• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A Treatise on the Importance of Smoke in Motorcycle Electrical Systems

Liaison
Staff member
http://www.britcycle.com/Manuals/LucasSmoke001.htm

Purportedly take from the 1959 Triumph Bonneville Owner's Manual!

A Treatise on the Importance of Smoke
by Joseph Lucas​

Positive ground depends on proper circuit functioning, which is the transmission of negative ions by retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as "smoke". Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work. We know this to be true because every time one lets the smoke out of an electrical circuit, it stops working. This can be verified repeatedly through empirical testing. For example, if one places a copper bar across the terminals of a battery, prodigious quantities of smoke are liberated and the battery shortly ceases to function. In addition, if one observes smoke escaping from an electrical component such as a Lucas voltage regulator, it will also be observed that the component no longer functions. The logic is elementary and inescapable!

The function of the wiring harness is to conduct the smoke from one device to another. When the wiring springs a leak and lets all the smoke out of the system, nothing works afterward.

Starter motors were considered unsuitable for British motorcycles for some time largely because they consumed large quantities of
smoke, requiring very unsightly large wires.

It has been reported that Lucas electrical components are possibly more prone to electrical leakage than their Bosch, Japanese or American counterparts. Experts point out that this is because Lucas is British, and all things British leak. British engines leak oil, British shock absorbers, hydraulic forks and disk brake systems leak fluid, British tires leak air and British Intelligence leaks national defence secrets. Therefore, it follows that British electrical systems must leak smoke. Once again, the logic is clear and inescapable.

In conclusion, the basic concept of transmission of electrical energy in the form of smoke provides a logical explanation of the mysteries of electrical components - especially British units manufactured by Joseph Lucas, Ltd.

"A gentleman does not motor about after dark."

Joseph Lucas (1842 - 1903)

Thanks for the laugh this morning and not so fond memories of being of being stuck in the middle of nowhere in the sixties and seventies, a victim of "Electrics by Lucas".

Fortunately, replacement is available...

Smoke.jpg

Curiously, my TR6R was a LOT more reliable than my TR7RV...

This would be a very funny thread if it was not so true. The smoke escaped from my 1975 Norton years ago and it sat it the basement until I could find a Norton guru that knew how to put the smoke back in. He said the key was to pay big dollars for the original smoke.

I had to sell my Triumph GT6+ 35 years ago or so because living in Hawaii at the time, I could not buy OEM smoke. Aftermarket smoke just didn't work.

"ooops, I let the smoke out" has had the universal distinction of being the defining factor in troubleshooting any electrical component.

"ooops, I let the smoke out" has had the universal distinction of being the defining factor in troubleshooting any electrical component.

Indeed. And sometimes the escape of the smoke can be quite violent. One time I accidentally hit a 5V integrated circuit with 24 VDC. The smoke came out along with a 1/4" diameter chunk of the epoxy top of the IC, resulting in a small dent in the ceiling. Wear safety glasses.

Indeed. And sometimes the escape of the smoke can be quite violent. One time I accidentally hit a 5V integrated circuit with 24 VDC. The smoke came out along with a 1/4" diameter chunk of the epoxy top of the IC, resulting in a small dent in the ceiling. Wear safety glasses.

Didn't the Platters sign a song in 1958 "Smoke gets in your eyes"? :dance

Back