Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Everything Facebook knows about you

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Everything Facebook knows about you

For those interested.......FB isn't "free" as you entrance/use fee is your information

How to download a copy of everything Facebook knows about you

From CNBC-

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/23/how-...about-you.html

What facebook knows-

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

No Facebook account = no worries.
    1973 R75/5

If you think "they" don't already have that information about you, I believe you are naive.

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

There's a similar listing for Twitter on the CNBC website.

So, any nefarious agent or organization could know just about anything by tracking an oblivious user of these accounts, tailoring BS to feed the ignorant and get a desired result. In other words, advertising or disinformation
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    A friend of mine wanted me to explain some of this. I asked this person to rate their FB time/usage based on what they saw others FB time/usage.
    They ran the "scan" and the information load from this self rated "small" user resulted in 507MB of information on file.
    507MB of information is best explained as-

A typical typed page without any images contains about two kilobytes, or 1,024 bytes of information. A megabyte, therefore, can support about 500 typed pages.
    Holy server farm Batman!

This person has been on FB since 2008.

If you think "they" don't already have that information about you, I believe you are naive.
    I think there is a good chance "they" paid FB for it

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    A friend of mine wanted me to explain some of this. I asked this person to rate their FB time/usage based on what they saw others FB time/usage.
    They ran the "scan" and the information load from this self rated "small" user resulted in 507MB of information on file.
    507MB of information is best explained as-

Holy server farm Batman!

This person has been on FB since 2008.

I think there is a good chance "they" paid FB for it

OM
    Cambridge Analytica has lots of customers
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Exactly why I cancelled my Facebook account 2 years ago. I was an early adopter of Facebook having started the account in late 2006, but just decided I didn't want my personal information so exposed to an organization that clearly felt no obligation to protect it. As I've watched Facebook in the news the last couple of years, I've had zero regrets about my decision.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Well, from that list most is internet stuff like IP address and such. The enduring stuff like hometown and the fact I use English doesn't seem like too mysterious to me. I am not on Facebook, but if I were that "scary" stuff would not deter me one bit. From the time I was about six years old anybody who cared could find out where I lived and that the phone number to tell my mom about my latest stunt was 55667.

I am far more afraid of what information the government and medical establishment have. Ever notice that the "secret code verification" for anything medical is your birth date. Doctor, insurance, hospital, pharmacy, clinic - all ask you to verify you are who you claim to be using your birth date. And then financial - insurance, employer, lender, title company, anybody who will give you an IRS 1099 Form, etc all require your social security number.

Not to mention Experian and the banks and Google.

And don't forget that any employer you ever worked for who withheld Social Security or other taxes, and any book keeper or accountant who worked for that employer, has or could have your social security number.

So if Facebook has some things I "liked", it doesn't bother me a bit. I am positive YMMV.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

FaceBook and some other tech corporations have the ability to filter information and shape public opinion in a manner and to a scope never seen before. The decisions on what information is presented and to whom are made by corporate officers based on their own political and social biases. For our young, they wield influence on a par with (if not greater than) our schools, churches and family. Some people are unconcerned about the impact Facebook and their ilk are having on our young, because they tend to agree with the bias Facebook displays, but they should be deeply concerned. The next big thing may become even more influential and it may be controlled by people who have beliefs that are much different.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

I like kitties.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

I got your meme for ya right here!

To Kevin's point, Facebook has so much information on people now, they are able to serve up advertising messages specifically tailored to the response they want from the individual. In mh opinion, it's not just information, but rather an underhanded way to manipulate individuals opinion. This includes false/inflammatory messaging that can potentially have a great influence on our elections (possibly already did) and other elections around the world. When you factor in all the false messaging, it truly is a scary proposition for democracy.

To be clear, my reasoning for cancelling my account wasn't just related to personal information. I tired of the constant flow of advertising and political related messaging that, for me, gave no value to the platform. The 10% of value I was receiving wasn't worth putting up with the 90% of garbage. I do still have an Instagram (also owned by Facebook) account so I can keep track of family pictures and activities. However, I'm VERY selective about who I follow (and who follows me) and will not allow the account to swell to the 700+ "friends" I had with Facebook. Time will tell on Instagram...I'm beginning to tire of the advertising on that site as well.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    I got your meme for ya right here!

I still like kitties even if you think that is dumb. Oh, and "be afraid, very afraid." It vastly improves the quality of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I still like kitties even if you think that is dumb.
    I notice you don't post much there....

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    FaceBook and some other tech corporations have the ability to filter information and shape public opinion in a manner and to a scope never seen before. The decisions on what information is presented and to whom are made by corporate officers based on their own political and social biases. For our young, they wield influence on a par with (if not greater than) our schools, churches and family. Some people are unconcerned about the impact Facebook and their ilk are having on our young, because they tend to agree with the bias Facebook displays, but they should be deeply concerned. The next big thing may become even more influential and it may be controlled by people who have beliefs that are much different.
    Kevin,

It's actually the older folks that truly scare me. Kids know they're being lied too. The retirees think they're getting the inside info from the real movers and shakers. I recently had the head of a public authority tell me that no cyber attack had ever taken place against a US utility. When I provided the DHS reports which track cyber attacks and evaluate our system weaknesses for the past several years (they go back to 2006), he completely dismissed the info and proceeded with a plan for a web based control/monitoring system. Talk about putting it all out there.......