Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Everything Facebook knows about you

  1. #16
    Registered User jandhumphreyme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Central Maine
    Posts
    511
    It's very interesting that they collect so much information but FB is just new media. The fact that they collect and sell data should not surprise anyone, the internet is a virtual world no different than the street corner in your hometown and FB has set themselves up to watch you come and go in this virtual world and record your wonderings and sell the info to those who are interested, not unlike what any individual could do in the real world. Anonymity is part of the reason things have become so caustic in this virtual world, many things typed in private would not be said in face to face conversation for fear of a bloody nose I for one am to simple to use FB, I could never understand it or figure out how it could work for me, so I never signed up, don't think I ever will now, should this forum or other forums go by the way, so will I.

    As far as bias and manipulating public opinion there has ALWAYS been bias in our media be it newspapers, books, or social commentary, it is part of the human condition. In years past it was for sale on in any street corner news stand but now with new media it can flash before your eyes as soon as someone dreams it up. The thought that people are just now being manipulated with false stories is just not accurate and shows just how little we remember or maybe never learned about our own history. Centuries past newspapers were even more venomous than they are now, and drawn along party lines bought and paid for just like today. Democracy's greatest strength lies in the individual and his/her ability to discern truth for themselves, Benjamin Franklin argued this at the constitutional convention when many of the other delegates were arguing that the masses were too uneducated and unsophisticated in thought to be able to discern fact from fiction and on this basis be denied the right to vote for higher office officials. We are all in this great experiment together and can separate out the baloney from truth. I believe the greatest threat to democracy is as Charles Dickens wrote in his story a Christmas Carol, when the ghost of Christmas present pulled back his robes to expose the two children hidden underneath, “They are Man's and they cling to me, appealing from their fathers. This boy is Ignorance and this girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased.”
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

  2. #17
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    5,509
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    It's very interesting that they collect so much information but FB is just new media. The fact that they collect and sell data should not surprise anyone, the internet is a virtual world no different than the street corner in your hometown and FB has set themselves up to watch you come and go in this virtual world and record your wonderings and sell the info to those who are interested, not unlike what any individual could do in the real world. Anonymity is part of the reason things have become so caustic in this virtual world, many things typed in private would not be said in face to face conversation for fear of a bloody nose I for one am to simple to use FB, I could never understand it or figure out how it could work for me, so I never signed up, don't think I ever will now, should this forum or other forums go by the way, so will I.

    As far as bias and manipulating public opinion there has ALWAYS been bias in our media be it newspapers, books, or social commentary, it is part of the human condition. In years past it was for sale on in any street corner news stand but now with new media it can flash before your eyes as soon as someone dreams it up. The thought that people are just now being manipulated with false stories is just not accurate and shows just how little we remember or maybe never learned about our own history. Centuries past newspapers were even more venomous than they are now, and drawn along party lines bought and paid for just like today. Democracy's greatest strength lies in the individual and his/her ability to discern truth for themselves, Benjamin Franklin argued this at the constitutional convention when many of the other delegates were arguing that the masses were too uneducated and unsophisticated in thought to be able to discern fact from fiction and on this basis be denied the right to vote for higher office officials. We are all in this great experiment together and can separate out the baloney from truth. I believe the greatest threat to democracy is as Charles Dickens wrote in his story a Christmas Carol, when the ghost of Christmas present pulled back his robes to expose the two children hidden underneath, “They are Man's and they cling to me, appealing from their fathers. This boy is Ignorance and this girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased.”
    One should note, Ben Franklin's opinions where not incorporated into the US Constitution.

    Voting rights were (and still are) determined by the states. Following the adoption of the constitution, white, male property owners were typically afforded the rights of voting. According to some estimates, that was 6% of the male population. The 14 and 15th amendments extended citizenship & voting to all men, but those laws were circumvented in many areas by poll taxes, literacy and residency tests for nearly a century. In a 1898 Supreme Court decision, any person born in the USA was determined to be a citizen. In 1920, women were given the federal right to vote. In 1924, American Indians were granted citizenship. In 1943, the Chinese exclusion laws were ended.

    Finally, in 1965, we passed a federal law that said........

    "SEC. 2. No voting qualification or prerequisite to voting, or standard, practice, or procedure shall be imposed or applied by any State or political subdivision to deny or abridge the right of any citizen of the United States to vote on account of race or color."

    That was nearly two centuries after Franklin expressed his sentiments.

    Democracy does not insure an idyllic utopia and can be a fragile thing as evidenced by Pre WW-II Germany, Italy and Spain. Once you invite outside interests to meddle in your affairs, you're more than compromised
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  3. #18
    Registered User powwow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    It's very interesting that they collect so much information but FB is just new media. The fact that they collect and sell data should not surprise anyone, the internet is a virtual world no different than the street corner in your hometown and FB has set themselves up to watch you come and go in this virtual world and record your wonderings and sell the info to those who are interested, not unlike what any individual could do in the real world. Anonymity is part of the reason things have become so caustic in this virtual world, many things typed in private would not be said in face to face conversation for fear of a bloody nose I for one am to simple to use FB, I could never understand it or figure out how it could work for me, so I never signed up, don't think I ever will now, should this forum or other forums go by the way, so will I.

