• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Toasted Final Drive - 2007 R1200RT - Who Repairs?

drneo66

Well, it looks like I'm in need of a final drive repair/replacement on my 2007 R1200RT with 93k miles. I have some severe clicking when the bike is at low speed and I turn to the left.

The drive shaft is good (as it was replaced 5k miles ago). I don't have any noticeable play if I rock the wheel side to side and I don't have more than two inches of movement when I do the Steve Campbell method of looking for play forward/backwards.

I dropped the oil and found nothing on the magnet. However, when I slowly turn the final drive by hand, I do feel notches in several different places.

It looks like Anton at Virginia Motorrad does a repair, and a forum post mentioned Motoworks Chicago, does anyone else do them here in the USA?

Once I do all the research, I'll put together another "Current State" for the 1200's

I've got the tools to rebuild the final drive. I live in the Twin Cities.

Hi,

Do you have play at 12:00 and 6:00 o'clock when you grab the wheel?

I have all the tools to rebuild a R1200 final drive. There are quite a few gadgets required. I do not put any pressure on the incorrect bearing races like many of the YouTube videos. I'm an former mechanic and current engineer.

You buy the parts and we'll do the job together. If you are satisfied, you can pay me whatever you feel is appropriate.

Or we can first dismantle the final drive and inspect for damage.

Bring it up to the Twin Cities or send it to me.

Are you in the Minnesota Club?

Erik

Back