Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: No offense, but I feel like a girl

I have had both bikes, keep in mind also that the k75s is a brick and the k12 is transverse. I always thought the older k75’s were “heavy” feeling. The ‘05 would have a slightly longer wheelbase and the angle of the engine helps the center of gravity, even though it’s a heavier bike than the 75s. And well.....the power difference is .....well....mind blowing! A 12S with a little bit of setup can be a great touring bike as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Brian Hinton
    2007 R1200R
    2007 K1200GT
    2016 R1200GS

All excellent points

I think it is "a horse apiece" and the decision will probably come down to the availability of the right bike. There are a bunch of great examples of both for sale in the Milwaukee area. The roads are icy today so that means a decision could be delayed a bit. I am afraid if I bought one on a nice day (which in Wisconsin can still come right up until Christmas) I would be dying a little thinking about that bike being in storage when it should be on the road. Again, I thank you all for your help.

cheers!

A K1200S is WAY faster than a K75... Just Sayin'
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

S1200S is way faster

I got to tell you, my interest in getting the fastest bike is no longer an issue. The K75S has a 134mph ability and that is more then enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by milwlandrover View Post
    The K75S has a 134mph ability and that is more then enough for me.
    Mine was closer to 125 indicated on the speedometer, so GPS speed is probably around 120.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Looks like you've picked out two winners. I'm 66, 6'2, 190; I've always been able to ride about anything. I think I'd start with the K75. One thing for me is I like to see some engine on my bikes. Good luck starting up a new riding career.

I got to tell you, my interest in getting the fastest bike is no longer an issue. The K75S has a 134mph ability and that is more then enough for me.
    Lol! 135? Maybe if dropped from a plane.......
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 96 K1100RS (caretaker), 09 K1300s

Nick Kennedy
    David Hough's books are indeed very good and readable and should be in every riders library, especially those who take the winter off.
    In the spring I re-read my riding library and my soaring library to re boot my brain.
    When I get on my bike and back in my plane, I often think of Voni doing a million miles accident free; that's my career goal; to be accident free.

One sMile at a time.

Voni
    sMiling still
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    Lol! 135? Maybe if dropped from a plane.......
    Laugh all you want but when new and in prime condition they will go 130. Mine did on a long straight flat stretch in Nevada in 1986 returning from Laguna Seca. It took a very long time to get from 120 to 130 though. The rate of acceleration would not have startled a snail. It did hit the rev limiter in 5th though.

I never tried it again and almost never rode it or anything else over 100.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I'm more interested in mid range power and passing speeds.
    The K1200/1300S make quick work of passing.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Does the bike "feel" heavy"? Would it be ok for an old guy like me driving the 20 minutes to work and back in sometimes heavier traffic or side streets as well as for distance riding?
    You've answered your own question, Mr Land Rover.
    If your goal is to ride around town on a commuter scooter and tour Wisconsin, then stick with the older technology. It will be a great re'starter' bike and serve you very well for your local activities.

But, now that you're reaching the age of 'more time on your hands' and if you actually want to enjoy the backroads of the Entire continent while hauling camping gear to suit your status in life, then Most Certainly go with Newer K-Bike Technology! It's a simple Choice.

Speaking for myself (and I'm your age), I have two BMWs, as does the Mrs. Two Airheads for fun local rides in warmer weather here in the southeast, and two 'newer' Used Beemers for more serious cross-country adventures. We've covered the Lower 48 now (been married 12 years). So, as previously planned in 2017 B4 suddenly moving to AL, we will ride to the "Dust to Dawson" (D2D) non-rally next summer, and leisurely tour Alaska whilst also riding the Iron Butt's National Parks Gold Medal Tour in 2020
    {did the Silver certificate in 2013}.
    https://dawsoncity.ca/event/d2d-moto...e-not-a-rally/
    http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/npt/

Food For Thought, and worth every penny you've paid {to the MOA of course}.
    Ciao, HSV-Phil + HSV-Karen

'75 R90S,
    '82 R100CS,
    '09 F650GS,
    '14 K16GT,
    '14 Time Out trailer

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Exactly.

While passing a line of cars I'd hate finding myself in the position of having to say, "Hmm, I wish I had more power right now" as an 18 wheeler makes a surprise appearance in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Since you and I have owned both and the OP is pondering .... The K75s requires planning for a safe place to pass. The K1200/1300S requires planning for a safe place to slow down after passing.
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

Quote Originally Posted by CABNFVR View Post
    Since you and I have owned both and the OP is pondering .... The K75s requires planning for a safe place to pass. The K1200/1300S requires planning for a safe place to slow down after passing.
    I disagree. To pass with a K75 simply requires shifting down. Often into 4th and sometimes into 3rd. The motorcycle will hit triple digits in 3rd and will do so quickly. If that isn't sufficient to pass, then a rider needs to check both his or her depth perception and judgement. I have survived 485,157 miles on K75s. This mania for more faster power and speed is simply not necessary. Nice sometimes, but not necessary.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/