• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F700 vis F750

Let me help by putting things in a useable format...

F700GS - 32 Stone
F800 GS - 32 Stone
F800 GSA - 36 Stone
F750 GS - 35 Stone
F850 GS - 36 Stone
F850 GSA - 38 Stone
R 1150 R - 37 Stone
R1250 GS - 39 Stone
R1250 GSA - 42 Stone

There you go. :thumb

I had an F800GT but have ridden a 700 and both the new ones several times.The engine character on the new twins is vastly improved over the 700/800. Much more lively, quick to rev, better sound, etc. The difference between old and new feels like a lot more than 5 hp, whether you're comparing the 700/750 or 800/850. The new F750GS is a really nice bike. Almost bought one myself.

BMW claims 77 hp for the F750 vs. 75 hp for the F700. Given the substantially increased avoirdupois of the 750, there is likely no meaningful difference in the engine performance between the two — not that it really matters anyway. With its 270 degree firing interval, the 750 does “feel” different, but I personally prefer the 700 in that respect. And although it might not matter to most here, I want my European motorcycle to be powered by a European engine. YMMV.

Finally what this comes down to if you don't want or need Dyamic ESA, TFT, GPS or the Wonder Wheel then you get a 3 stone lighter machine. That is 42 to 45 pounds for us, Americans. Okay?

I can't offer any direct experience with the 700 vs 750, but if the difference is as remarkable as that between the 800 and 850, then the 750 is the better machine by far.

All the talk about total weight and center of gravity are not really catching the truth of the difference. I went from an 09 F800GS with a Camel tank, luggage and a bunch of other add-ons which made it pretty much as heavy as my new F850GSA. The fuel tank being under the seat seems like it should make the bikes mass lower and therefore handle better. The reality is though it tended to make the bike tail heavy, even more so with a full luggage pack. The result was a perpetually light feeling front end that had a tendency to feel a bit loose at times. The 850 is so much more steady at highway speeds and seems more stable in rougher terrain too. Numbers alone don't tell the full story.

I own both an F700GS and an F750GS. Here is what I find -

In December I bought a new 20199 F750GS with both upgrade packages to replace my 2016 F700GS (Lowered). I bought it for two primary reasons. First, I really need the cruise control because at my age the hands aren't what they used to be. The Atlas throttle lock on the 700 was good, but it ain't cruise control. The second reason was to decrease the buzz in the handlebars a bit when running 70+ MPH on the highways. Highways, you know, those things between twisties in one mountain range and the twisties in the next mountain range. Here is what I have found in my first 3300 miles. FYI, I bought the 700 at the end of 2017 and rode it 15,000 miles over a couple of years.

The cruise control and electronics package is amazing, but getting everything synced between panel/Nav/Phone/Sena is a bit touchy. I bought a +Mesh adapter for the Sena and have not figured out how to get it to work with everything else. Not enough bluetooth channels. Maybe I'll buy a new Sena 50 and hope it works.

The bike is comfortable but contrary to the prior comments, it feels WAY heavier and more top heavy than the F700GS. I had a comfort seat on the lowered 700 and a standard seat on the 750, which gives an overall seat height within 1/2 inch, so it is not a leg length problem. If you add the extra 50 pounds for the basic bike, then add the difference between the heavy BMW plastic hard bags vs the lighter Touratech Zega Panniers, then move the fuel up about 8 inches higher, you really feel it. Much more difficult to push around, and you can feel the difference when stopping. Once underway, even in very low speed maneuvers, the feel is different, but easily controlled with each bike. Running figure 8's on a narrow space is easy with either if you are properly trained in technique. but there is a difference relating to the engine, that I will discuss next.

The new engine may have an extra horse or two but torque below 2000 RPM feels weak compared with the 700. That may be caused by the change in firing sequence. Don't try to let out the clutch and run at idle speed or slightly above. It will surge and buck below about 12 mph. This is where the difference on slow speed maneuvers comes into play. On the 700 you can hold about 1600 rpm and slip the clutch a little to do Cop style maneuvers. Not so on the 750. Have to run higher RPM with more clutch slip. Off the line also seems to suffer in the new engine. A smooth gentle takeoff without unduly revving the engine is really tough, and takes more slip in the friction zone than on the 700. Once above about 2500 rpm, the new engine is very good, and as expected, vibration is noticeably lower at above 4000 rpm. The sound of the 750 is pretty good, but at cold start after a few days idle, the engine sounds like all the oil has drained down and it rattles a few seconds.

