29" inseam and comfort level with being on the balls of her feet makes the standard suspension with low seat a good fit for her.

So I am reviving this topic.

In particular, I am trying to get to the bottom of this issue that Grabcon raised immediately above. I still have not found a definitive answer whether an F700GS with optional ESA can be fitted with an aftermarket lowering kit such as that offered by Touratech/Hyperpro:

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Touratech-30mm-Lowering-Fork-Shock-Spring-Kit-BMW-F700GS-2013-on

Does anybody have any definitive info on this question, or a suggestion on where to find it? Thanks.

So I am reviving this topic.

In particular, I am trying to get to the bottom of this issue that Grabcon raised immediately above. I still have not found a definitive answer whether an F700GS with optional ESA can be fitted with an aftermarket lowering kit such as that offered by Touratech/Hyperpro:

Does anybody have any definitive info on this question, or a suggestion on where to find it? Thanks.

Going to answer my own question, in case anyone else is researching and wondering about this issue:

I spoke with a very knowledgeable customer service rep at Touratech (he happened to own an F800GS, so was very familiar with the model.) He was able to confirm that their 30mm suspension lowering kit for the F700GS is fully compatible with the ESA option. NOTE: A factory lowered suspension is not compatible with the ESA option.

Additionally, he confirmed that - - unlike the factory lowered suspension - - using the Touratech suspension lowering kit does not reduce the spec/rated payload of the F700GS.

Further, on the subject of lowering, Touratech offers a low comfort seat for the F700GS, that reduces seat height by an additional 20 mm (0.8"). Together with the suspension kit this would reduce seat height by 50mm (2").

So, an aftermarket lowering approach using Touratech offerings seems not only to be entirely viable, but offers significant benefits over the factory low suspension.

Hopefully this info will help others with similar questions.

I am adding another update to this thread in case someone else who is inseam-challenged is considering an F700GS and wondering about the seat height options.

I recently had the opportunity to sit on an F700GS with factory low suspension and low seat options. I have a 28” inseam, and wearing only basic boots with no more sole height than a running shoe (maybe less), I was able to flat foot this bike with a slight bend in my knee. With both feet solidly planted, the bike feels light and easily managed.

This bike truly does offer a very low seat-height option. So low that I am now reconsidering the factory low suspension and considering going with a standard suspension and using the Touratech/Hyperpro lowering kit instead (to maintain payload capacity, and ESA availability.)

I would recommend that anyone who is short-statured and wants a moderately capable adventure bike platform, take a hard look at the F700GS with factory low suspension. It really does offer a nice low option.

Back