• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which is correct?

shortythorne

shortythorne
My GPS trip info is always different from my odometer. In other words, if I set my GPS mileage to 0 and the odometer to 0 at the start of a ride, why is the mileage reading always different when you compare the two? Also, my mileage is always different (at least 10-15 miles)from other bikes ridden the exact same number of miles. :scratch Which is accurate? Thanks, Gail:)

My GPS trip info is always different from my odometer. In other words, if I set my GPS mileage to 0 and the odometer to 0 at the start of a ride, why is the mileage reading always different when you compare the two? Also, my mileage is always different (at least 10-15 miles)from other bikes ridden the exact same number of miles. :scratch Which is accurate? Thanks, Gail:)

Generally the GPS distance is very accurate. This is most true on the straightest roads. In heavy woods, canyons, and urban canyons amidst tall buildings sometimes it gets a little off. Our experience on lots of bikes is that over or under counting by the bike's odometer can often be in the 3% to 4% range, and on occasional bikes a bunch more than that. I trust my GPS and other than the tripmeter for gas stops pretty much ignore the odometer. There was one case where a guy threatened to sue BMW because he thought his 36,000 mile warranty ran out 5% or so too soon.

Is the GPS consistently higher or lower than than the odometer, or is there no pattern?

Is it your GPS mileage, or your odometer that is different from those you ride with? Is it 10-15 miles higher, or lower?

Is the GPS consistently higher or lower than than the odometer, or is there no pattern?

Is it your GPS mileage, or your odometer that is different from those you ride with? Is it 10-15 miles higher, or lower?
My GPS is always higher mileage than the odometer.The odometer is different from those I ride with, and is lower.

Generally the GPS distance is very accurate. This is most true on the straightest roads. In heavy woods, canyons, and urban canyons amidst tall buildings sometimes it gets a little off. Our experience on lots of bikes is that over or under counting by the bike's odometer can often be in the 3% to 4% range, and on occasional bikes a bunch more than that. I trust my GPS and other than the tripmeter for gas stops pretty much ignore the odometer. There was one case where a guy threatened to sue BMW because he thought his 36,000 mile warranty ran out 5% or so too soon.

Thanks Paul!:wave

Have you ever calibrated your odometer to the mileage markers on the Interstate? For those of us with few farkles, this is something we do to while away the time! ;) Do it over a good distance like 5 or 10 miles. That will give you another independent data point for comparison.

The GPS just has to deal w/ sattelite lock and coverage. But your odometer deals with several mechanical issues including tire size, drive ratios, etc.

My GPS is always higher mileage than the odometer.The odometer is different from those I ride with, and is lower.

So the odometer consistently reads lower than the GPS and other riders’ odometers. Got it.

In my experience, when riding on 2-wheels GPS usually gives a LOWER mileage readout than the odometer. This is usually attributed to the way GPS plots positions at a designated sample rate, and then measures the distance between those points by connecting them with straight lines, rather than exactly measuring the path taken by the vehicle. Whereas the odometer is measuring the distance travelled by the tire as it rolls over the exact path taken by the bike.

So your results are - - opposite. It could just be a minor design flaw or poorly calibrated odometer. Another variable that can affect odometer readings is if the tires have been changed from the oem spec size. Tire pressure and payload can also increase or decrease the wheel/tire radius, which in turn alters the tire circumference measurement that the odometer’s calibration is based on.

From my perspective, having a “low” reading on the odometer is better than the alternative.:dunno

On our G310GSs both odometers are within 1/2 of 1% of the GPS miles, and they both read the same: that is on a 500 mile or more day they will accumulate exactly the same number of miles. They are the first BMW odometers I consider to be accurate.

Back