Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see at the 2020 Great Falls Rally?

I'd like to see more people

I'm roughly half the average age of our current membership. I was introduced to the MOA by a (now) dear friend who invited me to tag along to the 2007 National in West Bend, even though I rode a Honda. So maybe we should all ask some more friends to come along and enjoy all these new ideas!
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    I'd like to see more people

I'm roughly half the average age of our current membership. I was introduced to the MOA by a (now) dear friend who invited me to tag along to the 2007 National in West Bend, even though I rode a Honda. So maybe we should all ask some more friends to come along and enjoy all these new ideas!
    Yes, we should. We all must personally do things to help our rally experience continue.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by TEDZEMLICKA View Post
    How about a parking area for bikes that are for sale? Iím not suggesting a swap meet type of thing, just a spot you could park and hang a sign on your bike. If someone is looking to buy or sell a bike they would have a place to go.
    Back in the day, there was a swap meet area. Did that go away?
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Ah yes, the ever futile search for "fairness" raised its ugly head. Certain vendors who paid a fee to be vendors didn't think it was fair that some dude with a tarp and some old parts could peddle stuff without paying the vendor fee. Not to mention the issue of officials demanding that sales tax be collected at the rally and folks needed tax ID numbers. So the powers that be decided that tarps and parts would become a no-no. Thus the detriment to the membership needing to do some old part shopping.

Bikes for sale seems to be another matter. While there has not been to my knowledge a designated spot, every rally finds several bikes parked in conspicuous locations with for sale signs.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Swap Meet

The swap meet area went away because it was being abused. There were some used part "dealers" that got in where the intent was to provide spots for individuals.
    Complaints were heard from some vendors who were paying for vending spots whereas the swap meet spots were free!
    Boxerbruce

I just heard that BMW Motorad NA will not be bringing demo bikes this year. That has always been a big draw for rally goers seems short sighted on their part!
    Knick
    R1200GS
    Vespa ET4

Quote Originally Posted by hexst View Post
    I just heard that BMW Motorad NA will not be bringing demo bikes this year. That has always been a big draw for rally goers seems short sighted on their part!
    I don't know if this is true. But, last time they said they were not bringing demo bikes the BMW MOA invited Moto Guzzi. As soon as BMW found out they changed their mind and did indeed bring the demo bikes. But so did Moto Guzzi.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Letís invite Ural. Thatíll scare the snot out of BMW Motorrad NA.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I don't know if this is true. But, last time they said they were not bringing demo bikes the BMW MOA invited Moto Guzzi. As soon as BMW found out they changed their mind and did indeed bring the demo bikes. But so did Moto Guzzi.
    Moto Guzzi would be perfect and bring Ural on as well.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Having attended Americade in lake George New York for many years I can tell you the many demo teams were always a huge hit . The more the merrier
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by 1074 View Post
    The swap meet area went away because it was being abused. There were some used part "dealers" that got in where the intent was to provide spots for individuals.
    Complaints were heard from some vendors who were paying for vending spots whereas the swap meet spots were free!
    Really miss this aspect of the rally. It would be easy to keep known vendors from not paying to vend.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
    OP Tori is an MOA staff person. Presumably she is following her thread.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    I have been following and printing out all of the forum pages. I have been putting together and highlighting a lot of the key points that are being made. I have bringing it up to both my supervisor and the rally chairs, as ideas or suggestions come together.

I do appreciate all the feedback every member has been contributing. I have also been going through some of the past forum posts to see if any of those suggestions have been implemented or reviewed.

Tori
    Tori

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    Having attended Americade in lake George New York for many years I can tell you the many demo teams were always a huge hit . The more the merrier
    I test rode a K1 in 1991 or so at the Americade Rally in Lake George. Had that sucker up to 137mph. What a hoot.
    Ron R

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    IIRC, that was the Rhinebeck rally in 1999. Wasn't Triumph there, too?
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

IIRC, that was the Rhinebeck rally in 1999. Wasn't Triumph there, too?
    They might have been. I don't recall the details but do know that as soon as BMWNA knew that other brands would be bringing demo bikes they changed their minds in a hurry.