• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What would you like to see at the 2020 Great Falls Rally?

Can we have more "Other" at the Great Falls Rally? It's a money maker so we should do it.......

Information Gazebo - do it again!

The information gazebo (not a booth, but an open, sheltered place) at the very center of the rally, staffed by 2 fuzzy dogs and the lovely couple who takes care of them, was extremely helpful in TN. It became a community gathering place. Let's try to do something like that again.

memory 1.jpg

The Sweet information Booth Committee

Rhonda, Tracy, Ellie, and Sophie all say thanks. They look forward to seeing everybody again next year. Me thinks Ellie and Sophie will have to sit this next one out. 2000 miles one way might be a little stressful on the little ones.

Love you brother

Great Falls Rally

I generally agree with most on this thread. Discounts for trips give aways should be relegated to the dailies, and total trip prizes should be raffled at the closing ceremony. Give recognition to those people and businesses that supported the MOA and the Rally significantly. I'm also looking forward to Great Falls and it'll be around 2200 miles one way. I figure 5-6 days out, use the Rally to rest up, maybe a side trip to Going to the Sun (last time was 2012 I think), and maybe west by north west to that park for a run up and down it, and rest up the rest of the time, for the 5-6 day run back. 3 weeker all in all:

rightFront.jpg

I'll say
1. Lebanon was my first MOA rally.
2. I did not find it to be a the welcoming social event portrayed in the magazine.
3. I left Saturday because all of Kentucky and West Virginia seemed a whole lot more interesting than staying another night.

#2 can very well be on me. I met some people near my camp site who were cool but they were doing their own thing tailgating in the field. I mostly went riding during the day because once you went thru the place in the hour that it took... there wasn't anything else to do but hit up the beer tent, wait for a slot to open in all of the sold out things, or stand in a field in the hot sun. I went riding instead. I was only at the rally for the evening, listening to the band and having a beer with the guy I rode in with. Now, there isn't anything wrong with that scenario except I can do that at any campground anywhere in the country all the time. I rode to TN to be social. It didn't pan out. By comparison to other groups (GSGiants, YankeeBeemers, etc) it was the least welcoming-to-a-new-guy rally I've attended by a wide margin.

So... without the spilt milk - here is what would have made me stay until Sunday:

- add more things I can do with my motorcycle on the grounds so I don't need to leave to find something to do during the day. Increase the capacity of things you offer now so a guy who signs up at the last minute can get into "something". Is there a reason that the things are full with 25 people when there are 6000 coming? I get that some vendor/donors have limits... Fix that a bit if possible. Add more of them. Leave some cones in a parking lot and let us play.
- Don't bitch at people for filling their own re-usable cups from the water jugs instead of using disposable wax paper thimbles with drinking water on a 90F day. Have someone refill the jug more often. This seriously made me want to throat punch someone. Even a lousy campground has drinking water you can fill your own cup with. Make drinking/camp usage water a priority. Nobody wants to have to take their camp dishes in the shower with them.
- Add some healthy food options and make sure that your food vendors are capable of serving the volume that shows up. Waiting 2hrs for a $7 pulled pork sandwich is not a thing when there is a good BBQ place just across the street selling better food for less money and in walking distance. And really... it was an awesome accident that they were there. It was closer to go across the street than it was to walk to the beer tent.

I think that's it. In spite of the negative tone I'm sure this will be read in... the event was well organized and well run. It was just sterile, a bit over booked on anything extra curricular and a bit under-serving to the customer paying to camp in a field. If I come to Montana it will be for a place to crash in Montana that I know will have tires, not really for the rally.

Last edited:
- Don't bitch at people for filling their own re-usable cups from the water jugs instead of using disposable wax paper thimbles with drinking water on a 90F day. Have someone refill the jug more often. This seriously made me want to throat punch someone. Even a lousy campground has drinking water you can fill your own cup with. Make drinking/camp usage water a priority. Nobody wants to have to take their camp dishes in the shower with them.

