Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Factory Low Suspension vs. Aftermarket

Quote Originally Posted by tyeley View Post
    I recently left the cruiser world and purchased a '12 F650GS with the factory low option. The bike only had 1800 miles. I loved it until I went on a forest road and found out how easily it bottoms out. It was only upon doing some research that I learned of the greatly diminished load carrying capability. This greatly disappoints me. (my own fault however, I get that). My question is, is the solution as simply as finding someone willing to swap the rear shock assemblies? I can live with the gain in height if it means a stronger set up and more capacity.

I'm brand new here and if this topic has been beaten to death previously, I apologize.

Thanks!
    I don’t know whether the decreased payload of the F700GS factory-low also applies to the F650GS twin. Have you confirmed that?

Sometimes the least expensive option is to sell and buy a standard suspension bike. Based on my recent purchase experience, there seems to be a very strong market for factory-low suspension GS models. They get snapped up much quicker than the standard height models.

I have the standard suspension with low-seat option. Even with my short inseam, it is proving to be a good option for me.
    2013 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    I don’t know whether the decreased payload of the F700GS factory-low also applies to the F650GS twin. Have you confirmed that?
    From the F650GS specs:
    Permitted total weight:
    • 436 kg (with lowered suspension 349 kg)
    Payload (with standard equipment):
    • 237 kg (with lowered suspension 150 kg)

Quote Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
    From the F650GS specs:
    Permitted total weight:
    • 436 kg (with lowered suspension 349 kg)
    Payload (with standard equipment):
    • 237 kg (with lowered suspension 150 kg)
    So, very similar to the F700GS. Good to know. Thanks.
    2013 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by tyeley View Post
    I recently left the cruiser world and purchased a '12 F650GS with the factory low option. The bike only had 1800 miles. I loved it until I went on a forest road and found out how easily it bottoms out. It was only upon doing some research that I learned of the greatly diminished load carrying capability. This greatly disappoints me. (my own fault however, I get that). My question is, is the solution as simply as finding someone willing to swap the rear shock assemblies? I can live with the gain in height if it means a stronger set up and more capacity.

I'm brand new here and if this topic has been beaten to death previously, I apologize.

Thanks!
    I don’t know specifically about the 650, but a low 700 rear shock preload can be cranked up quite a ways using a tool found under the seat. That, and some adjustment of the small damping screw near the bottom of the shock, should prevent hard bottoming one-up on a forest road.
    -Live as fully as you can as long as you can-