Thread: Oops, I did it again!

Oops, I did it again!

Well I traded my 2016 RT in yesterday for a 2019 carbon black metallic RT1250RT, it was such a good deal I just couldnít pass it up!!! Lol. Really looking forward to riding this black beauty! Iíve got a question, this came with the bmw 49 liter top case with central locking. On my 16 I purchased the top case unwired and I install Skene lights with a hex ezcan controller, but it looks like on my 19 RT with central locking you can only us BMWís light bar! Is this true? If so has anyone connected a hex ezcan up to the BMW light bar to use the ezcanís functionality? If so how is it done? Lotís of question.

When I bought my 19 RT the top case was also part of the deal with central locking and the light bar was also included on the case itself. If your top case was included as part of the BMW promotion you need to call the dealer. The offer form for that deal specifically called out the light bar.

Now with that said - I saw a video I think on Twisted Throttle that talked about the hexcan and their own product and it working with the CANBUS. Looked like you could plug in any light and make it act like a rear brake light on either product.

Congrats on the new ride. I have been fortunate to take a few short rides but already I can tell that this was a good call.
    Brad Gross
    Returning Motorcyclist
    2004 1150GS Adventure, 2019 R1250RT

Thanks Brad, it was part of the deal. But I kinda wanted to put my old Skene lights on. There programmable and so much brighter.

Louie

Totally get it.. Still think your additional canbus controller can do what you want.
    Brad Gross
    Returning Motorcyclist
    2004 1150GS Adventure, 2019 R1250RT

Quote Originally Posted by SDRT View Post
    Well I traded my 2016 RT in yesterday for a 2019 carbon black metallic RT1250RT, it was such a good deal I just couldnít pass it up!!! Lol. Really looking forward to riding this black beauty! Iíve got a question, this came with the bmw 49 liter top case with central locking. On my 16 I purchased the top case unwired and I install Skene lights with a hex ezcan controller, but it looks like on my 19 RT with central locking you can only us BMWís light bar! Is this true? If so has anyone connected a hex ezcan up to the BMW light bar to use the ezcanís functionality? If so how is it done? Lotís of question.
    In the round plug under the rear seat is the top case brake wire. Just snip the brake lead, add you Skene lights and the light bar on the brake channel of the Hex ezCAN and no muss no fuss. It has been discussed on other forums and I have done it myself on my 15 RT to use a Givi top case and brake turn signals in that case and a license plate brake light.

It is very doable and not too hard to do.

I have used the Hex ezCAN since it was developed and love it. I am on my third model of Hex ezCAN and they keep making it better and better.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Thanks for the info Lee!