Wow. I experienced this at the St. Paul rally, a very rude approach by what I assume was a volunteer when I drew a half-mug of water from a water jug instead of using the ridiculous paper cups, some of which were littering the area. I’m surprised that approach was present at a subsequent rally. I get that it’s a demanding task to stay ahead of supplying hydration when the weather is hot, but that frustration should not be directed at attendees- it should be directed toward addressing the root issue creating problems. More jugs, bigger jugs, more frequent refills, a water trailer parked in the camping area, whatever it takes. But IMHO berating attendees definitely shouldn’t be in the mix..

Best,
DeVer

I'll say
1. Lebanon was my first MOA rally.
2. I did not find it to be a the welcoming social event portrayed in the magazine.
3. I left Saturday because all of Kentucky and West Virginia seemed a whole lot more interesting than staying another night.

#2 can very well be on me. I met some people near my camp site who were cool but they were doing their own thing tailgating in the field. I mostly went riding during the day because once you went thru the place in the hour that it took... there wasn't anything else to do but hit up the beer tent, wait for a slot to open in all of the sold out things, or stand in a field in the hot sun. I went riding instead. I was only at the rally for the evening, listening to the band and having a beer with the guy I rode in with. Now, there isn't anything wrong with that scenario except I can do that at any campground anywhere in the country all the time. I rode to TN to be social. It didn't pan out. By comparison to other groups (GSGiants, YankeeBeemers, etc) it was the least welcoming-to-a-new-guy rally I've attended by a wide margin.

So... without the spilt milk - here is what would have made me stay until Sunday:

- add more things I can do with my motorcycle on the grounds so I don't need to leave to find something to do during the day. Increase the capacity of things you offer now so a guy who signs up at the last minute can get into "something". Is there a reason that the things are full with 25 people when there are 6000 coming? I get that some vendor/donors have limits... Fix that a bit if possible. Add more of them. Leave some cones in a parking lot and let us play.
- Add some healthy food options and make sure that your food vendors are capable of serving the volume that shows up. Waiting 2hrs for a $7 pulled pork sandwich is not a thing when there is a good BBQ place just across the street selling better food for less money and in walking distance. And really... it was an awesome accident that they were there. It was closer to go across the street than it was to walk to the beer tent.

I think that's it. In spite of the negative tone I'm sure this will be read in... the event was well organized and well run. It was just sterile, a bit over booked on anything extra curricular and a bit under-serving to the customer paying to camp in a field. If I come to Montana it will be for a place to crash in Montana that I know will have tires, not really for the rally.

WOW! This was an interesting post for sure. Can't comment on a lot other than the note about Increase the capacity of things you offer now so a guy who signs up at the last minute can get into "something". How about not waiting until the last minute to sign up? :scratch Just saying.

Oh and Rally Food is well Rally Food and those vendors have to cover their cost. Lines are not fun though and I always wonder why there are not more food and beverage vendors.

And an hour to get through ALL the vendors? Really? I must be a slo poke as it takes me the better part of a day to see it all.

WOW! This was an interesting post for sure. Can't comment on a lot other than the note about Increase the capacity of things you offer now so a guy who signs up at the last minute can get into "something". How about not waiting until the last minute to sign up? :scratch Just saying.

I think that's a bit unfair. It was his first rally and if he is like I was at my first he had no idea what to expect. Newcomers wander around getting the lay of the land, and by mid-morning all the slots have been filled. Also, if a newcomer arrives Friday afternoon or Saturday, he or she finds slots filled - whether skill-building or vendors doing on-site installations. I can see where not knowing that in advance could be frustrating. Perhaps a link to a first timer orientation packet on the registration webpage..?

Water has been a perennial issue. When Barley and I volunteered for Gunga Din duty at St Paul we really had to hustle to keep the dispensers full...and more than once ran into members yelling at each other for taking "more than their fair share" by filling their own larger cups. The half cup paper cones were insufficient to slake one's thirst and, like he said, littered the grounds.

Pete

huckleberry said:
By comparison to other groups (GSGiants, YankeeBeemers, etc) it was the least welcoming-to-a-new-guy rally I've attended by a wide margin.

Thank you for noticing the key reason that the GS Giants were formed...

