• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Everything Facebook knows about you

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
For those interested.......FB isn't "free" as you entrance/use fee is your information :eek

How to download a copy of everything Facebook knows about you

From CNBC-

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/23/how-to-download-a-copy-of-facebook-data-about-you.html

What facebook knows-

105085478-sample.JPG

OM

If you think "they" don't already have that information about you, I believe you are naive.

Voni
sMiling

There's a similar listing for Twitter on the CNBC website.

So, any nefarious agent or organization could know just about anything by tracking an oblivious user of these accounts, tailoring BS to feed the ignorant and get a desired result. In other words, advertising or disinformation

A friend of mine wanted me to explain some of this. I asked this person to rate their FB time/usage based on what they saw others FB time/usage.
They ran the "scan" and the information load from this self rated "small" user resulted in 507MB of information on file.
507MB of information is best explained as-

A typical typed page without any images contains about two kilobytes, or 1,024 bytes of information. A megabyte, therefore, can support about 500 typed pages.

Holy server farm Batman!

This person has been on FB since 2008.

If you think "they" don't already have that information about you, I believe you are naive.

I think there is a good chance "they" paid FB for it :)

OM

A friend of mine wanted me to explain some of this. I asked this person to rate their FB time/usage based on what they saw others FB time/usage.
They ran the "scan" and the information load from this self rated "small" user resulted in 507MB of information on file.
507MB of information is best explained as-

Holy server farm Batman!

This person has been on FB since 2008.

I think there is a good chance "they" paid FB for it :)

OM

Cambridge Analytica has lots of customers

Exactly why I cancelled my Facebook account 2 years ago. I was an early adopter of Facebook having started the account in late 2006, but just decided I didn't want my personal information so exposed to an organization that clearly felt no obligation to protect it. As I've watched Facebook in the news the last couple of years, I've had zero regrets about my decision.

Well, from that list most is internet stuff like IP address and such. The enduring stuff like hometown and the fact I use English doesn't seem like too mysterious to me. I am not on Facebook, but if I were that "scary" stuff would not deter me one bit. From the time I was about six years old anybody who cared could find out where I lived and that the phone number to tell my mom about my latest stunt was 55667.

I am far more afraid of what information the government and medical establishment have. Ever notice that the "secret code verification" for anything medical is your birth date. Doctor, insurance, hospital, pharmacy, clinic - all ask you to verify you are who you claim to be using your birth date. And then financial - insurance, employer, lender, title company, anybody who will give you an IRS 1099 Form, etc all require your social security number.

Not to mention Experian and the banks and Google.

And don't forget that any employer you ever worked for who withheld Social Security or other taxes, and any book keeper or accountant who worked for that employer, has or could have your social security number.

So if Facebook has some things I "liked", it doesn't bother me a bit. I am positive YMMV.

FaceBook and some other tech corporations have the ability to filter information and shape public opinion in a manner and to a scope never seen before. The decisions on what information is presented and to whom are made by corporate officers based on their own political and social biases. For our young, they wield influence on a par with (if not greater than) our schools, churches and family. Some people are unconcerned about the impact Facebook and their ilk are having on our young, because they tend to agree with the bias Facebook displays, but they should be deeply concerned. The next big thing may become even more influential and it may be controlled by people who have beliefs that are much different.

To Kevin's point, Facebook has so much information on people now, they are able to serve up advertising messages specifically tailored to the response they want from the individual. In mh opinion, it's not just information, but rather an underhanded way to manipulate individuals opinion. This includes false/inflammatory messaging that can potentially have a great influence on our elections (possibly already did) and other elections around the world. When you factor in all the false messaging, it truly is a scary proposition for democracy.

To be clear, my reasoning for cancelling my account wasn't just related to personal information. I tired of the constant flow of advertising and political related messaging that, for me, gave no value to the platform. The 10% of value I was receiving wasn't worth putting up with the 90% of garbage. I do still have an Instagram (also owned by Facebook) account so I can keep track of family pictures and activities. However, I'm VERY selective about who I follow (and who follows me) and will not allow the account to swell to the 700+ "friends" I had with Facebook. Time will tell on Instagram...I'm beginning to tire of the advertising on that site as well.

FaceBook and some other tech corporations have the ability to filter information and shape public opinion in a manner and to a scope never seen before. The decisions on what information is presented and to whom are made by corporate officers based on their own political and social biases. For our young, they wield influence on a par with (if not greater than) our schools, churches and family. Some people are unconcerned about the impact Facebook and their ilk are having on our young, because they tend to agree with the bias Facebook displays, but they should be deeply concerned. The next big thing may become even more influential and it may be controlled by people who have beliefs that are much different.

Kevin,

It's actually the older folks that truly scare me. Kids know they're being lied too. The retirees think they're getting the inside info from the real movers and shakers. I recently had the head of a public authority tell me that no cyber attack had ever taken place against a US utility. When I provided the DHS reports which track cyber attacks and evaluate our system weaknesses for the past several years (they go back to 2006), he completely dismissed the info and proceeded with a plan for a web based control/monitoring system. Talk about putting it all out there.......

