• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

No offense, but I feel like a girl

I don't believe either a K75S or a K1200/1300 have any problems passing cars in quick order.

What may be more relavant to the OP is how do the given bikes handle the type of riding he would be doing, or intends to do, for the majority of his riding.

Will he be doing much slow in town riding? Commuting? Stop and go traffic?

Will he be seeking out two lane canyon twisties? The more flickable bike might be preferred.

Will he be doing a majority long straight superslab ? The more high speed stable bike might be the ticket.

As in anything, there are "horses for courses". Maybe knowing more about his intended riding will help steer his choice.

:dance:dance:dance

Update

Thanks for all of your help and support. I found and bought a 1987 K750S original black with silver engine and red BMW bags and GET THIS 5100 miles. The only thing wrong with it is a cracked taillight from moving it around the garage. The OP has several bikes and has not used this one. 1987 K75S black.jpg 2.jpg

Thanks, I really liked the Columbia Silver (it was unique) but I had not seen too many of the black version either so I am happy.
The silver would have been a little more visible at night, but I will be updating to LED lights to help.

Couldn't have done it without all your help.

can't wait!

I found and bought a 1987 K750S original black with silver engine and red BMW bags and GET THIS 5100 miles. The only thing wrong with it is a cracked taillight from moving it around the garage. The OP has several bikes and has not used this one.

I'm sure you know better, but now that you've decided on the smaller & older variety, with very few miles (showing on the odo), I'd have it inspected by someone with more skills than mine. Just make sure that cracked old rubber & plastic bits are up to performing reliably. Guess you'll have some spare time over the winter up there in the Great White North...
:beer

Hope your new steed gives you many happy sMiles.
Cheers! HSV-Phil. :thumb

I'm sure you know better, but now that you've decided on the smaller & older variety, with very few miles (showing on the odo), I'd have it inspected by someone with more skills than mine. Just make sure that cracked old rubber & plastic bits are up to performing reliably. Guess you'll have some spare time over the winter up there in the Great White North...
:beer

Hope your new steed gives you many happy sMiles.
Cheers! HSV-Phil. :thumb

We have or have had ten classic K bikes - K75, K100, and K1100. I have yet to encounter any unusual old rubber and plastic bits that have been a problem. Sure, I have replaced some fuel pump mounts dissolved in ethanol contaminated fuel. And I have replaced brake lines and fuel lines after ten or so years. But this is just routine maintenance on any vehicle.

response

I do plan on having someone smarter then I look at it, but the original purchaser didn't ride it much so mostly stored it. He sold it back to the original dealer he bought it from who put new tires on (just aged) and changed all the fluids, tuned it and sold it to the guy I bought it from. The guy I bought it from rode it for a couple months and it would not start. he went to the dealer and the dealer gave him a new battery. I ran great after that. He put it into storage for this winter. When he went to his locker and accidently knocked it over he decided to sell it. He has a Harley that he is attached to and a bigger investment in. So......... the 5800 miles are believable. The main thing is the splines. The guy said he asked the dealer about it and was told "with these miles, don't even worry about it".

So......... the 5800 miles are believable. The main thing is the splines. The guy said he asked the dealer about it and was told "with these miles, don't even worry about it".

That is a reasonable thing to say about wear that may have happened already. But it fails to address the possible deterioration and drying of the spline lubricant. Given the age I would lubricate the clutch splines or have it done. More importantly on that model I would absolutely clean and lubricate the driveshaft rear splines, and then continue to do so every rear tire change.

Back