Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see at the 2020 Great Falls Rally?

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Ted is a super-nice guy, and I feel that we could persuade him to host a panel-oriented (e.g. other knowledgeable members) tech session at the rally.

In general, I feel the rally experience would be better if we had more members doing seminars and fewer sales pitches.... sorta back to where the club used to be.
    YES! Great comment. I recall going to Paul Glaves tech seminars and really got a lot of good info out of them.
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    YES! Great comment. I recall going to Paul Glaves tech seminars and really got a lot of good info out of them.
    And Matt Parkhouse and Tom Cutter and of course Oak Okleshen, all on the bike tech side. Mine, and these were always among the best attended at most rallies. But the experience is so much more than bike tech. I went to a good one on GPS in Lebanon but the truth is that most of the seminars (no I didn't count them) were promotions for oil, tires, or trips.

I like the suggestion of a good in-depth seminar on the GS911. I am sure others may have suggestions. So instead of griping about what has been presented lets make suggestions for new training opportunities which could be presented.

Here, for starters, are my few:

Hands on oil change coaching at the oil change station, scheduled for a 1/2 day. Bring your bike and a coach will talk you through changing your own oil. Come on in and get your hands dirty. Hand cleaner provided.

Hands on tire plugging practice. We did this with GEARS a couple of years. With enough tires and coaches this could be a two hour session or longer if needed rotating the coaches. Folks could walk in, plug a tire or two and walk away better prepared. Different methods could be demonstrated/used.

Trip Planning: how to plan both long and short trips with maps, GPS, computer mapping, telephone apps, weather forecasts, road construction, etc. We did this with GEARS a couple of years too but a larger audience might be interested too.

Accident Scene Management: This is typically a full day course but several years ago Vicki Sanfelipo did a 90 minute overview seminar that covered the most important basics. This could be done again with Vicki or one of the several trained instructors.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

More Stuff

Paul great suggestions! Your last suggestion “ accident scene management “ could be made into 3 separate seminars, also adding one on basic first aide kit and one on use of basic first aide kit.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
    Thanks for that. The part on throttle body sync gets into the territory to which I am referring. Other topics might includes coding capabilities, adaptation resets, ABS bleeding, metric/imperial unit switching......

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    And another would be activating new TPMS sensors.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

BMW mechanics in Great Falls?

Just in case it would be good to know capable BMW motorcycle shop in Great Falls?

Quote Originally Posted by a57m2000 View Post
    Just in case it would be good to know capable BMW motorcycle shop in Great Falls?
    To my knowledge there is no shop with experise in BMW's in Great Falls. The lone BMW dealer in Montana is Big Sky Motorsports in Missoula. There was was once an independent shop in Missoula that specialized in BMWs but the owner passed away last year. There is an independent shop in Roberts (southwest of Billings) that works on Airheads and specializes in transmissions. The Airhead Club in Montana is pretty much inactive.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    And Matt Parkhouse and Tom Cutter and of course Oak Okleshen, all on the bike tech side. Mine, and these were always among the best attended at most rallies. But the experience is so much more than bike tech. I went to a good one on GPS in Lebanon but the truth is that most of the seminars (no I didn't count them) were promotions for oil, tires, or trips.

I like the suggestion of a good in-depth seminar on the GS911. I am sure others may have suggestions. So instead of griping about what has been presented lets make suggestions for new training opportunities which could be presented.

Hands on oil change coaching at the oil change station, scheduled for a 1/2 day. Bring your bike and a coach will talk you through changing your own oil. Come on in and get your hands dirty. Hand cleaner provided.

Hands on tire plugging practice. We did this with GEARS a couple of years. With enough tires and coaches this could be a two hour session or longer if needed rotating the coaches. Folks could walk in, plug a tire or two and walk away better prepared. Different methods could be demonstrated/used.

Trip Planning: how to plan both long and short trips with maps, GPS, computer mapping, telephone apps, weather forecasts, road construction, etc. We did this with GEARS a couple of years too but a larger audience might be interested too.