    As far as bias and manipulating public opinion there has ALWAYS been bias in our media be it newspapers, books, or social commentary, it is part of the human condition. In years past it was for sale on in any street corner news stand but now with new media it can flash before your eyes as soon as someone dreams it up. The thought that people are just now being manipulated with false stories is just not accurate and shows just how little we remember or maybe never learned about our own history. Centuries past newspapers were even more venomous than they are now, and drawn along party lines bought and paid for just like today. Democracy's greatest strength lies in the individual and his/her ability to discern truth for themselves, Benjamin Franklin argued this at the constitutional convention when many of the other delegates were arguing that the masses were too uneducated and unsophisticated in thought to be able to discern fact from fiction and on this basis be denied the right to vote for higher office officials. We are all in this great experiment together and can separate out the baloney from truth. I believe the greatest threat to democracy is as Charles Dickens wrote in his story a Christmas Carol, when the ghost of Christmas present pulled back his robes to expose the two children hidden underneath, “They are Man's and they cling to me, appealing from their fathers. This boy is Ignorance and this girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased.”
    I agree with your comment that manipulating public opinion is nothing new. However, it's quite a different approach when you talk about broad media such as newspapers or books versus messages that have been specifically tailored to your own personal biases or weaknesses. The logarithms of Facebook have dissected your personal Ignorance and Want to a degree that not even you are aware of and social media has provided the means to deliver personal messages efficiently and directly. This is dramatically more effective in forming individual opinions than the mass media of the past.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

  4. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    The logarithms of Facebook have dissected your personal Ignorance and Want to a degree that not even you are aware of and social media has provided the means to deliver personal messages efficiently and directly. This is dramatically more effective in forming individual opinions than the mass media of the past.
    This can be true, but it can also be false if a person understands and realizes that propaganda is being directed, and approaches information with critical thinking and their own solid values. Yes people can be manipulated, but it is not inevitable. For those whom it is effective, I'm sorry.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  5. #20
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    5,509
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    For those whom it is effective, I'm sorry.
    True, all things do, eventually, correct themselves. However, the clean-up can be atrocious.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  6. #21
    Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.Florida
    Posts
    1,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    I got your meme for ya right here!

    So very true!
    Reason I quit 2 years ago too..
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

  7. #22
    Registered User powwow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    This can be true, but it can also be false if a person understands and realizes that propaganda is being directed, and approaches information with critical thinking and their own solid values. Yes people can be manipulated, but it is not inevitable. For those whom it is effective, I'm sorry.
    I completely agree with you, Paul. However, I fear you might be giving too much credit for critical thinking skills and solid values.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

  8. #23

  9. #24
    Or whether or not they like kitties - with a K.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Or whether or not they like kitties - with a K.
    Technical correction.... they are KITTEHS!

  11. #26
    skibum69 skibum69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    New Melbourne, NL
    Posts
    907
    I stopped using FB as well but my Untappd check is still show up there.

    I would also say r democracy is more fragile now than it has been in a long time.

    And I like kittehs too.
    IMG_0165-L.jpg
    IMG_3073-L.jpg
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

  12. #27
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    5,509
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    I stopped using FB as well but my Untappd check is still show up there.

    I would also say r democracy is more fragile now than it has been in a long time.

    And I like kittehs too.
    IMG_0165-L.jpg
    IMG_3073-L.jpg
    Considering the length of winter in NL, you must get a lot of cat time......
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  13. #28
    X-Troller hexst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    N.E. Flawda
    Posts
    308
    people quit facebook but keep a hey google thing or alexa in their house, buy a smart tv that records everything you say or use siri on their phone that sends all info to apple and who knows where.
    Knick
    R1200GS
    Vespa ET4

  14. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    B.P., MN
    Posts
    1,177
    The point of propaganda is that the receiver be incognizant of the message. Reality itself has been questioned from Rousseau forward. However, the first time you swung yer leg over a motorcycle you encountered reality. Information is a commodity. To know is everything. Reality can be shaped. Imagine information being sold! A mere tip of an iceberg. Reality is the bedrock on which empiricism is based. Empiricism is where we got motorcycles and everything else. As much as we think we know, is as much as we know. A few random thoughts on where we are. Is this a motorcycle I'm sitting on? You'll know when you tip over. Am I sharing family fun with my friends? One day we'll all know.
    Last edited by 8ninety8; 11-07-2019 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Forgot a thought

  15. #30
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    5,509
    For centuries, both learned and common men verified daily that the sun revolved around the earth, the earth was flat and the king ruled by the grace of God(s). They confirmed that, everyday. Just by being. And, in the end, in death, it was all confirmed.

    Anything is info, but little is fact. That's why we built schools and libraries.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Similar Threads

  1. Getting rid of Facebook?
    By RIDERR1150GSADV in forum Campfire
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-01-2018, 10:35 PM
  2. MOA Facebook page
    By ricochetrider in forum Campfire
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-05-2014, 04:25 PM
  3. Facebook Group
    By bullfrog_28560 in forum Wetheads
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 05:20 PM
  4. MOA on Facebook.
    By motorman587 in forum Campfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-27-2013, 03:51 PM
  5. Who's on Facebook?
    By burnszilla in forum Campfire
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 01:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •