• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What would you like to see at the 2020 Great Falls Rally?

, I’ve made some good friends just wandering through groups of tents.

Pete

I like to check out bikes in the camping area and it's a easy way to meet people.
All you have to do is stop and complement someones bike or ask a question about the bike.

I like to check out bikes in the camping area and it's a easy way to meet people.
All you have to do is stop and complement someones bike or ask a question about the bike.

Yeah, rallies are definitely places where you need to set aside your introvert tendencies

Games of skill with a bike? Leave a plastic barrel and a soccer net in field. Leave cones in a parking lot. Have slow races. Put a sign up that says play at your own risk. Something to do with a motorcycle that's silly that brings people over to participate or watch without a rigid schedule. It doesn't need more than token oversight if at all. It's play. Like having a horseshoe pit at a BBQ.

Bike games? Good god.... NO!!!

i-7xLSCdf-X3.jpg

I would also like to hear a talk on the GS-911 diagnostic tool but not one of the basic sales pitches but something like "How to get the most out of your GS-911" or "GS-911 advanced features".

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Ted Porter, proprietor of the BeemerShop, may come to the rally, and he puts on seminars about the GS-911. Yes, he sells them, but he is exceptionally knowledgeable about how they function and effective at teaching others. I believe he will answer your questions.

Ted Porter, proprietor of the BeemerShop, may come to the rally, and he puts on seminars about the GS-911. Yes, he sells them, but he is exceptionally knowledgeable about how they function and effective at teaching others. I believe he will answer your questions.

I purchased my GS-911 from him.

There is really no proper manual or how-to for the device. Answering questions is fine but one can only ask questions on what comes to mind or has been encountered. This leaves no opportunity for the discovery of things that rest unknown yet may be really useful. This is why I would prefer a seminar wherein a knowledgeable instructor does an expose on advanced techniques. tricks, tips, how-to, etc.

I think Ted is quite capable of doing what you wish. Contact him and ask. He is quite responsive to questions.

Ted is a super-nice guy, and I feel that we could persuade him to host a panel-oriented (e.g. other knowledgeable members) tech session at the rally.

In general, I feel the rally experience would be better if we had more members doing seminars and fewer sales pitches.... sorta back to where the club used to be.

Ted is a super-nice guy, and I feel that we could persuade him to host a panel-oriented (e.g. other knowledgeable members) tech session at the rally.

In general, I feel the rally experience would be better if we had more members doing seminars and fewer sales pitches.... sorta back to where the club used to be.

YES! Great comment. I recall going to Paul Glaves tech seminars and really got a lot of good info out of them.

YES! Great comment. I recall going to Paul Glaves tech seminars and really got a lot of good info out of them.

And Matt Parkhouse and Tom Cutter and of course Oak Okleshen, all on the bike tech side. Mine, and these were always among the best attended at most rallies. But the experience is so much more than bike tech. I went to a good one on GPS in Lebanon but the truth is that most of the seminars (no I didn't count them) were promotions for oil, tires, or trips.

I like the suggestion of a good in-depth seminar on the GS911. I am sure others may have suggestions. So instead of griping about what has been presented lets make suggestions for new training opportunities which could be presented.

Here, for starters, are my few:

Hands on oil change coaching at the oil change station, scheduled for a 1/2 day. Bring your bike and a coach will talk you through changing your own oil. Come on in and get your hands dirty. Hand cleaner provided.

Hands on tire plugging practice. We did this with GEARS a couple of years. With enough tires and coaches this could be a two hour session or longer if needed rotating the coaches. Folks could walk in, plug a tire or two and walk away better prepared. Different methods could be demonstrated/used.

Trip Planning: how to plan both long and short trips with maps, GPS, computer mapping, telephone apps, weather forecasts, road construction, etc. We did this with GEARS a couple of years too but a larger audience might be interested too.

Accident Scene Management: This is typically a full day course but several years ago Vicki Sanfelipo did a 90 minute overview seminar that covered the most important basics. This could be done again with Vicki or one of the several trained instructors.

More Stuff

Paul great suggestions! Your last suggestion “ accident scene management “ could be made into 3 separate seminars, also adding one on basic first aide kit and one on use of basic first aide kit.

Thanks for that. The part on throttle body sync gets into the territory to which I am referring. Other topics might includes coding capabilities, adaptation resets, ABS bleeding, metric/imperial unit switching......

And another would be activating new TPMS sensors.

BMW mechanics in Great Falls?

Just in case it would be good to know capable BMW motorcycle shop in Great Falls?

Just in case it would be good to know capable BMW motorcycle shop in Great Falls?

To my knowledge there is no shop with experise in BMW's in Great Falls. The lone BMW dealer in Montana is Big Sky Motorsports in Missoula. There was was once an independent shop in Missoula that specialized in BMWs but the owner passed away last year. There is an independent shop in Roberts (southwest of Billings) that works on Airheads and specializes in transmissions. The Airhead Club in Montana is pretty much inactive.

And Matt Parkhouse and Tom Cutter and of course Oak Okleshen, all on the bike tech side. Mine, and these were always among the best attended at most rallies. But the experience is so much more than bike tech. I went to a good one on GPS in Lebanon but the truth is that most of the seminars (no I didn't count them) were promotions for oil, tires, or trips.

I like the suggestion of a good in-depth seminar on the GS911. I am sure others may have suggestions. So instead of griping about what has been presented lets make suggestions for new training opportunities which could be presented.

Hands on oil change coaching at the oil change station, scheduled for a 1/2 day. Bring your bike and a coach will talk you through changing your own oil. Come on in and get your hands dirty. Hand cleaner provided.

Hands on tire plugging practice. We did this with GEARS a couple of years. With enough tires and coaches this could be a two hour session or longer if needed rotating the coaches. Folks could walk in, plug a tire or two and walk away better prepared. Different methods could be demonstrated/used.

Trip Planning: how to plan both long and short trips with maps, GPS, computer mapping, telephone apps, weather forecasts, road construction, etc. We did this with GEARS a couple of years too but a larger audience might be interested too.

Accident Scene Management: This is typically a full day course but several years ago Vicki Sanfelipo did a 90 minute overview seminar that covered the most important basics. This could be done again with Vicki or one of the several trained instructors.

Exactly! Great suggestions.

Do this —->

Basic skills contribute to the riders connection to the machine. This should not be discounted.

Trip Planning: how to plan both long and short trips with maps, GPS, computer mapping, telephone apps, weather forecasts, road construction, etc. We did this with GEARS a couple of years too but a larger audience might be interested too. This could be a four to eight hour course - there are so many tricks and nuances ...

Accident Scene Management: This is typically a full day course but several years ago Vicki Sanfelipo did a 90 minute overview seminar that covered the most important basics. This could be done again with Vicki or one of the several trained instructors. A vitally important topic as our demographic ages. Add DVT and associated considerations for the aging rider.

Older = wiser ??

Basic skills contribute to the riders connection to the machine. This should not be discounted.

Trip Planning: how to plan both long and short trips with maps, GPS, computer mapping, telephone apps, weather forecasts, road construction, etc. We did this with GEARS a couple of years too but a larger audience might be interested too. This could be a four to eight hour course - there are so many tricks and nuances ...

Accident Scene Management: This is typically a full day course but several years ago Vicki Sanfelipo did a 90 minute overview seminar that covered the most important basics. This could be done again with Vicki or one of the several trained instructors. A vitally important topic as our demographic ages. Add DVT and associated considerations for the aging rider.

Older = wiser ??

Funny but I volunteered at the oil change booth for 2 or 3 years and it was a blast. We were instructed NOT to do any of the work which we (for the most part :blush followed) but on quite a few instances we gave "guidance" on how to do it correctly. There are always tools, hand cleaner and towels for folks to use. Many of the folks coming to change his/her oil actually are well skilled and prefer the time to just do things as they prefer but other need some nudging in the right direction.

I like the idea of fewer sales pitches masquerading as seminars. As an alternative, could they at least be listed as sales pitches (or some PC alternative) on the list of seminars?

To encourage mortals to present at rallies could presenters get a year extension on their MOA membership or be included in the ON presenters’ dinner?

Back