Too bad they’re not part of the rally anymore. :sad

Ian

For the record: the sweet information both has been giving out free cold bottled water as much as you want as many times as you want, with a smile every since Salt Lake City (2017). Rhonda and her cochairs give out free hygiene products, and snack items (while supplies last) in addition to information. It’s the booth with the lady with tattoos, little white dogs, and a southern accent.

If you can’t find it, it’s the gazebo or stand at rally central that says SWEET INFORMATION BOOTH.

I think that's a bit unfair. It was his first rally and if he is like I was at my first he had no idea what to expect. Newcomers wander around getting the lay of the land, and by mid-morning all the slots have been filled. Also, if a newcomer arrives Friday afternoon or Saturday, he or she finds slots filled - whether skill-building or vendors doing on-site installations. I can see where not knowing that in advance could be frustrating. Perhaps a link to a first timer orientation packet on the registration webpage..?

Water has been a perennial issue. When Barley and I volunteered for Gunga Din duty at St Paul we really had to hustle to keep the dispensers full...and more than once ran into members yelling at each other for taking "more than their fair share" by filling their own larger cups. The half cup paper cones were insufficient to slake one's thirst and, like he said, littered the grounds.

Pete

Pete ... sorry if my response was interpreted as harsh or unfair that was not my intention. The point I was trying to make is that at ANY event where you know there will be thousands of attendees it would be a good idea to register for stuff early. And if not then understand that last minute arrivals will get what is available is any. Heck as a non-camper I've already booked my rooms for Great Falls knowing that last minute booking might mean a long ride to the Rally.

Huckleberry,

At my first MOA Rally, like you, I knew very few people but I was busy attending seminars and speaking with vendors. Unlike you, I had no need to leave the rally grounds

One opportunity that is available on the grounds where new friends can be made at any of the MOA Rallies is volunteering for a two, three or four hour stint. The rally, for the most part, relies on volunteers. By being a volunteer, besides taking an active part in the rally, you are expanding the number of people, riders, who may have similar interests as you. There were ample openings where new friendships could have made your experience more inclusive.

I am sorry you did not explore this avenue.

Anytime I attend an event/new trail or even a location (GPS :banghead ) it seems it’s better the next time when I have a better idea of what is going on.
OM

Pete ... sorry if my response was interpreted as harsh or unfair that was not my intention. The point I was trying to make is that at ANY event where you know there will be thousands of attendees it would be a good idea to register for stuff early. And if not then understand that last minute arrivals will get what is available is any. Heck as a non-camper I've already booked my rooms for Great Falls knowing that last minute booking might mean a long ride to the Rally.

I wouldn't say it was harsh - but I'm not retired. I have to make sure I am not booked at a customer before I can make plans. There is no such thing as "a year in advance". I signed up about a month in advance and arrived on the 1st day. But, like someone else pointed out, I'd never been to one so I was not aware that there would be zero openings. I'll turn it around a bit... why would I expect a venue having 6000 guests to have none open DURING the event. Imagine you went to a roller coaster park but had to register for each ride separately in advance and nobody told you that until you were there.

Huckleberry,

At my first MOA Rally, like you, I knew very few people but I was busy attending seminars and speaking with vendors. Unlike you, I had no need to leave the rally grounds

One opportunity that is available on the grounds where new friends can be made at any of the MOA Rallies is volunteering for a two, three or four hour stint. The rally, for the most part, relies on volunteers. By being a volunteer, besides taking an active part in the rally, you are expanding the number of people, riders, who may have similar interests as you. There were ample openings where new friendships could have made your experience more inclusive.

I am sorry you did not explore this avenue.

Someone did mention this when I arrived - but I thought I should experience it before I tried my hand at working there. It may have been a mistake. If I do give it another chance I'll find the sign up sheet but ... if the best way to meet people at a rally is to work there perhaps there is a missed opportunity for group activities where people would come to compete or play at something?

- Don't bitch at people for filling their own re-usable cups from the water jugs instead of using disposable wax paper thimbles with drinking water on a 90F day..

In Des Moines my wife and I spent the week refilling water and ice.
It was very hot that week and we felt the little cups were too small.
When I asked about using larger cup I was told it would cost too much.
I feel it would be money well spent to at least have larger cups at the registration area so people can re-hydrate when they first arrive.