Accident Scene Management: This is typically a full day course but several years ago Vicki Sanfelipo did a 90 minute overview seminar that covered the most important basics. This could be done again with Vicki or one of the several trained instructors.
    Exactly! Great suggestions.
    Ed Apelian

Do this —->

Basic skills contribute to the riders connection to the machine. This should not be discounted.

Trip Planning: how to plan both long and short trips with maps, GPS, computer mapping, telephone apps, weather forecasts, road construction, etc. We did this with GEARS a couple of years too but a larger audience might be interested too. This could be a four to eight hour course - there are so many tricks and nuances ...

Accident Scene Management: This is typically a full day course but several years ago Vicki Sanfelipo did a 90 minute overview seminar that covered the most important basics. This could be done again with Vicki or one of the several trained instructors. A vitally important topic as our demographic ages. Add DVT and associated considerations for the aging rider.

Older = wiser ??

Quote Originally Posted by Bibbs View Post

Basic skills contribute to the riders connection to the machine. This should not be discounted.

Trip Planning: how to plan both long and short trips with maps, GPS, computer mapping, telephone apps, weather forecasts, road construction, etc. We did this with GEARS a couple of years too but a larger audience might be interested too. This could be a four to eight hour course - there are so many tricks and nuances ...

Accident Scene Management: This is typically a full day course but several years ago Vicki Sanfelipo did a 90 minute overview seminar that covered the most important basics. This could be done again with Vicki or one of the several trained instructors. A vitally important topic as our demographic ages. Add DVT and associated considerations for the aging rider.

Older = wiser ??
    Funny but I volunteered at the oil change booth for 2 or 3 years and it was a blast. We were instructed NOT to do any of the work which we (for the most part followed) but on quite a few instances we gave "guidance" on how to do it correctly. There are always tools, hand cleaner and towels for folks to use. Many of the folks coming to change his/her oil actually are well skilled and prefer the time to just do things as they prefer but other need some nudging in the right direction.
    Ed Apelian

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I like the idea of fewer sales pitches masquerading as seminars. As an alternative, could they at least be listed as sales pitches (or some PC alternative) on the list of seminars?

To encourage mortals to present at rallies could presenters get a year extension on their MOA membership or be included in the ON presenters’ dinner?
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    I like the idea of fewer sales pitches masquerading as seminars. As an alternative, could they at least be listed as sales pitches (or some PC alternative) on the list of seminars?

To encourage mortals to present at rallies could presenters get a year extension on their MOA membership or be included in the ON presenters’ dinner?
    Great idea! While I believe most would present for free with no compensation but including a year membership is a great idea. The best seminars I've attended were those presented by folks with nothing to sell other than information and advice.
    Ed Apelian

Quote Originally Posted by a57m2000 View Post
    Doug..... the return of Doug or people like him. That would be great to see at the rally.

(for those unawares, Doug used to haul a shop-in-a-trailer to the rally and fix people's bikes. There were huge windows on both sides so that you could watch him work. Best. Show. In. Town.)

I wonder, now that we've refilled our rally coffers, if we could help a vendor or vendors do something like this? Maybe something as simple as comping their exhibitor fee.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Doug..... the return of Doug or people like him. That would be great to see at the rally.

(for those unawares, Doug used to haul a shop-in-a-trailer to the rally and fix people's bikes. There were huge windows on both sides so that you could watch him work. Best. Show. In. Town.)

I wonder, now that we've refilled our rally coffers, if we could help a vendor or vendors do something like this? Maybe something as simple as comping their exhibitor fee.
    And don't forget Robert, the Tire Nazi. Doug and Robert were often better entertainment that what was presented in the Biergarten.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

I'm glad he was at the Fredericksburg Texas National.
    Debbie had a rear main seal leaking on her K75S and the two BMW shops said they were too busy to do the repair.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    And don't forget Robert, the Tire Nazi. Doug and Robert were often better entertainment that what was presented in the Biergarten.

Friedle
    Also don't forget Red with his milk crate stand for working on motorcycles. Talk about a "show."
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/