Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Everything Facebook knows about you

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Everything Facebook knows about you

For those interested.......FB isn't "free" as you entrance/use fee is your information

How to download a copy of everything Facebook knows about you

From CNBC-

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/23/how-...about-you.html

What facebook knows-

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

No Facebook account = no worries.
    1973 R75/5

If you think "they" don't already have that information about you, I believe you are naive.

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

There's a similar listing for Twitter on the CNBC website.

So, any nefarious agent or organization could know just about anything by tracking an oblivious user of these accounts, tailoring BS to feed the ignorant and get a desired result. In other words, advertising or disinformation
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    A friend of mine wanted me to explain some of this. I asked this person to rate their FB time/usage based on what they saw others FB time/usage.
    They ran the "scan" and the information load from this self rated "small" user resulted in 507MB of information on file.
    507MB of information is best explained as-

A typical typed page without any images contains about two kilobytes, or 1,024 bytes of information. A megabyte, therefore, can support about 500 typed pages.
    Holy server farm Batman!

This person has been on FB since 2008.

If you think "they" don't already have that information about you, I believe you are naive.
    I think there is a good chance "they" paid FB for it

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    A friend of mine wanted me to explain some of this. I asked this person to rate their FB time/usage based on what they saw others FB time/usage.
    They ran the "scan" and the information load from this self rated "small" user resulted in 507MB of information on file.
    507MB of information is best explained as-

Holy server farm Batman!

This person has been on FB since 2008.

I think there is a good chance "they" paid FB for it

OM
    Cambridge Analytica has lots of customers
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

FaceBook and some other tech corporations have the ability to filter information and shape public opinion in a manner and to a scope never seen before. The decisions on what information is presented and to whom are made by corporate officers based on their own political and social biases. For our young, they wield influence on a par with (if not greater than) our schools, churches and family. Some people are unconcerned about the impact Facebook and their ilk are having on our young, because they tend to agree with the bias Facebook displays, but they should be deeply concerned. The next big thing may become even more influential and it may be controlled by people who have beliefs that are much different.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

I like kitties.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

To Kevin's point, Facebook has so much information on people now, they are able to serve up advertising messages specifically tailored to the response they want from the individual. In mh opinion, it's not just information, but rather an underhanded way to manipulate individuals opinion. This includes false/inflammatory messaging that can potentially have a great influence on our elections (possibly already did) and other elections around the world. When you factor in all the false messaging, it truly is a scary proposition for democracy.

To be clear, my reasoning for cancelling my account wasn't just related to personal information. I tired of the constant flow of advertising and political related messaging that, for me, gave no value to the platform. The 10% of value I was receiving wasn't worth putting up with the 90% of garbage. I do still have an Instagram (also owned by Facebook) account so I can keep track of family pictures and activities. However, I'm VERY selective about who I follow (and who follows me) and will not allow the account to swell to the 700+ "friends" I had with Facebook. Time will tell on Instagram...I'm beginning to tire of the advertising on that site as well.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

I got your meme for ya right here!

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post

I still like kitties even if you think that is dumb. Oh, and "be afraid, very afraid." It vastly improves the quality of your life.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I still like kitties even if you think that is dumb.
    I notice you don't post much there....

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post

So very true!
    Reason I quit 2 years ago too..
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    FaceBook and some other tech corporations have the ability to filter information and shape public opinion in a manner and to a scope never seen before. The decisions on what information is presented and to whom are made by corporate officers based on their own political and social biases. For our young, they wield influence on a par with (if not greater than) our schools, churches and family. Some people are unconcerned about the impact Facebook and their ilk are having on our young, because they tend to agree with the bias Facebook displays, but they should be deeply concerned. The next big thing may become even more influential and it may be controlled by people who have beliefs that are much different.
    Kevin,

It's actually the older folks that truly scare me. Kids know they're being lied too. The retirees think they're getting the inside info from the real movers and shakers. I recently had the head of a public authority tell me that no cyber attack had ever taken place against a US utility. When I provided the DHS reports which track cyber attacks and evaluate our system weaknesses for the past several years (they go back to 2006), he completely dismissed the info and proceeded with a plan for a web based control/monitoring system. Talk about putting it all out there.......

It's very interesting that they collect so much information but FB is just new media. The fact that they collect and sell data should not surprise anyone, the internet is a virtual world no different than the street corner in your hometown and FB has set themselves up to watch you come and go in this virtual world and record your wonderings and sell the info to those who are interested, not unlike what any individual could do in the real world. Anonymity is part of the reason things have become so caustic in this virtual world, many things typed in private would not be said in face to face conversation for fear of a bloody nose I for one am to simple to use FB, I could never understand it or figure out how it could work for me, so I never signed up, don't think I ever will now, should this forum or other forums go by the way, so will I.

As far as bias and manipulating public opinion there has ALWAYS been bias in our media be it newspapers, books, or social commentary, it is part of the human condition. In years past it was for sale on in any street corner news stand but now with new media it can flash before your eyes as soon as someone dreams it up. The thought that people are just now being manipulated with false stories is just not accurate and shows just how little we remember or maybe never learned about our own history. Centuries past newspapers were even more venomous than they are now, and drawn along party lines bought and paid for just like today. Democracy's greatest strength lies in the individual and his/her ability to discern truth for themselves, Benjamin Franklin argued this at the constitutional convention when many of the other delegates were arguing that the masses were too uneducated and unsophisticated in thought to be able to discern fact from fiction and on this basis be denied the right to vote for higher office officials. We are all in this great experiment together and can separate out the baloney from truth. I believe the greatest threat to democracy is as Charles Dickens wrote in his story a Christmas Carol, when the ghost of Christmas present pulled back his robes to expose the two children hidden underneath, “They are Man's and they cling to me, appealing from their fathers. This boy is Ignorance and this girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased.”
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key