I didn't have a problem with people filling their rally cup with water, just don't dip your camelback into the jug :)

I wouldn't say it was harsh - but I'm not retired. I have to make sure I am not booked at a customer before I can make plans. There is no such thing as "a year in advance". I signed up about a month in advance and arrived on the 1st day. But, like someone else pointed out, I'd never been to one so I was not aware that there would be zero openings. I'll turn it around a bit... why would I expect a venue having 6000 guests to have none open DURING the event. Imagine you went to a roller coaster park but had to register for each ride separately in advance and nobody told you that until you were there.

Funny ... but someone just told me that is now an option at Disney World! Jeeesh who knew!

To understand the issue I need clarification as to what is meant by, " Increase the capacity of things you offer now so a guy who signs up at the last minute can get into 'something'." I don't understand what that "something" might mean. I do know that getting BMW Motorrad USA test rides requires signing up early in the day, but that doesn't equate to needing to register for the rally early vs just showing up at the gate. Other than maybe a bar crawl I don't understand what else this refers to, except maybe getting a tire installed.

In a way I understand that some rally goers can be quite cliquish. That is the reason I am opposed to reserved "Club Camping" areas. That just fosters exclusion of others. I prefer a go forth and find new friends approach, but I will never win this argument. When I was BMW MOAPresident I tried to discourage this but the rally chair prevailed. But, in 34 national rallies I have never camped in a reserved area with a club I belong to and never will.

Efforts to integrate new rally attendees include the #1 buttons passed out by the Ambassadors. However, if a person blows through that building, or never enters it, the #1 program is of little use.

To understand the issue I need clarification as to what is meant by, " Increase the capacity of things you offer now so a guy who signs up at the last minute can get into 'something'." I don't understand what that "something" might mean. I do know that getting BMW Motorrad USA test rides requires signing up early in the day, but that doesn't equate to needing to register for the rally early vs just showing up at the gate. Other than maybe a bar crawl I don't understand what else this refers to, except maybe getting a tire installed.

Games of skill with a bike? Leave a plastic barrel and a soccer net in field. Leave cones in a parking lot. Have slow races. Put a sign up that says play at your own risk. Something to do with a motorcycle that's silly that brings people over to participate or watch without a rigid schedule. It doesn't need more than token oversight if at all. It's play. Like having a horseshoe pit at a BBQ.

In a way I understand that some rally goers can be quite cliquish. That is the reason I am opposed to reserved "Club Camping" areas. That just fosters exclusion of others. I prefer a go forth and find new friends approach, but I will never win this argument. When I was BMW MOAPresident I tried to discourage this but the rally chair prevailed. But, in 34 national rallies I have never camped in a reserved area with a club I belong to and never will.

I suppose if I was traveling with more than a few people or meeting them there from all over the country it would be nice to pool resources and that's hard to do from opposite ends of a big place. I get why reservations would be desirable. Forced inclusiveness isn't inclusiveness. If people don't want to mingle they won't. But I imagine a lot of people want to share a cooler or grill and may be arriving on different days.

Efforts to integrate new rally attendees include the #1 buttons passed out by the Ambassadors. However, if a person blows through that building, or never enters it, the #1 program is of little use.

I had one of those. Not one person mentioned it. So, I guess it doesn't work if the other 5999 people at the rally don't know what it means either. I did say hello to another guy walking around with one but his urgency for a job johnny kept us from becoming lifelong friends :). I didn't see any others.

One point Huckleberry made that hasn’t been commented on was to leave the cones up after the organized training is over (or words to that effect). Great idea! We have this huge chunk of real estate laid out with cones where - when the organized events are over - others could work at improving their low speed maneuvering skills

Paul’s comment about cliques rings true with me and it doesn’t only happen in the group camping areas. (In fact, I’ve made some good friends just wandering through groups of tents.) As I mentioned before, Barley and I had a great time driving around refilling water urns at St Paul. It was so much fun, and so important for the comfort of others, that we tried to sign up for that volunteer duty at a subsequent rally...only to find that some group with exclusionary views didn’t welcome “outsiders.” I’ve been to enough rallies to know that’s not the norm and to not take it personally, but for a first timer that would have been a real slap down

Pete

Back