Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: No offense, but I feel like a girl

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I disagree. .
    I guess the way I would explain it is we had more passing opportunities on the K1300S compared to the K75S or even the R12000RS.
    The K1200S, K1300S requires less room to safely pass.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I guess the way I would explain it is we had more passing opportunities on the K1300S compared to the K75S or even the R12000RS.
    The K1200S, K1300S requires less room to safely pass.
    As I said, nice but not necessary. The prior post implied K75s were ssomehow difficult or even dangerous to pass with and I simply don't buy that.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I disagree. To pass with a K75 simply requires shifting down. Often into 4th and sometimes into 3rd. The motorcycle will hit triple digits in 3rd and will do so quickly. If that isn't sufficient to pass, then a rider needs to check both his or her depth perception and judgement. I have survived 485,157 miles on K75s. This mania for more faster power and speed is simply not necessary. Nice sometimes, but not necessary.
    yep. K75S, while not in the same power league as a K12/13, still has better acceleration that 99% of the cars on the road. kick down a gear, twist the wrist and enjoy the big grin! zero issues passing. K13...doesn't matter what gear, twist the wrist and holy crap! hang on! as was said, plan your brake point...

also agree, big power on the street just isn't needed. in street use the K13 rarely clears 7k rpm (out of 11k). heck, you could reach highway arrest speeds in first gear. on the track however...yeeeeeha!
    Last edited by mlytle; 11-05-2019 at 11:50 PM.
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 96 K1100RS (caretaker), 09 K1300s

3 Red Bricks
    Another thing to consider; who is going to do your maintenance.

If you do it youself, the K75S is easier and cheaper to work on.

If you pay to have it done, the K75S is easier (which usually translates to cheaper) to work on (if you can find someone who knows anything about them and is willing to work on them). Alot of dealers don't like working on older bikes. Their business model is to sell you a new one.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Alot of dealers don't like working on older bikes. Their business model is to sell you a new one.
    Minor Hijack: Apologies.

Is this why one BMW dealership head mechanic told me to ditch the '87 K100RT at 139,000 km as it was just too old to maintain? Get a new bike was his response. I have doubled the mileage on that bike.

First time since then that I asked him this summer to look at my '98 R1100RT when I was having trouble doing a TBS (with the 1200 injectors). When he asked the mileage he replied that with 232,000 on the odometer, the engine was toast and to get a new bike. Two thousand kms and the 1100 is running fine now.

There is a reason why I do the basic service on these two machines, usually for about a fifth less than what the dealerships used to charge me.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Minor Hijack: Apologies.

Is this why one BMW dealership head mechanic told me to ditch the '87 K100RT at 139,000 km as it was just too old to maintain? Get a new bike was his response. I have doubled the mileage on that bike.

First time since then that I asked him this summer to look at my '98 R1100RT when I was having trouble doing a TBS (with the 1200 injectors). When he asked the mileage he replied that with 232,000 on the odometer, the engine was toast and to get a new bike. Two thousand kms and the 1100 is running fine now.

There is a reason why I do the basic service on these two machines, usually for about a fifth less than what the dealerships used to charge me.
    I would use another dealership, or at least another tech for advice because this guy simply doesn't know what he is talking about or he is lying to you on purpose. I suspect the latter.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

RK Ryder
    I would use another dealership, or at least another tech for advice because this guy simply doesn't know what he is talking about or he is lying to you on purpose. I suspect the latter.
    Paul, I agree with your first and final assessment.

The last time that I had him work on a bike by his crew was in 2006, when he misdiagnosed my K's problem. He was right, my K would have been a money pit if I had continued to return to him. My only dealings with him since have been for his winter workshops for owners servicing their own bikes. (I believe the reason for the workshops has been to frighten folks from doing their own work.)

Mistakenly thought that a look at my TBS problem would be an easy fix, but I guess not if the engine was toast.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

I bought a 1993 K75RT with 89K miles but extremely well maintained for $1100 (admittedly an unusually great deal) -- I rode it home 250 miles from the seller in Connecticut, put $700 into it for service (long-term stuff, still a great deal), and then a few weeks later, rode it from New Jersey to Ontario, Canada and back. After 40+ years of riding, it has been the best highway bike I've ever had. I really enjoyed that trip. I love the bike.

I'll be 57 later this month. I am extremely active. But...I am very definitely losing interest in wrestling bigger bikes. Two weeks ago, I bought a 2018 G310R at a BMW dealer near Minneapolis -- it had 0.9 miles on the odometer -- I rode it home (the odometer has 1,350 now) and, despite cold (in MN and WI) and rain (yesterday in the northeast), it was the most fun I've had on a motorcycle in years. That bike is great and it didn't even notice the stuff I strapped on to it.

If you need a big bike, get a big bike. But as a fellow aging person, I can say that I'm pretty happy with both the 750cc K75 and the 313cc G310R. For me, bigger certainly isn't better. And my Harley Sportster 1200 Roadster is going up for sale.

Good luck! There are a lot of great bikes out there. My advice is to get what you want and not what people say you need.
    Last edited by kaynjbmw; 11-02-2019 at 01:56 AM.

I'm about your size, just a little taller. I had a 1990 K75s (non-ABS) and regret each day selling it. One modification I had done (by a good wrench) was to install K75c bars to the K75s bike. It sat me just a little more upright and gave me the exact position I had been searching for. That engine had the sweetest feel at around 80 in top gear. Almost like an electric engine, so smooth and clean.

I disagree. To pass with a K75 simply requires shifting down. Often into 4th and sometimes into 3rd. The motorcycle will hit triple digits in 3rd and will do so quickly. If that isn't sufficient to pass, then a rider needs to check both his or her depth perception and judgement. I have survived 485,157 miles on K75s. This mania for more faster power and speed is simply not necessary. Nice sometimes, but not necessary.
    Having owned both all I can say is , there is NO comparison between the passing capabilities of the K75s and K1200/1300S. None, nada, zip. Not even close. Mania? Let's just say horsepower to me is like money to Warren Buffett. If the RR fit ......
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

Sometimes my R65 LS takes a little planning to pass.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

The prior post implied K75s were somehow difficult or even dangerous to pass with and I simply don't buy that.
    I didn't see any posts that said that.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

3 Red Bricks
    I don't believe either a K75S or a K1200/1300 have any problems passing cars in quick order.

What may be more relavant to the OP is how do the given bikes handle the type of riding he would be doing, or intends to do, for the majority of his riding.

Will he be doing much slow in town riding? Commuting? Stop and go traffic?

Will he be seeking out two lane canyon twisties? The more flickable bike might be preferred.

Will he be doing a majority long straight superslab ? The more high speed stable bike might be the ticket.

As in anything, there are "horses for courses". Maybe knowing more about his intended riding will help steer his choice.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Update

Thanks for all of your help and support. I found and bought a 1987 K750S original black with silver engine and red BMW bags and GET THIS 5100 miles. The only thing wrong with it is a cracked taillight from moving it around the garage. The OP has several bikes and has not used this one. 1987 K75S black.jpg 2.jpg

Congrats! The black version was (is) beautiful !!
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"