Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Factory Low Suspension vs. Aftermarket

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, because it's not meant as an indictment of you.
    Oh I don't. I just like to ask the question because I find way to often that there is a perception that you have to flat foot a motorcycle. I am a firm believer in doing what is right for you.

Granted my build is much different than yours, 5'10" 30" inseam, but on my wifes bike with the lowered seat my knees feel like they are in my throat when sitting. When I am standing over the bike I have several inches between the seat and my crotch. Enough so that I thought the bike was a lowered bike, but the serial number says differently. Although I have never checked the rear shock for length and travel. But it does have working ESA and it is my understanding that if there is a lowered shock that function goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by grabcon View Post
    Oh I don't. I just like to ask the question because I find way to often that there is a perception that you have to flat foot a motorcycle. I am a firm believer in doing what is right for you.

Granted my build is much different than yours, 5'10" 30" inseam, but on my wifes bike with the lowered seat my knees feel like they are in my throat when sitting. When I am standing over the bike I have several inches between the seat and my crotch. Enough so that I thought the bike was a lowered bike, but the serial number says differently. Although I have never checked the rear shock for length and travel. But it does have working ESA and it is my understanding that if there is a lowered shock that function goes away.
    Gotcha.

Just as a datapoint, the standard suspension was very ungainly for me - - there is no way it would work. Even a low-suspension with the standard seat was too tall. I didn't feel comfortable at all until we swapped to the low seat version.

Interesting about the ESA. I knew that some features/options get deleted on the F750GS with a low-suspension, but I had not seen that mentioned with respect to the F700 (but I'm aware of the decreased payload). It's also possible somebody put an aftermarket low-suspension kit on it (like the one wachuko mentioned.) Then again it's possible that your wife's 29" inseam and comfort level with being on the balls of her feet makes the standard suspension with low seat a good fit for her.