It's very interesting that they collect so much information but FB is just new media. The fact that they collect and sell data should not surprise anyone, the internet is a virtual world no different than the street corner in your hometown and FB has set themselves up to watch you come and go in this virtual world and record your wonderings and sell the info to those who are interested, not unlike what any individual could do in the real world. Anonymity is part of the reason things have become so caustic in this virtual world, many things typed in private would not be said in face to face conversation for fear of a bloody nose I for one am to simple to use FB, I could never understand it or figure out how it could work for me, so I never signed up, don't think I ever will now, should this forum or other forums go by the way, so will I.

As far as bias and manipulating public opinion there has ALWAYS been bias in our media be it newspapers, books, or social commentary, it is part of the human condition. In years past it was for sale on in any street corner news stand but now with new media it can flash before your eyes as soon as someone dreams it up. The thought that people are just now being manipulated with false stories is just not accurate and shows just how little we remember or maybe never learned about our own history. Centuries past newspapers were even more venomous than they are now, and drawn along party lines bought and paid for just like today. Democracy's greatest strength lies in the individual and his/her ability to discern truth for themselves, Benjamin Franklin argued this at the constitutional convention when many of the other delegates were arguing that the masses were too uneducated and unsophisticated in thought to be able to discern fact from fiction and on this basis be denied the right to vote for higher office officials. We are all in this great experiment together and can separate out the baloney from truth. I believe the greatest threat to democracy is as Charles Dickens wrote in his story a Christmas Carol, when the ghost of Christmas present pulled back his robes to expose the two children hidden underneath, “They are Man's and they cling to me, appealing from their fathers. This boy is Ignorance and this girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased.”

It's very interesting that they collect so much information but FB is just new media. The fact that they collect and sell data should not surprise anyone, the internet is a virtual world no different than the street corner in your hometown and FB has set themselves up to watch you come and go in this virtual world and record your wonderings and sell the info to those who are interested, not unlike what any individual could do in the real world. Anonymity is part of the reason things have become so caustic in this virtual world, many things typed in private would not be said in face to face conversation for fear of a bloody nose I for one am to simple to use FB, I could never understand it or figure out how it could work for me, so I never signed up, don't think I ever will now, should this forum or other forums go by the way, so will I.

As far as bias and manipulating public opinion there has ALWAYS been bias in our media be it newspapers, books, or social commentary, it is part of the human condition. In years past it was for sale on in any street corner news stand but now with new media it can flash before your eyes as soon as someone dreams it up. The thought that people are just now being manipulated with false stories is just not accurate and shows just how little we remember or maybe never learned about our own history. Centuries past newspapers were even more venomous than they are now, and drawn along party lines bought and paid for just like today. Democracy's greatest strength lies in the individual and his/her ability to discern truth for themselves, Benjamin Franklin argued this at the constitutional convention when many of the other delegates were arguing that the masses were too uneducated and unsophisticated in thought to be able to discern fact from fiction and on this basis be denied the right to vote for higher office officials. We are all in this great experiment together and can separate out the baloney from truth. I believe the greatest threat to democracy is as Charles Dickens wrote in his story a Christmas Carol, when the ghost of Christmas present pulled back his robes to expose the two children hidden underneath, “They are Man's and they cling to me, appealing from their fathers. This boy is Ignorance and this girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased.”

One should note, Ben Franklin's opinions where not incorporated into the US Constitution.

Voting rights were (and still are) determined by the states. Following the adoption of the constitution, white, male property owners were typically afforded the rights of voting. According to some estimates, that was 6% of the male population. The 14 and 15th amendments extended citizenship & voting to all men, but those laws were circumvented in many areas by poll taxes, literacy and residency tests for nearly a century. In a 1898 Supreme Court decision, any person born in the USA was determined to be a citizen. In 1920, women were given the federal right to vote. In 1924, American Indians were granted citizenship. In 1943, the Chinese exclusion laws were ended.

Finally, in 1965, we passed a federal law that said........

"SEC. 2. No voting qualification or prerequisite to voting, or standard, practice, or procedure shall be imposed or applied by any State or political subdivision to deny or abridge the right of any citizen of the United States to vote on account of race or color."

That was nearly two centuries after Franklin expressed his sentiments.

Democracy does not insure an idyllic utopia and can be a fragile thing as evidenced by Pre WW-II Germany, Italy and Spain. Once you invite outside interests to meddle in your affairs, you're more than compromised

I agree with your comment that manipulating public opinion is nothing new. However, it's quite a different approach when you talk about broad media such as newspapers or books versus messages that have been specifically tailored to your own personal biases or weaknesses. The logarithms of Facebook have dissected your personal Ignorance and Want to a degree that not even you are aware of and social media has provided the means to deliver personal messages efficiently and directly. This is dramatically more effective in forming individual opinions than the mass media of the past.

The logarithms of Facebook have dissected your personal Ignorance and Want to a degree that not even you are aware of and social media has provided the means to deliver personal messages efficiently and directly. This is dramatically more effective in forming individual opinions than the mass media of the past.

This can be true, but it can also be false if a person understands and realizes that propaganda is being directed, and approaches information with critical thinking and their own solid values. Yes people can be manipulated, but it is not inevitable. For those whom it is effective, I'm sorry.

Back