• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What would you like to see at the 2020 Great Falls Rally?

We have a friend who has competed in the GS Giant events at the rallies and he represented the USA at the GS Challange competition in Chile a few years back. We went to Moab for the qualifying competition for the GS Challange team. Watching him and the other top riders is mesmerizing to me. Like any athlete in any sport the best riders are blessed with exceptional talent, desire, experience and the opportunity to ride. Very few of us can or will ever be able to ride like they do. We can all get better, but few can get to the level of the best of these guys and gals.

Tori welcome to MOA, like you I am relatively new to MOA, only a couple of years now, but I also have not attended the annual rally like many here. It seems that there are an abundance of idea many of which are submitted by long time attendees which is great.

I did see in this thread references to communicating through FB and maybe other social media venues. Personally I hate them all, but maybe a small app could be developed for those that have smart phones, I don't know what that maybe 95% plus of the folks attending. This could be used as the communication venue. My wife and I belong to a group called Xscapers which is a full time RV group that puts on events throughout the year and they build an app for each event, every time it is different. You look at the app Xscaper CG it has catatories like Home, Schedule, FAQ with Facts, Community events, introductions.

It is simple and updated hourly with new info, communication with members/attendees can be done, vendors could also have a way to communicate here as well. Shuttle services could be posted or ordered, etc. Then when the event is done uninstall and get rid of it.

It is created with glideapps.com

Just a thought

Tori welcome to MOA, like you I am relatively new to MOA, only a couple of years now, but I also have not attended the annual rally like many here. It seems that there are an abundance of idea many of which are submitted by long time attendees which is great.

I did see in this thread references to communicating through FB and maybe other social media venues. Personally I hate them all, but maybe a small app could be developed for those that have smart phones, I don't know what that maybe 95% plus of the folks attending. This could be used as the communication venue. My wife and I belong to a group called Xscapers which is a full time RV group that puts on events throughout the year and they build an app for each event, every time it is different. You look at the app Xscaper CG it has catatories like Home, Schedule, FAQ with Facts, Community events, introductions.

It is simple and updated hourly with new info, communication with members/attendees can be done, vendors could also have a way to communicate here as well. Shuttle services could be posted or ordered, etc. Then when the event is done uninstall and get rid of it.

It is created with glideapps.com

Just a thought

They had a app for the Des Moines National.
Seems like I saw a post that there would not be a app this year.
I don't think there was a app last year in Lebanon.

It would seem to me that GS Giants off-road riding skills demonstration stadiums are expensive to build and, as they say, money doesn't grow on trees. It is undoubtedly a delicate budgetary dance to provide interesting entertainment for rally attendees and still break even on a rally. Teach McNeil, music, shuttles, etc. all cost money. Toes get stepped on.....

It would seem to me that GS Giants off-road riding skills demonstration stadiums are expensive to build ...

Depends on what's available on-site. Sometimes there's a huge pile of dirt, a big arena and a tractor..... sometimes there is a parking lot.

I, too, have loved the GS Giants events in the past and was disappointed when the relationship fractured between them and the MOA. I have nothing but respect for how those men and women can handle a 500 lb. motorcycle in challenging conditions and feel a GS with off-road "patina" is absolutely gorgeous.

I, too, have loved the GS Giants events in the past and was disappointed when the relationship fractured between them and the MOA. I have nothing but respect for how those men and women can handle a 500 lb. motorcycle in challenging conditions and feel a GS with off-road "patina" is absolutely gorgeous.

They brought a lot of fun times and new people to our rally. :nod

It would seem to me that GS Giants off-road riding skills demonstration stadiums are expensive to build and, as they say, money doesn't grow on trees.............

Montana%20Expo%20Park-XL.png

Looks like plenty of room, we could hold a BMW Flat Track Race on the Oval while GS Giants use the infield and dirt drags on the front straightaway too.

As long as you know you want to take the class 3 months in advance and don't mind taking the last available spot which happens to be the 4am one...

Yes, they have training, not enough for the apparent demand, however.

I think you are confusing the Rider Education classes for existing riders with the GEARS program for kids. But, yes, there seems to never be enough classes for the demand. I think that speaks well of the desire of many BMW riders to improve their riding skills. :thumb

I'd like to see suggested GS rides in the area or possibly some download able gpx route files available before the event so they could be downloaded before leaving home.

The GS Giants are a very vibrant organization, and a good partnership between them and the MOA would benefit both, but they are only one part of a much larger picture. Not everyone is a dual sport rider, and we have to appeal to more of the diverse BMW riding interests, and be more fun doing it.

However, from another perspective, the "Giant" focus on dirt riding is something that really appeals to a younger group, and goodness knows, us old farts are much too large a percentage of the organization for future club viability. To lose that attraction, without ay replacement is not a good thing. Even though I will pass my 70th birthday a couple of weeks before the 2021 rally I have always enjoyed and participated in their events and seriously doubt if I will be back after this year unless there is something besides vendors to keep my imagination entertained.

I'd like to see a parade of scantily dressed females riding their BMWs.:whistle

I much prefer watching skilled riders of either gender pushing it on twisty roads in protective gear. Some of the best riders I know are women; I appreciate them for reasons other than looks.

I much prefer watching skilled riders of either gender pushing it on twisty roads in protective gear. Some of the best riders I know are women; I appreciate them for reasons other than looks.

That works too .... so long as they have cold beer and pie in tow😁

Back