The front to back balance issue mentioned above by others may, I feel, be a valid improvement.The fact that my 700 was lowered may come into play so I'm not certain my observations are valid. The load limit being dropped from 500 to 325 pounds with the lowering kit may come into play here. I will say that when the 700 is heavily loaded, both bags and the top case, it was a little tail heavy and required careful adjustment of the rear spring/shock and proper inflation of the rear tire to keep handling up to par. That said, I rode a fully loaded 700 through the Pyrenees mountains, which was like doing the Tail of the Dragon back to back, ten times per day, for ten days, without feeling it was deficient in handling. We rode briskly but the locals who knew the roads were passing us.

So, is the 750 better than the 700? In general I would have to say no. It did satisfy my two primary goals of upgrading, but I'm not that impressed by the new packaging. The 700 is for sale, but I'm a bit reluctant to give it up yet.

In December I bought a new 20199 F750GS with both upgrade packages to replace my 2016 F700GS (Lowered). I bought it for two primary reasons. First, I really need the cruise control because at my age the hands aren't what they used to be. The Atlas throttle lock on the 700 was good, but it ain't cruise control. The second reason was to decrease the buzz in the handlebars a bit when running 70+ MPH on the highways. Highways, you know, those things between twisties in one mountain range and the twisties in the next mountain range. Here is what I have found in my first 3300 miles. FYI, I bought the 700 at the end of 2017 and rode it 15,000 miles over a couple of years.

The cruise control and electronics package is amazing, but getting everything synced between panel/Nav/Phone/Sena is a bit touchy. I bought a +Mesh adapter for the Sena and have not figured out how to get it to work with everything else. Not enough bluetooth channels. Maybe I'll buy a new Sena 50 and hope it works.

The bike is comfortable but contrary to the prior comments, it feels WAY heavier and more top heavy than the F700GS. I had a comfort seat on the lowered 700 and a standard seat on the 750, which gives an overall seat height within 1/2 inch, so it is not a leg length problem. If you add the extra 50 pounds for the basic bike, then add the difference between the heavy BMW plastic hard bags vs the lighter Touratech Zega Panniers, then move the fuel up about 8 inches higher, you really feel it. Much more difficult to push around, and you can feel the difference when stopping. Once underway, even in very low speed maneuvers, the feel is different, but easily controlled with each bike. Running figure 8's on a narrow space is easy with either if you are properly trained in technique. but there is a difference relating to the engine, that I will discuss next.

The new engine may have an extra horse or two but torque below 2000 RPM feels weak compared with the 700. That may be caused by the change in firing sequence. Don't try to let out the clutch and run at idle speed or slightly above. It will surge and buck below about 12 mph. This is where the difference on slow speed maneuvers comes into play. On the 700 you can hold about 1600 rpm and slip the clutch a little to do Cop style maneuvers. Not so on the 750. Have to run higher RPM with more clutch slip. Off the line also seems to suffer in the new engine. A smooth gentle takeoff without unduly revving the engine is really tough, and takes more slip in the friction zone than on the 700. Once above about 2500 rpm, the new engine is very good, and as expected, vibration is noticeably lower at above 4000 rpm. The sound of the 750 is pretty good, but at cold start after a few days idle, the engine sounds like all the oil has drained down and it rattles a few seconds.

The front to back balance issue mentioned above by others may, I feel, be a valid improvement.The fact that my 700 was lowered may come into play so I'm not certain my observations are valid. The load limit being dropped from 500 to 325 pounds with the lowering kit may come into play here. I will say that when the 700 is heavily loaded, both bags and the top case, it was a little tail heavy and required careful adjustment of the rear spring/shock and proper inflation of the rear tire to keep handling up to par. That said, I rode a fully loaded 700 through the Pyrenees mountains, which was like doing the Tail of the Dragon back to back, ten times per day, for ten days, without feeling it was deficient in handling. We rode briskly but the locals who knew the roads were passing us.

So, is the 750 better than the 700? In general I would have to say no. It did satisfy my two primary goals of upgrading, but I'm not that impressed by the new packaging. The 700 is for sale, but I'm a bit reluctant to give it up yet.

Great comparison. Thanks for taking time to write down your thoughts.

Where is your fore sale F700GS located? Do you have an ad?

Try to remember the the “selling” of things no longer wanted needs to be done off the forum as ads will linger forever. The Private Message system works well for this.
Thanks.
The Mod Team.

The weakness below 2000 RPM was a killer for me. It really took the joy out of riding the bike. 2 things take care of that issue. (1.) Get rid of that awful Euro4 box and replace it with a remus or dominator mid pipe. That makes a big difference. (2.) Replace the stock air filter with a K&N filter. Once I did both of those things the bike now feels the way it should have from the factory. Taking off in first is just like any other bike you've ridden. Doing those two things does change the sound of both the intake and exhaust. The bike is louder. I don't think it is obnoxiously so, but others may think otherwise.

Good compare/contrast review from somebody who has actually owned both.

Back