• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Considering US Cross Country Trip - R1150R

achilles8857

Greetings,
I'm planning a 4~6 week cross country trip in 2020 (and do hope to hit the MOA National Rally!). But debating whether my bike is the one to make the trek.
2004 R1150R Sport Tourer as they say, with 45,500 miles, all scheduled maintenance has been done over its' life, and now has new Michelin tires. Has not needed a new clutch. I will likely do a leakdown test before heading out, just in case, based on what the plugs looked like last time they were changed.
In general I'm pretty comfortable on the bike on paved roads in hot, cold or rain, but have never taken it off-road.

I've done two long tours, one in Europe on a late model 1200RT and one in South Africa on a brand new 2017 1200GS. Loved them both. Europe was all paved back roads / very little highway (such as the Autobahn), and no off roads. SA involved a little (10%) gravelly stuff, so the GS was just great all around.

I've had this R1150R bike for two years and done one trip up/down the east coast Florida to Penna, all great back roads like the Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail of the Dragon. It performed very well - no issues other than the typical leak around the oil filler lid which was fixed easily.
However on this upcoming trip I know I'll be doing some moto-camping in areas of the American West. I've never spent any time out West, and I'm guessing this might involve taking the bike off road, out in the heat of the western desert, and up into high elevations. Camping maybe 2~3 days out of 10, say, and while I don't expect to be fording the occasional rocky stream, one never knows. In general I'm concerned about the general stress and reliability of a bike of this mileage in the conditions out West.

Just wondering for folks opinions on whether my current bike, given it's age and capabilities, is the right (or simply an acceptable one) for the job. Considering selling it and getting a GS / GS Adventure.
I know opinions will vary wildly, but thanks for any feedback.

This may be apples and oranges since my bike is a newer 2013 R1200R, but unless you have some mechanical issues, it should be fine. Mine has been cross country twice and once to Alaska in the last 4 years and has more miles than your 1150R. I can't see a need for a leak-down at this stage unless you suspect or know it's been abused. If your clutch hasn't been abused, it should have plenty of wear for a cross-country. Check brakes and fluids. You should be fine. Now, if you really want an excuse to get a GS, don't show my response to your SO. Go get the bike.

Doug

I sold my R1150R with 177,000 miles on it. The engine never had any work. Neither did the transmission. It never had an on-road failure that prevented further travel. Voni on her 412,000 mile R1100RS and I on my R1150R traveled all over the US and much of Canada. Even with well over 100,000 miles I never hesitated to take that bike on a trip as long as it had up-to-date service and decent tires. I never used that bike as a dual sport bike but on many occasions rode a mile or few miles down a gravel road to a camping opportunity or tourist attraction (trap :) )

We have ridden all over the west. Unless you are stuck in a construction zone or something heat will not be an issue. When stopped for a period of time, turn the engine off. We live in the Texas Bigbend where summer temperatures often are triple digits but the bike never cared. LA to Las Vegas at 114 degrees F the bikes didn't care but the riders did.

As long as the bike's ergonomics fit you with a comfortable riding position the R1150R is an excellent touring motorcycle.

ADDED: Riding from Florida to Montana and further west will be much easier than riding from Florida to Maine. The lack of congestion will be shocking if you have never driven or ridden across the Great Plains and Mountain West.

Last edited:
Oh you East coast people are funny. No, us out West people don't have Indians still shooting at us.
I had a bike just like your. As far as roads go, your fine. Stay off of soft sand, deep mud and tennis ball or larger rocks. The rock one I know about personally.:wave

I rode a 1986 K75c to the 1998 Missoula rally. The bike had over 80K on the ODO. Never crossed a stream or needed the pack mules. If you don't have one, mount a windshield, you'll enjoy the relief from the drag load. Mount new tires before and plan for an oil change during the loop.

That's about it

Oh, the animal and insect life in FLA is probably scarier than anything you'll find in the west.

Old bike?! My newest is a K75c, 1986 vintage and I've made several cross country trips in the last few years on a /5.

Took my 07RT out west from central Florida for a 4 week road trip in June 2017. 10K miles, 12 NPs, 13 states, 105F - 28F, 14K feet - 0 feet. No issues and no soreness thanks to the RDL saddle. Rear Michelin PR4GT had to be replaced when I got home though. Could have got a few K more out of the front.

I've gone coast to coast one summer (Ontario to southern California and then to Cape Breton Island and then back to southern Ontario) on my '98 R1100RT. I expect that it most likely had about 120,000 to 130,000 miles at the beginning of that summer. There were gravel and dirt roads to campgrounds but no streams to cross. Both low and high elevations with street tires and no problems (and I do not like gravel :)). If your bike is serviced, along with newish tires, your bike should be a fine ride for your trip. :thumb

Considering I just rode my ‘82 R65 LS from Newfoundland to Tennessee last June I figure you’re good to go. Pretty much any bike will do a little off-road. My R1100 S is fine on dirt roads. Giv ‘er!

Now, if you really want an excuse to get a GS, don't show my response to your SO. Go get the bike.

Doug

Seems to be a theme here. Everybody's taking away my excuses to get a GS :-(.
Anyway - thanks to one and all who responded - looks like my concerns are nothing more that - pre-road jitters. The bike is good to go.

Took my 07RT out west from central Florida for a 4 week road trip in June 2017. 10K miles, 12 NPs, 13 states, 105F - 28F, 14K feet - 0 feet. No issues and no soreness thanks to the RDL saddle. Rear Michelin PR4GT had to be replaced when I got home though. Could have got a few K more out of the front.

Mike maybe I'm equivocating, but I see the RT's as being a bit more 'touring' than sport, when compared to the R's. 'Cause of the farings and all.

I did a 2500 miler up and down the east coast on the R, summer 2018. When I reached that highest elevation on the Blue Ridge Parkway (6K ft), I was wet and COLD, especially hands. Wasn't expecting that.
Not saying that the RT would have been a decidedly better choice, but if the R is the way to go, I plan to get better wet gear, gloves and handguards!
Any other advice is appreciated.

I've traveled a fair amount on a 08 R1200R, including 5 trips between AK and the states, and it had more miles on it than your bike. If properly maintained and prepared your bike can be a superb touring machine. If you don't alrady have a windshield, then I recommend getting one. Riding with a screen can be much less tiring on a long trip. A well thoughtout luggage set-up is also important.

Post some pictures of your bike and we can all suggest ideas for spending your money.

Oh, and we live 80 miles south of the Great Falls rally site. Looks promising for the roads to be paved all the way to Great falls and there will be ample rafts available to cross the Missouri.:thumb

E867CD25-F3AF-44DA-A084-EE7DAAC01B78.png

H has a 2002 that has 120K and used to be her long haul bike. Still her fav Roadster compared to her Hexhead variant

It has GS handguards with Touratech extensions and a CeeBailey screen with Saenz edging to redirect rain. No, not as much rain protection as a RT or the GSA with their tank profile, but a very capable tourer from her experience and comments as I type this.

With good gear for varying weather and altitude, she rolled on with a smile for the majority of those miles and wouldn’t think twice about taking another coast to coast trip on it.

Any bike can be a tourer... all in gear choices and mindset.

edit: We have taken our share of gravel,all weather,and other non glass smooth pavement...I got fussed at for navigation skills or lack of on some choices, but the road tire clad Roadster never skipped a beat for its pilot

Last edited:
Back