• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Frustrated...

amadison

I *love* my S1000RR. Best 2 wheeler I have ever owned. Very fast, probably too fast, and should consider myself lucky I haven't lost my license yet (albeit no tix so far, knock on wooden head). Absolutely planted on dry pavement, never had a bike that gave me 100% confidence no matter the pavement or angle.

That said, I don't ride it often enough. I need a *slightly* more practical form of transportation. Once upon a time, I had a VFR 800 with a Givi top box. An example of it being a more useful ride, I could coax a case of beer and a bag of ice into the top box. So my first question is, for anyone who has felt like I do, has adding luggage (I'm thinking saddle bags) to your RR opened it up for more riding opportunities?

To open the discussion to more people, let say you either owned a RR and traded it in, or skipped the RR and went to another motorcycle because of the practicality issue. What did you get? Was luggage involved in that solution? Briefly, what was your reasoning or issues encountered that shaped your decision?

Thanks in advance.

I have a KTM 640 Adventure that I run a small’ish top box and tank bag if I want. Touring I add throw over panniers and roll top duffel.

My KTM 525 is destined for Siberia next year and I will run a tank bag and Mosko Moto R80’s. I need to do some tests NF with my tank bag but that requires the motor to be back in it.

My ‘82 R65 LS has hard bags and my roll top panniers fit inside for dry convenience and I run my same tank bag and roll top duffel on it for touring.

My R1100 S has factory hard bags but I’ve yet to tour on it and my tank bag works on it.

My scooter is mostly just for beer runs but it has decent storage under the seat.

Amadison, have you considered the S1000XR. It would seem to offer the performance characteristics you like and can be equipped for touring. I’ve seen a few on the road and at rallies that were set-up well for touring. Looked like a sport tourer with emphasis on the sport aspect.

As far as adding luggage to your sportbike, consider a company called Giant Loop Moto.

Their Great Basin bag is u-shaped and attaches/removes very easily. The shape hugs the bike and has almost no impact on handling. This bag requires no racks, an as you can see from the photos, it avoids fouling most exhaust pipes, too. The GL Coyote Bag is the same design, a bit smaller. When you visit their site you see that Giant Loop focuses on enduro and adventure riding, but these two bags work exceptionally well on sport bikes. It also carries a case of beer and 20 pounds of ice quite well! :1drink

IMG_1276-L.jpg

These bags are exceptionally light and rugged, about as waterproof as things get, and can be expanded or modified with a nice system of extras... duffles, pouches, etc. My setup includes the Great Basin with the Tillamook double-ended dry bag strapped to the GB.

One thing to know is that you will need the static cling vinyl material they sell to protect your paintwork,

IMG_1326-L.jpg

IMG_1619-L.jpg

The Giant Loop bags are not for everyone, they take some thought for packing, you want to see them in person before you buy. But their gas bags are excellent.

Last edited:
I wanted something as fast as the RR with the exhilaration of speed, but can't stand the ergos. Like you, I needed a little bit of storage. Bought a S1000R and put bags on..... end of story!

IMG_0473.jpg

I got an S1000R as a good street bike to complement my R1200GSA which now permanently wears knobby tires. The RR is a great bike no doubt, especially on the track, but I found the R with a more upright position, more mid range torque was more usable on the street. The GS and the S1000R are very different from one another, so they offer a nice variety.... may be worth looking at a different type of bike to augment the RR.

I believe the old adage is the ideal number of bikes is N+1, where N is the current number you own. Of course, since I got the S1000R I added 2 more bikes to the stable, so I've done my part to follow that adage and have my sights set on the next one to add.

What I love about bikes is that each one can have a very different character than another and they are substantially cheaper to buy than cars, so having a few different ones is possible.

I believe the old adage is the ideal number of bikes is N+1, where N is the current number you own.

My wife and I were talking about a friend that has his collection of stuff that we don't understand why you would need more that a short few. I mentioned no one needs that much of anything, except motorcycles. My wife agreed and said it was less money that a psychiatrist!

My wife and I were talking about a friend that has his collection of stuff that we don't understand why you would need more that a short few. I mentioned no one needs that much of anything, except motorcycles. My wife agreed and said it was less money that a psychiatrist!

And your friend is likely wondering why anyone needs more than one motorcycle. To each their own.

I test rode the 2020 S1000RR. Beautiful motor but I can't handle those ergos at my age.

As for motorcycles the correct number is N+1.

Just get you an XR and be done with it....

26d53978a23ec42ac948655ba998b178.jpg

Damn your XR is pretty. I'm looking hard at the 2020, in Red. I already have a long distance tourer (RT) and a nice Dual sport (F850GSA) but the XR might work as a daily driver, especially with those slick factory hard bags. Did you upgrade the exhaust? Hard to see in the pic. Very interested in your journey with the XR is you have time to lay it on us.

Scotty

N plus 1

I have the S1000R. Fell in love with the R9T Scrambler. Well I then stumbled on an old R1100R
Long story short, all I ride is the 1100....
The S is for sale and my son has claimed the scrambler. His 675 street triple collecting dust next to my S1000R. I consider myself lucky to have survived that relationship with the crazed axe murderer it is.
But the ergonomics are great on all 3.
My garage only holds the 4 bikes so once I sell one I will probably fill the spot. Having an empty space is a sacrilege

Back